Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009
BeaverBoatsBeer

TrevC is on a distinguished road
Cool Attention Gold Coast (Queensland) locals!

Hey everyone,

Anyone here know of good anchorages around the Gold Coast? aside from the usual ones that are marked, etc. I would love to hear from people already out there with more experience.

I've already started marking potential spots in MacENC that look like they could meet our 5' draft requirement and give at least a bit of shelter.

We can also get a temporary swing mooring at Southport Yacht club if needed, but would prefer to stay out somewhere on our own. Willing to go north, but hopefully not too far.

Anyone from the Gold Coast out there?

There sure seems to be a lot of shallow-draft vessels out there, likely for good reason.

Cheers

Trev
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Trev,
You can anchor anywhere that takes your fancy, but the wallopers supposidly wont let you stay in one place for too long (holding tank reasons). However they havent harassed anyone recently so take your pick and drop your pick.

5' is short enough to get most places - may need tide assistance. We draw 6'6" and are limited

Where are you now? We are in Hope Harbour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2009
BeaverBoatsBeer

Hey St Anna,

I think it's a 7 day "limit" for every 60 days anywhere south of Sovereign island. Not that anyone seems to enforce it. North of there you can basically stay wherever you want, as long as you want. Holding tank is a must, and the boat can't look too run down. Someone from Moreton bay marine park told me to keep things clean etc, and we won't bother you.

We'll have our boat (hopefully) in a few weeks from now. Currently staying waterfront in Biggera waters, directly across from the northern tip of Wavebreak. Looking forward to getting out there.

Know of any nice spots that are sheltered and deep enough? There's so much sand out there.

Cheers
Old 10-30-2009

We are marina bound and when we get out, it is to places not frequented by 1000'2 of jetskiers etc - so near the northern bedroom and up that way is nice. So is sailing out the seaway for half a day, or a trip around Cp. Moreton to the bay. A night sail to Yamba is not bad either.

A 5' draught - you could get up 3 different ways up to Karragarra/Macleay.

Basically, its all good when you are out of a marina and not buzzed by weekend warriors.

What is your boat, are you going to be liveaboards? Friends of ours are instigating a 'Broadwater raft-up' club. [Luckily only a few members still!]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2009
BeaverBoatsBeer

Ah yes, the PWC's (PersonalWankerCraft). You'd think driving in circles would get boring, but they seem to love it.

I drove one quite a bit when I was younger and living in Canada (it was my parents 3-seater) and I was always frustrated that it had such poor fuel efficiency/range. My favourite thing to do was just keep driving straight off shore until I could barely see land Too bad I hadn't discovered how easy and fun sailing was. You don't see many dolphins following around jetskis!

We'll be living aboard full time, yes. We're not big on Marinas (mostly due to cost). However, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice East Coast marina in Brisbane was. I'm sure hope harbour would be nice too.

We're aiming to be on the hook 90% or more of the time. I work from my laptop during the day, so the boat won't be left unattended for long stretches. I'm planning the solar/wind systems already. My wife works in Southport, and there's a jetty right there. We'll have a fast-ish outboard/inflatable for trips to work, and a hard rowing dinghy for everything else.

I still need to learn the area a lot better. I've been here nearly 6 years, but have only explored the water from out 15' racing dinghy. Not sure where to fill up for water, empty holding tanks. etc. I suppose the yacht club.

Who's organising these raft-ups? sounds fun.

The boat we're most keen on is a Kendall 32 (Westsail 32 hull, except a flush deck). We should hopefully be aboard in about 4-5 weeks from now.
Old 10-31-2009

You answered all your question mate. We are going to spend much of December and some Jan on the hook. Catch up for a sundowner. We'll organise a channel on VHF closer. DO you have HF?

Old 11-01-2009
BeaverBoatsBeer

Sounds like a good plan.
The boat we're most keen on has HF, so no callsign or anything just yet. We'll know more in month.

We can be reached via email at tcurtis {at} gmail {dot} com

Cheers
Trev & Ali
Old 11-03-2009
Tim

timjf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to timjf
Hi Trev & Ali I have dropped the "hook" at " Bum,s Bay " just opposite Sea world and north of Southport Marina good holding and sheltered ...many cruiser,s use this anchorage travelling "north / south I have a Beneteau Oceanis 390 draws 2 meters with no problems I can be reached at timjf@optusnet.com.au Cheers Tim & Sheryl
Old 11-04-2009
BeaverBoatsBeer

Ah yeah, I know the spot. Is it very busy at the moment? I've seen it pretty packed before.

We're staying at the top left, where it says 'Mike'

At least we're close to the water for when we provision the boat.

How long are you guys staying on the Goldy?

Cheers