Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
"I Hate My Boat"

Ya know, I've talked with allot of boat owners over the past couple of years... I often start the conversation with "I love your boat, Or Nice Boat!" really nice boats I'll say; Permission to come aboard?"
Now this is kind of sad when I hear the owner say; "Thanks, but I hate it" I've heard this response more then a few times which seems to indicate that it's a pretty common feeling! I don't press the owners for reasons and try to respect their privacy although sometimes I'll suggest "You can make it into a boat you love, don't you think?" Then I hear; "Eh I'm gonna sell it"

No, I don't hate my boat even though I know it's far from mental image of the boat I would love to have. So, fess up! Do you hate your boat?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Actually, I hate Painkiller's boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-31-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I only hate my boat on the hard.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-31-2009
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
I love fixing stuff on my boat, and there's a pretty long list of "things to fix"...Therefore, I love my boat!
Old 10-31-2009

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
No, I don't hate my boat. This is my dream boat and never thought that I'd be in a position to own something like it. But. I'm particular with it. When we bought it, there was a long list of stuff that needed repair or upgrade. Nothing was massive except for the rotted bulkhead but there was a lot.

My problem was that I wanted everything fixed NOW and became a bit depressed during the first and second years. I think that this is where many owners get frustrated. They either don't have the knowledge or funds to make the boat right so they end up hating it. Or they have wildly unrealistic expectations like we sometimes see on Sailnet ("I only have funds for a junk 22' footer and want to live aboard and circumnavigate...and I've never sailed").

I'm happy to say that this is our 4th year and I can actually sit on the boat and enjoy it with nothing significant on my list. Lots of insignificant stuff though

Links to Victoria:
VICTORIA (and her mistress)
S/V Victoria Head Reconstruction
Old 10-31-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
("I only have funds for a junk 22' footer and want to live aboard and circumnavigate...and I've never sailed").
Oh so thats where I went wrong...

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-31-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Actually, I hate Painkiller's boat.
He and I have the same boat...grrrrrrrr
Old 10-31-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Maybe it's not the boat itself, but the fact that Pain owns it?... ...lol.. ...i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 10-31-2009

RichP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Ya know, I've talked with allot of boat owners over the past couple of years... I often start the conversation with "I love your boat, Or Nice Boat!" really nice boats I'll say; Permission to come aboard?"
Now this is kind of sad when I hear the owner say; "Thanks, but I hate it" I've heard this response more then a few times which seems to indicate that it's a pretty common feeling! I don't press the owners for reasons and try to respect their privacy although sometimes I'll suggest "You can make it into a boat you love, don't you think?" Then I hear; "Eh I'm gonna sell it"

No, I don't hate my boat even though I know it's far from mental image of the boat I would love to have. So, fess up! Do you hate your boat?
Well, you can modify and restore your boat, tune the rig, get new sails. But ultimately if it doesn't sail right there's not alot you can do about the hull and keel shape.

Old 10-31-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I only hate the things that are broken.

Most days I love her.

This week I am replacing 2 engines, and the relationship is strained.

Two weeks ago I put in a nice propane fireplace, the the relationship was wonderful (easy install).

The summer was mostly great... except when the furler bearings went far from home. They were easy of fix, so we made up.

We have an up-and-down relationship.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber