Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009

sailingbud is on a distinguished road
Moving a 32' sailboat 1900 miles myself

I'm looking for advice for an affordable way to move a 32' LOA, 9' beam, 8300lb disp boat 1900 miles. The bid with hydraulic trailer was $7K.
I am an old farmer/sailor and can easily move 10,000 lbs of hay so why not a boat?
My idea is to build a cradle that will lock (strap) to the boat, use frames with rollers under the cradle then winch the entire load on an equipment trailer rated for >15000 load. I strap the whole load down and get on the road. I've called around and permits may be as much as $500 or less if I get them all myself state by state. As far as I can figure my expenses should be less than $2K.
Somebody please point out my mistaken thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2009
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
After you have the cradle built I think it would be better to just hire a crane to lift it. My neighbor got one to his 29' boat, on to the crane company's trailer and hauled a few miles and unloaded for $400.00. You can probably hire a crane at either end for a couple hundred bucks each time and save yourself a world of hassle.
Old 11-05-2009

The trick is to get it out of the barn where it is on stands. No crane and if I'm dragging it out I figure why not just raise it to the level of my trailer then move it forward.
Old 11-05-2009
Itz That Eazy!!!

L02314564 is on a distinguished road
Some states require a bond to be posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingbud View Post
I'm looking for advice for an affordable way to move a 32' LOA, 9' beam, 8300lb disp boat 1900 miles. The bid with hydraulic trailer was $7K.
Where is the boat starting from and going to? When I moved mine from TX to LA I had to post a $10,000 bond because of the 9' beam of my boat.
1976 Catalina 27 #2684
Old 11-05-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough

This boat is over 11' on less than 11" of blocks you could save a bunch if you start taking off pulpits and hang the mast on the side

The rub rail is 8' to give you some scale

Your gonna have to think about height issues if you put it on a cradle without having a lowboy trailer as standard trailers are about 24"

On are local hyd boat moving truck the keel is only 8" off the highway and a 4'5" draft boat is still close to anything that may not be hanging a legal height

You will need permits for each state and what are you planing on using for a trailer as the DOT will take notice of you as the boat and trailer will be in the 12000# +++ range which will require and F350 truck at the very least

You will also save a bunch of money jsut looking for a used JOWI steel cradle as it will ROCK SOLID and fit the boat correctly

And my 29' is 8000# ++

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 11-05-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
[quote=sailingbud;538797]I'm looking for advice for an affordable way to move a 32' LOA, 9' beam, 8300lb disp boat 1900 miles. The bid with hydraulic trailer was $7K.
I am an old farmer/sailor and can easily move 10,000 lbs of hay so why not a boat?/quote]
Just out of curiosity, what make boat is she - 8300lbs seems light for a 32' boat???
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 11-05-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
I have toyed with the same question for a 30' boat. The issue that I see is the gross combined weight of your setup once everything is together. A lot of flatbed trailers weigh 5000+ lbs and by the time you add the boat and cradle you will be pushing the weight rating of the truck/trailer/or combo. There was another thread on here about how a boat's rated displacement relates to its actual displacement even dry.

All of the other challenges can be dealt with unless your boat has a very tall cabin structure or a very deep keel. Getting a cradle on and off a trailer isn't that bad as long as it is very sturdy.

I assume you are insured for this sort of thing?
Old 11-05-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingbud View Post
I'm looking for advice for an affordable way to move a 32' LOA, 9' beam, 8300lb disp boat 1900 miles. The bid with hydraulic trailer was $7K....As far as I can figure my expenses should be less than $2K.
Somebody please point out my mistaken thinking.
SailingBud,

My suggestion would be to first check around and get some other bids. $7K seems REALLY steep. If you are not in a huge hurry and can wait for a hauler that would be going your direction with an otherwise empty tuck, you can often get the price down a fair bit. You might be able to cut that estimate in half, and remember the hauler will then take care of all the permitting.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-05-2009
SailGunner

cesarid is on a distinguished road
Even with a cradle the keel usually takes the load and rests on the ground. I guess you could build a cradle with a keel rest but I still don't like the idea of trying to move a boat on a cradle - I think you are asking for trouble. I concur that you should seek other bids and bite the bullet and hire it done. We pull boats all the time with a trailer and I always tell myself to be careful - these boats are top heavy and heavy and it is easy to get seriously injured.
Old 11-05-2009

Movin my boat

My boat is a Nantucket Clipper moving from Maine to Arkansas. I'm not in a big hurry to move her so I can take my time. In fact she is set there inside her barn till the thaw next spring so I have some time. This boat is a shallow keel boat with a 4.2' draft and I can use a low bed trailer with F-350 rated for the load. I have hauled much heavier loads. 10 cows weigh as much as this boat and they have a habit of moving around in the trailer. I don't know of any states requiring a bond, I think Mo has an insurance form to put on file. I called a permit service who bid out the permits at $600 but when I started calling DMVs I found the fees much less.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.