SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Pirates NE of Seychelles (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/59389-pirates-ne-seychelles.html)

lenseman 10-30-2009 12:32 PM

Pirates NE of Seychelles

Due to the presence of Warships countering the Somali pirate menace, the attacks are now happening further east and are putting the Seychelles definitely in the danger zone.

The latest attack was to the north east between the Seychelles and the Indian sub continent:

Traffic received from the National Intelligence Agency at 1630Z 30 OCT 2009 [208]

WESTERN INDIAN OCEAN. PIRACY.
A FISHING VESSEL WAS REPORTEDLY HIJACKED IN 01 55S 055 53E,
APPROXIMATELY 183 MILES NORTHEAST OF SEYCHELLES AT
290247Z OCT. SEVEN ARMED MEN BOARDED THE VESSEL AND
HAVE BEGUN TO DIRECT IT TOWARDS THE SOMALI COASTLINE.
THE VESSEL WAS LAST LOCATED IN 01 33S 055 17E AT
290936Z OCT. IN THE PAST THREE WEEKS, TWO FISHING VESSELS
HAVE BEEN HIJACKED BRINGING THE CURRENT TOTAL OF CURRENTLY
HIJACKED FISHING VESSELS TO THREE. FISHING VESSELS ARE
OFTEN USED BY PIRATES AS MOTHER SHIPS TO EXTEND THE
OPERATING AREA FOR PIRATES AND ALL VESSELS ARE ALWAYS
ADVISED TO STEER CLEAR OF KNOWN POSITIONS OF THESE
CURRENTLY HIJACKED VESSELS.

paulk 11-01-2009 07:24 AM

Making the pirates go further afield gives the naval vessels more time & opportunity to catch them. At some point, the pirates will realize they've come to a point of diminishing returns. Improving the scene in their homeland would make piracy less attractive, but that's not easy either.

StoneAge 11-27-2009 12:59 PM

I certainly do not agree that the pirates in Somalia ought to be doing what they are doing, but the circumstances that caused this aren't discussed very often. The commercial ships coming out of Suez are creating a dead zone in Somali Fishing territory and the Somali fisheries are all but dead. This was their major livelihood and the major shipping companies have completely disrespected Somali territory.

These people are desperate and need to feed their families. They see the attacks on the ships as a sort of revenge for destroying their way of life. I certainly feel for them. I don't condone what they do, but I understand why they do it.

Does anyone know if they are attacking private boats as well. We only get news of commercial vessels being boarded.

johnshasteen 12-07-2009 03:52 PM

Private vessels need not be of concern, so long as they have a deterrent system similiar to this small, but well-equipt Hobie cat:
On the Wire - Humor

tager 12-07-2009 04:37 PM

I thought a flamethrower would be pretty effective. Gasoline, air pressure, some tubing, a piezoelectric stove lighter, and a button on the end of a wire.
Just wait in the cabin as the pirates zoom up in their speedboat.

CLICK! WHOOOSH!

That or you sail in a yacht less than 20', and they leave you alone.

marujosortudo 12-07-2009 04:45 PM

Yes, they are attacking private yachts AND asking ludicrous ransoms:

Rival 38 'Lynn Rival' EPIRB Activated - No Information - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

tager 12-07-2009 04:49 PM

I suppose structural violence does beget physical violence then!

mightyhorton 12-07-2009 08:44 PM

Oh, come on Stone Age. They are being pirates to make money. Maybe the fisheries have been impacted, etc., but the pirates don't give a crap. They just want the million bucks per victim, or whatever they can get.

Superpickle 12-12-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyhorton (Post 548799)
Oh, come on Stone Age. They are being pirates to make money. Maybe the fisheries have been impacted, etc., but the pirates don't give a crap. They just want the million bucks per victim, or whatever they can get.

Oh no, its NOT their Faults..

They were Weaned to early..

They had BAD Childhoods...

The poor things didnt get a proper portion of Coco Crispies growing up..

DEATH, would be an Improvment for them...

Their "Happy Hunting Grounds" Beckons... :D

XTR 12-22-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpickle (Post 550252)
Oh no, its NOT their Faults..

DEATH, would be an Improvment for them...

Now we are getting somewhere. :hothead That and install a few gibbets along the coast.