Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Yeah, but all it'd have to take is one stay in a bad marina... your boat would become the anode for the whole stinking place...
There are not many (if any) production sailboats in the US, but there are several in Europe, mostly in Holland and France. Most of the French and Dutch sailors regard the aluminum sailboat as the perfect passagemaker and if they have not more itīs because they are so expensive. But they have lots of them and the production of OVNIs (the biggest manufacturer) has increased vastly in the last years. There are a lot of old French aluminum boats without any corrosion problem, and that's a fact.

I can tell you that electric corrosion on modern production boats is not a problem anymore (if it were, they would no be so desired). I don't know technically much about the subject but talking with someone from the OVNI shipyard some years ago, I remember that he has said that had to do with improper aluminum quality and with bad electrical wiring. He said that the bad fame of the Aluminum boats comes from amateurs that use cheap and improper aluminum grade and don't have a clue of the specific needs of an electrical system on an aluminum boat.

Or on the words of Michael Kasten and Jimmy Cornell:

Jimmy Cornell's Ocean Cruising Survey, a valuable indicator of trends among world-voyaging cruisers, shows that metal boats are on the increase. A metal hull was the number-one wish of those with other hull materials. "My next boat will be metal..." was heard over and over, particularly by those who were already cruising aboard a metal boat.

It is said among dedicated blue water cruisers in the South Pacific, "50% of the boats are metal; the rest of them are from the United States...." Although it may seem so at times, this statement is fortunately not 100% true!!

In terms of cost, we usually observe that displacement is more important than length. Aluminum is the ideal material for building a lightweight boat.
With correctly applied protective coatings where needed, adequate zincs, a proper electrical system, and good care over time, an aluminum boat will last indefinitely.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-07-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
For an aluminum boat to be properly wired EVERY AC & DC circuit is dual pole, breaking both positive and negative or hot and neutral in the case of AC. All underwater metals are aluminum except shaft and prop. Se this link for the description of a very good offshore cruiser in aluminum. There have been no corrosion problems in many years. It is owned by Peter Smith, inventor of the Rocna. About “Kiwi Roa”
Old 02-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Se this link for the description of a very good offshore cruiser in aluminum. About “Kiwi Roa”
I believe it is a good boat, but has to be so ugly?

When you win that lottery of yours have a look at the Designs from this Guy:

Naval Architect and Yacht Design | | Dick Zaal Yacht Design

It is the one that made the "Contest" famous by its seaworthiness. It is one of the best designers of Aluminum boats. He designed the Atlantic series, a small production aluminium boat. They have a big defect.... I can not afford them

Atlantic
Old 02-07-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Paulo
Yes I know of Dick Zaal and his history with Contest. I think his Northern Comfort is interesting. I wouldn't want a lifting keel and I'd certainly take advantage of aluminum by having a watertight bulkhead aft of the anchor/sail/line storage forward. At a loss of interior space however. A lot of people wouldn't find it a pretty boat though. I also know of the Atlantics you linked to - their catalog is on my desktop but I don't speak Dutch. Kiwi Roa is not my favorite, just a good example of a trouble free go anywhere cruiser in aluminum. My favorite designs are Steve Dashew's Sundeer and Deerfoot designs.
Attached Thumbnails
Your perfect boat?-1.jpg   Your perfect boat?-sundeer.jpg  
Old 02-07-2010
top of the morning to u

drewdunnrespect2006 is on a distinguished road
the one that sits in the photo that i have as my avatar and that is twenty one foot long and is my orginal boat that i sold to the gf then went to a 36footer then realised it was to big and swapped it for my old one plus the diffrence and am now one happy boat owner drew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rock on dude have a good en
Old 02-08-2010

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Nothing to do here but shovel snow, so I might as well dream

My perfect boat is about 32' +/- has a huge cockpit, wheel steering and an inboard. Now, if prices of the Alerion Express and J-95 would drop, I'd be in business.
Old 02-08-2010

The j-95 is a great and fast boat but has not properly a huge cockpit. This one has...and it's also fast:

http://www.pogostructures.com/?m=3&s=10&l=en

Do you know this one?

Now about that wheel, it is probably a bad idea on a small and fast boat.
Old 02-08-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

It's not the cost of the boat, or sail inventory, I just can't seem to find 11 friends to sail it with me. Yeah, that's it...
Old 02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post

It's not the cost of the boat, or sail inventory, I just can't seem to find 11 friends to sail it with me. Yeah, that's it...
If it is not the cost , buy this one (and invite me for a ride). Thatīs probably as fast as the one you have posted and it's made for solo (or small crew) fast sailing and cruising. It has a very nice interior.

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/chantier/photo/2164/ourson-rapide-voici-le-dernier-60-pieds-open-finot-conq

http://www.oursonrapide.com/home.php

http://bymnews.com/photos//thumbnails.php?album=742

http://www.segel.de/segelnachrichten-2009/aktuell/2009-07-10.html

Last edited by PCP; 02-09-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2010

jmolan is on a distinguished road
For many who like Aluminum, there is a well traveled and documented boat.

S/V Hawk

I have always like these kind of boats, as well as Dashew's boats.

Evan and Beth recently received an award from one of the sailing foundations for all of their travel in high latitudes. The boat is very simple, and Evan outlines all of his thinking on how the built it and outfitted it. They are the real deal.

I have a 34' Searunner Trimaran. Center Cockpit, weight in the center, all controls and mast right there in the cockpit. True cutter rig, galley and living separate from sleeping areas. I can fix anything on the boat myself. Give's good ride and speed for cruising. Feels very secure in a blow (you are 10' from the water in the center cockpit) Sleep 6 if we need to, 4 in dedicated bunks. Designed for a couple to cruise. 6'6" draft with board down 2' with board up. Cockpit is 6'6" long, can sleep in it. 9.9 HP Outboard pushes us at 6-7 kts at 2/3 throttle, will make 4 kts in almost no breeze. Great light air boat, I sail on and off the hook all the time, rarely motor. (cost 25k and another 10k to get it where it is today)

The Searunner is a perfect boat for this part of my life. The ultimate for me is here:

Hammerhead 54 Trimaran High Performance Cruising Catamarans and Trimarans by Chris White Designs

I cannot for some reason post any photos of my boat, but there are a lot of photos in the URL below, mixed in with wireless mono's (no more wire rigging)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jmolan; 02-09-2010 at 02:39 PM.