Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingbud View Post
My boat is a Nantucket Clipper moving from Maine to Arkansas. I'm not in a big hurry to move her so I can take my time. In fact she is set there inside her barn till the thaw next spring so I have some time. This boat is a shallow keel boat with a 4.2' draft and I can use a low bed trailer with F-350 rated for the load. I have hauled much heavier loads. 10 cows weigh as much as this boat and they have a habit of moving around in the trailer. I don't know of any states requiring a bond, I think Mo has an insurance form to put on file. I called a permit service who bid out the permits at $600 but when I started calling DMVs I found the fees much less.
Some folks ship their boats south during the winter for races,etc, than have them retrieved in spring. If you can find a trucker that's heading south in spring to retrieve a boat, you might just get a good deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2009

sailingbud is on a distinguished road
Snow bird sailboats. I have never thought about that. That is a good point and one I will explore. I bought this boat as a project and understood the first obstical would be the move. I am also attracted to the idea of having my own transport system in case I find a boat I want to canibalize equipment from in the future as well as moving my finished project her last 100 miles of terra firma to splash and start new adventures.
I do appreciate all comments on this thread. Excessive advice will do no harm. Thanks to all.
Old 11-05-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
If you will eventually be on the River, it would be quite an adventure sailing her there.

Rik
Old 11-05-2009

starboardyacht is on a distinguished road
if your under 13' you can go almost anywhere heightwise, pulled my 36' 10k pound boat to key west 5 times with a dodge 2500 (horse farm truck), gooseneck is best, with no problem... a well built cradle, wood or metal, chained to a flat bed works fine, just make sure you put the keel or most of the weight just in front of the trailer axels... i liked traveling late at nite with no traffic, stopping for sleep during rush hours... just go sloooooooow... it is an adventure and not for the fainthearted... how can you bear waiting that long to get started, very kewl boat.....
Old 11-05-2009

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Try uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Vehicles or Moves

It worked well for us saving us money and hassle.

I'd suggest not going with the cheapest, go with the best. I wasn't sure if it was better to pay the extra bucks for a more experienced shipper until our boat was being off loaded.

That was when I talked to another guy who had just had his boat delivered from the same area. We compared prices and he saved almost $2G compared to my costs. He was thrilled.

Now that might have been an impressive bit of negotiation on his part if he hadn't been working on his mast at the time. The shipper had driven thousands of miles with a ratchet rubbing the mast. The owner was trying to 'fix' the mast track but it was so badly damaged that it needed a new section to be spliced in. Looking at the other damage to the mast I'd consider a replacement.

Now if it was just the mast maybe it wouldn't have been so bad but there was also the damage to the hull, not just marks (which we got as well but buff out) but actual damage from having the straps and supports rub up against the hull.

He seemed quite happy at the deal he got even though it turned out that the insurance the shipper had was not for damage to his boat and the owner was on the hook for all damage.

I would have been horrified if that had happened to my boat so was very happy to have paid more and saved thousands in repair and hassle.

There is real savings to be had by being very flexible on shipping date and time. You will likley have to pay more if you want it shipped soon and quickly.
Old 11-05-2009

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
edit: BTW we had a trailer for our last boat which weighed only a little less.

We would have bought a new trailer and shipped it ourselves but we no longer had a truck that could pull it and had no where to store the boat trailer for free (that was also out of the elements and free).

If we had a truck that could tow 25,000lbs we would have bought another trailer. Saves on moves and helps sell the boat when the time comes.
Old 11-05-2009

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I've ben researching this myself lately. Try this guy: BOAT TRANSPORTATION and BOAT HAULING - T.J. WAGNER TRUCKING- Boat Transportation and Boat Hauling Boat Trailer Boat Launching based in Florida-Mass
Old 11-05-2009

sailingbud is on a distinguished road
StarboardYacht,
I'm glad to hear that somebody else has taken this route. By the way, I can't wait, I'll be driving there Thanksgiving to bring home template parts I need to fab as well as the engine and this winter I'll be sewing sails. She can stay in the barn till I get everything else lined out like a cradle. I don't think she will be as top heavy as many but I won't take any chances. I am waiting on bids but with what they seem to be, I could own my own rig to move anytime I please. I call that freedom. If you had paid a hauler 5 times to the Keys, that would buy a decent boat. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-05-2009

good points Arch... however, never think any shipper will take as much care of your boat as you will.... save money & hassels decommission the boat and make it road ready yourself... i use lots of old rags and duct tape, & zip ties to pad everything... also romove everything you can from the mast... i.e. spreaders, halyards, blocks and if the mast step is facing forward,(almost always) cover it so road stuff will not find its way inside... i usually haul out in the a.m. drop the mast and start making ready, this will take most of the day to do it correctly.... wish i could get up to maine to help out, i dig that kinda stuff.......
Old 11-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingbud View Post
StarboardYacht,
I'm glad to hear that somebody else has taken this route. By the way, I can't wait, I'll be driving there Thanksgiving to bring home template parts I need to fab as well as the engine and this winter I'll be sewing sails. She can stay in the barn till I get everything else lined out like a cradle. I don't think she will be as top heavy as many but I won't take any chances. I am waiting on bids but with what they seem to be, I could own my own rig to move anytime I please. I call that freedom. If you had paid a hauler 5 times to the Keys, that would buy a decent boat. Thanks for your input.
Having a trailer for your boat will pay for itself with: hauling, repairing, storage, and its great to look out back and see it every morning keeps you motivated to git r done.... saw a guy with a homemade trailer, mounted storebought jackstands, back up to his boat unbolt the back crossmember, back up under the boat, reattach the crossmembers and use the jackstands to lift the boat, i think it was a catalina 27.... a razerback should be able to make something work....