My new boat:) I am now at Atlantic Highlands Municipal Harbor:) - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
There is a very complicated stretch of NJICW just south of Manasquan Inlet.
Point Pleasant canal can have very strong current and there are two bridges. I wouldn't like to be there with problematic engine..

Also make sure that all bridges are operational this time of the year. last year I motored ICW all way to Manasquan to learn that route 35 bridge closed for winter repairs and I had to turn around and go back to Barnegat inlet, two days were waisted.

Garffin, what time are you planning to leave Sandy Hook tomorrow? I'm thinking to go sailing on my boat, and I may provide you with a company for a few hours...

Last edited by CrazyRu; 10-31-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garffin View Post
Looking at the charts from Sandy hook to Manasquan looks like I can just stay right off shore. Nothing in the way for 40 miles. I was thinking I would have to stay about 1 mile off but now I know that I can be abit closer.
Dan,

You would be better off 5-10 miles off shore. I know it's comforting to see land, but it would also be your enemy if something went wrong. I'd hate to read a newspaper report with a pic of your boat washed up ashore.

It sounds like your boat is a tough little thing, and a little sea room would give you and the boat some time and space if the engine died or the weather turned bad. 5-10 miles off the Jersey shore your vhf should be able to call for help if you need it too. You do have a decent vhf, right?

You wouldn't go wrong if you charted a course from sea bouy to sea bouy. They are there for a reason and spotting them would give you some comfort that you weren't off course.

I'd wait for a ebb tide to push you out around sandy hook. I'd also wait for a weather window when there was no mention of 20 knot gusts, especially this time of year. But that's just me. I'm a bit of a p*ssy.

I'd also go in at Manasquan and pay for a marina. I don't think you can anchor there. From there you can hop down to Barnegat outside. I've never done the inside, but heard the bridges and canal can be a pain. With your draft you can also go into shark harbor. You should check the currents Tidal Current Tables at all these inlets and try to enter them around slack tide. Either a strong following or opposing current can make entering a jersey inlet an adventure.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

Last edited by NautiG; 10-31-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I've gotta admit that I'm really staying tuned to this thread. I want to go up/down the NJ coast someday. But that means navigating Delaware Bay to cape may or the canal of course.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I kept a boat (Oday 22) at Bay Head at the very north end of Barnegat Bay for a number of year in the 1970s. I made the trip south to Barnegat Inlet many times. Yes the lift bridges are a bit of pain and you have to watch the chart to avoid shoals, but this is actually pretty good sailing ground. Jumping in and out of the inlets as you head south outside sounds good, but those inlets can be nasty, especially in a small boat with an outboard. No way I would try going outside in a boat that size this time of year, especially single handing.
Old 11-01-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I kept a boat (Oday 22) at Bay Head at the very north end of Barnegat Bay... No way I would try going outside in a boat that size this time of year, especially single handing.
That's what I was trying to say. Thanks for posting some local knowledge Jim.
Old 11-01-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I used to keep our boat in Toms River and sail Barnegat Bay. The trip from Manesquan down through the canal is not that bad except as was said with the current when waiting for the bridges. The trip to barnegat Inlet is not bad. After here is is very shallow, narrow and tricky.

This summer we ducked in Barnegat Inlet after the wind piped up from the NE at 25 and the seas became 4-6 ft. on our trip south from Manesquan to talantic City. We came in Barnegat, which you need locak knowledge to use as it is very trecherous and went down the ICW to Atlantic City. It sucked ans we ran souftly aground over 8 times.

The way to go is outside with care to make the runs to the proper inlets

Please take this the right wasy. WhileI admire that you are taking this trip by yourself with your 24 Bristol, I am astonished about your cavelier attitude concerning charts, straying into a clearly marked on a chart "no trespass area, and your lack of preparation concerning safety. This trip is no nonsence and should not be taken lightly. Commments like staying on .5 miles off shore shows a lack of understanding of how easily you could be driven onto surf ofthe shore if there was a failure of you equipment. These are just two comments I have about your inexperience or lack of planning which could turn situations tragic.

While I admire your daring I hope this thread of your trip does not turn into a tragic situation as I beleive a few of us who read this have been thinking as we read your posts. This suicide mission could be made much safer with a little forethought I beleive. You are taking your life in your hands here and risking others, if they have to rescue you.

I wish you the best, fair weather and winds and a safe completetion to your escapade.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner