SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Going to Sea

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Faster 
#1 ·
Tomorrow morning Billy Ruff'n with her able crew of five heads out of Norfolk, Va for sea. Next stop -- Tortola!

The boat's in great shape, the crew is strong and the weather forecast is OK for the first 72 hrs. What more can you ask for? Wish us luck!!

We have a transponder on board and our progress can be tracked on the Carib1500 website (Cruising Rally Association | Offshore sailing - Adventure, Camaraderie, Competition) by clicking on the "Event Tracker" link.

I'll try to check in again once we're south and within internet range.

#4 ·
Bon voyage! Hope you have a great trip.. BillyRuff'n is a beauty and the right boat for the task ahead! Come on, tropical heat!!

#6 ·
Fair winds Billy. She's a great ship. I'll be tracking you on the site.

Regards,
Brad

#7 ·
Lucky dog!

Blessings..and have a great trip

#15 ·
My appologies for not getting back sooner with a passage report.... I'm back in the cold for Christmas and headed south again in a few days. Internet access in the islands is not good or cheap, so I've not been 'on line' much.

In short, we had a very fast trip south -- 1400++ miles in a few hours under 8 days. Most of it on one tack. Crew and boat were magnificient. The only thing we broke was the preventer on an accidental jibe -- when the dumbsh** on the helm (could it have been the skipper??) was spending his time coaching the crew when he should have been looking at the compass (or at least attentive to to how the wind was hitting the back of his neck).
It was a great sail with 20+ on the port quarter the whole trip. Caught a 15# yellowfin tuna the fourth day out which provided a really good main course one night and two platters of extraordinary sashami the next night. The day before we arrived I told the crew we needed a fresh fish for our arrival dinner. Four hours later we had a 40" mahi under the fileting knife.

I've spent most of the time to date in the USVI. Weather is very nice -- always 80 something (water and air). The national park on St John is probably the finest example of taxpayers dollars at work I've seen anywhere. It truly is "America's Paradise".

Next week we'll kiss the grandkids goodbye and head back to the boat. We plan to head south over the winter ending up in Trinidad for the hurricane season. May not be able to post much in the interim, but I wish you all a happy holiday and fair winds. (I find that "following seas" are overrated).

#17 ·
My appologies for not getting back sooner with a passage report.... I'm back in the cold for Christmas and headed south again in a few days. Internet access in the islands is not good or cheap, so I've not been 'on line' much.

In short, we had a very fast trip south -- 1400++ miles in a few hours under 8 days. Most of it on one tack. Crew and boat were magnificient. The only thing we broke was the preventer on an accidental jibe -- when the dumbsh** on the helm (could it have been the skipper??) was spending his time coaching the crew when he should have been looking at the compass (or at least attentive to to how the wind was hitting the back of his neck).
It was a great sail with 20+ on the port quarter the whole trip. Caught a 15# yellowfin tuna the fourth day out which provided a really good main course one night and two platters of extraordinary sashami the next night. The day before we arrived I told the crew we needed a fresh fish for our arrival dinner. Four hours later we had a 40" mahi under the fileting knife.

I've spent most of the time to date in the USVI. Weather is very nice -- always 80 something (water and air). The national park on St John is probably the finest example of taxpayers dollars at work I've seen anywhere. It truly is "America's Paradise".

Next week we'll kiss the grandkids goodbye and head back to the boat. We plan to head south over the winter ending up in Trinidad for the hurricane season. May not be able to post much in the interim, but I wish you all a happy holiday and fair winds. (I find that "following seas" are overrated).
billyr,

Great to hear from you! Sounds like you had a spectacular voyage. Sorry about the preventer -- hopefully you flogged the knucklehead.;) :D

Have a great holiday and we'll look forward to your dispatches as and when you're able. Safe sailing. - JRP

#20 ·
Great to hear from you again.... now, what place is that again?;) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.