Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Your perfect boat?

I saw a thread a while ago where Jeff_H was asked about his perfect boat. While I found it informative, I feel keeping those conversations to people who actually know what they're talking about is really opposed to what the Internet is all about, so with that in mind, I think we should all pitch in with our perfect boats. Bonus points for idiosyncrasies that make no sense whatsoever.

I'll get the ball rolling:
(note once again: I don't know anything, and if you do anything based on anything I say you're dumber than me. )

My perfect boat comes in at about 30 feet LOA. She's a very small live-aboard for 1, daysailer for 4 type of boat for coastal work and occasional offshore passages. (of 2 or 3 people max)

Below decks her layout is similar to a catalina 270, if a bit narrower, with a hot water shower midship, 2 burner stove, small oven, and ice box under the counter. (not sure how the icebox being near the stove is going to work out, may need to work on that.)

Motor will be an outboard only, because engines intimidate the hell out of me. How will I get that hot water shower working you ask? Good question. Perhaps using a water heater that runs off of whatever the stove runs off of (propane?)

The cockpit will be small, and somewhat protected. Steering will be tiller, and it'll be laid out so if anything goes wonky I can follow the steering all the way to the rudder (does this mean it's hung off the back? Is that going to work well at all? )

The main will be full batten, as much roach as I can get without running backstays, (I know, not much) with ample reefing ability ( at least 3 reef points, jiffy reefing, led aft with the rest of the lines) mainly because I can't work up the nerve to get, maintain and sail a gaff rigged boat. No fancy roller reefing on the main. If anything, a set of lazy jacks for taking her down, but that's about it. The foresail will be roller-reefing, and the asymmetrical spinnaker will be kept in a sock, for easy deployment and recovery.

The bowsprit will be wood with a brass cap. Even if its only a 2 foot stub, even if it will just be a place to ride as the boat is plowing through the water, it's really a must have, just like the perfect home really needs a wood burning fireplace or stove. My first love (The 92' topsail ketch Argus) and my last (my 19' sloop Josie, which had a wonderful little 2' bowsprit) both had one, and damn it, my next boat will have one too.

While I'm at it, I know I cant pull off a crows nest, but perhaps a ratline or two on the shrouds to allow for some better visibility, and just the sense of climbing up the lines (makes a great place to dive from too. )

the hull will be cored with something other than wood, one of those neat high tech materials that isn't AS susceptible to rot, and the mast will be sealed, with the lines run up the outside, just another little bit to help it self-right were I to do something stupid like put her in the drink.

I'm not entirely sure what the underbody would look like, hopefully something somewhat modern, with decent tracking, but still something which might be able to take a gentle grounding, without killing me. If it's something that shed kelp as well, that would be awesome. I need to do some more armchair research here before coming up with my ultimate correct only-ever right answer for this.

Beyond that, toss some solar cells on the back, and possibly even davets for a small wooden dinghy (oar powered)

I think that about sums up my ideal boat. I think it has just the right amount of mutually exclusive features and impracticality, combined with constrasting goals and aesthetics.

What's yours?

Thanks.

-- James

(Who is obviously spending too much time waiting for code to compile and not enough sailing. )
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2009

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
One paid for entirely by a huge lottery win

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
I would love to have a cold molded version of Stormy Weather including the original rig and hull form. The different construction technique would provide a lot more room down below. The weight savings would allow for the addition of an engine, battery banks, larger tankage, and some other heavier systems.

Too bad I won't ever own this boat since it would cost a lot of money. It seems that a few other people have had very similar dreams to me since Brooklyn Boatyard has worked on 2 "replicas".
Old 10-29-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
40-44 ft
Center Cockpit
Ketch rigged with main mast less than 54 ft (I have a bridge to deal with)
No teak
Sugarscoop stern but engineered setup for self steering without too much tubing everywhere
Small diesel...Yanmar
Engine room with room for a workshop/bench area
Hard dodger
huge solar array
stern arch with wind generator on port side and radar on the starboard side on raised platforms with davits
mast steps

New...for less than $200k
Old 10-29-2009
Aupiipii Hunter 45Passage

Aupiipii is on a distinguished road
Thes best boat is the boat you own.
Old 10-29-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
HULL:
Basically a Cheoy Lee Newell Cadet, AKA offshore 27. 27' LOD 7'10" beam, low freeboard, gobs of teak woodwork, but a GFRP hull. Insulated. Long, glassed over lead keel. Preferably outboard rudder, or keel hung. Small self draining cockpit.

RIG:
Sloop with solent stay, twin backstays, all synthetic. Bowsprit with anchor rollers and storage. ST winches. Tanbark sails. Folding mast steps, extremely comfortable bosuns chair for use as a crows nest. Lots of bronze, polished. External halyards with sealed, deck stepped mast. Extremely solid gusseted mast step. Tiller steered. Self designed wind vane made of unobtainium.

ANCHORING:
Everyday anchor: Lewmar claw, 25' chain and nylon rode.
Storm Anchor: Luke with 50' high tensile strength chain and Nylon
Kedge anchor/ lunch hook: Fortress on Spectra line.

INTERIOR:
Sleeps 2, and in a pinch will sleep 4, one on floor and one in hammock, packed in like sardines. No stinking v-berth! No "sleeps 6" ********, no space wasted on unused sleeping areas. Storage in the bow. Bulkhead door to bow section. Cedar sauna and shower amidships, diesel fired. 2 manual bilge pumps and one electric pump. More storage space. All lockers with watertight hatch openings on sides and tops. All lockers sealed watertight and compartmentalized. Preferably all wood. Gobs of teak, lemon oil and wax, no fancy varnish. Standing headroom in galley, two burner stove with oven, diesel fired, same as sauna heater (only one diesel fired device to deal with). Foot pump sink. Deep, with some stones sitting in the bottom. Lots of hooks to hang things on around the cabin. Lots of handholds.

Electronics: 12v house bank with DC outputs at various voltages for a handheld GPS, and whatever other things I want to charge, 18volt power tools, etc. VHF and EPIRB. No fancy doodads like chartplotters or knotmeters. Paper charts.

No head.
No inboard.

The ultimate dreamers solution:

9.9HP multi fuel Evinrude. (this doesn't exist, but they make multi-fuel outboards)
Runs on diesel, kerosene, JP, av-gas, gas. BURN IS BURN!
With 12v charging, hanging off the stern.

Also some solar panels, a backup outboard. Lots of tankage.

and Kerosene lamps with thermocouple voltage generators to LEDS
Old 10-29-2009
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aupiipii View Post
Thes best boat is the boat you own.
That is not quite right. The best boat is one exactly like the one you own, but paid off.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-29-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
If it isn't paid off, you don't own it.
Old 10-29-2009

thesnort is on a distinguished road

Something unpretentious and crewed by the Swedish Bikini Team.
Old 10-29-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Paloma
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.