My new boat:) I am now at Atlantic Highlands Municipal Harbor:) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
I am on the hood right now

Can someone please post the url for them charts again. I am using wifi and it is coming in and out thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2009

I am on the hood right now

I am using wifi on the hook which is in and out. Can anyone give me that url for those charts again. thanks
Old 10-30-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Dan,

Download the seaclear program SeaClear GPS Navigation Software

Then you can download charts into seaclear from Obtain Charting Products

You may then be able to interface your gps to seaclear to show your position.

It would be worth a day in Atlantic Highlands figuring out how to get this set up before you head out.

You should also check out Tidal Current Tables for water current info. The currents around Sandy Hook can be quite strong.

Good luck on your journey. I would also suggest checking out the nude beach on Sandy Hook, but I don't think there would be much to see this time of year.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Old 10-31-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Dan,
The booklet charts that John R Pollard linked to are: NOAA BookletCharts
I have a few downloaded to my laptop which is a Mac. They come up in an app called Preview which would be the equivalent of a Windows photo viewer. They also seem to be able to zoom in and out without internet connectivity but I cant be sure of that because I am on wifi.
I still think that this is your best bet barring paper or other charts.
When you have wifi access download the whole NJ coastline and open them in whatever app that works best with them. Then try accessing them without any connection and see how it goes when panning in or out, up and down etc.
Paper or MapTech charts would be much better and not require a functional battery on your computer to be able to see them. The MapTech (now bought out by whomever) chart books should be able to get you down to Atlantic City and Cape May. They used to be about $50 and listed all the marinas and points of interest to boaters. It would be worth the money if it saved your bacon.
Full moon is coming up so expect maximum tidal current velocities.
My best.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 10-31-2009 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Tides
Old 10-31-2009
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garffin View Post
There is this long pier sticking way out just west of Highlands Marine. ...They could have used deadly force they told me. !
I always wondered what happened if you sailed too close to the Earle Naval Weapons pier. Glad to hear they have a sense of humor.
Old 10-31-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Dan,

Glad to hear that you have made it to the NY/NJ border...

Quote:
Now this is where a chart could and would have saved me a potently bad experience...

PLEASE tell me that you are not trying this without printed charts, let alone a portable chartplotter as I recommended in the other thread. If you are, you are risking your vessel, and your life (read the accident report in the earlier thread). In your earlier thread I believe that you said you had charts... Attempting to complete a voyage through unfamiliar waters, and with the hazards that you are going to encounter (sunken trawler, Naval Weapons Pier, etc.) without some form of guide is IMHO irresponsible. Sailing without an up-to-date chart on any of the club boats that I used to sail was considered gross negligence.

Re: the Naval Weapons Pier; my dad was a Lieutenant in the Navy responsible for loading and offloading ammunition during WWII at this pier. He's told me stories about it many times, but I've never seen it.

I hope to hear that you have made it to NC without incident!

Fair winds!

- Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-31-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Include quotation...
Old 10-31-2009

blackbart500 is on a distinguished road
face book

I just went to my wifes face book to get in touch, her face book is marilyn richardson, i would like to see your photos thanks, Reg.
Old 10-31-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Let me second the comments about making this trip without proper charts is crazy. And you are now facing the most dangerous part of your trip for a small boat at this time of year - the long run down the NJ coast. Too many tales of much larger boats getting into trouble when the weather turned on them. I would recommend looking for a good weather window and hop down to Manasquan inlet and then proceed down inside on the ICW. Lots of places to stop and anchor if necessary. Don't try this without charts however or you will be aground repeatedly.
Old 10-31-2009

Thanks

Jim that is my plain! Take my time and wait for the weather. After all I have only been from Huntington Bay to Sandy Hook. It has taken me a week to go this far but I did spend a few days looking around NYC. I would do have some charts now and I might leave tomorrow if the weather is good which it sounds like it might be. Thanks for all the advice. I looked at Cape May charts and man that place really looks like it could get nasty. Really shallow along the northern edge with all sorts of shoals. I might just go along the inside from Manasquan. Itís just a lot of motoring. I will get Tow US. 150 bucks sounds cheap to pull you off the sand. Which might happen. My mast is around 34í from the water and I draw about 3.8í so I am thinking I should be good to go there just have to look at the tide for Manasquan to make sure that I time it right. I donít want my little 9.9 to work too hard.  I did get a new Racor fuel filter put on. They charged me almost 30 bucks for it from Napa here in town. I went over the boat pretty good yesterday and she looks like she just might make that little 40 mile trip again if the weather is right. The other day when I went through the Narrows coming out of the upper Bay into the Lower Bay and got to see the Atlantic for the first time made me feel good. I love that feeling of the ocean swells under the hull. I was thinking that it was about 2-3í swells that day.
Looking at the charts from Sandy hook to Manasquan looks like I can just stay right off shore. Nothing in the way for 40 miles. I was thinking I would have to stay about 1 mile off but now I know that I can be abit closer. Oh one more thing I am going to fill up the bow water tank all the way just for the weight and have been thinking about a sea anchor for the future. I know that sea anchors are a bit of a controversy so for now happy sailing and pray that all goes well. Thanks again. I really do appreciate the comments. Thanks again Dan
Old 10-31-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
you only bought ONE fuel filter?

You should have at least 2 spares for the trip you are planning. Since that is a gas motor, be VERY cautious about taking on fuel that has ethanol. It can 'phase separate' and cause problems. Try to avoid ethanol gas.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.