Question about Selling - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-05-2009 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Question about Selling

We are selling our boat and have some questions about the deal.
I have a potential buyer interested in the boat who would like to give a deposit on the boat now and Perform the Survey now and Sea Trial in the Spring. Than finish the Sale in the spring.

I would like purpose the following.

1) Complete Survey now with Sea Trial. (we are in Southern Connecticut)
2) I would like a 15% deposit on the boat that would hold it
until April 1st at which time ownership would transfer with the additional
balance due.
3) I would still continue to list / market the boat and give the potential buyer the right of First refusal if someone else wanted to purchase the boat now.

Is this unreasonable ? Would this be a deal breaker for you ?
I do not want to assume the risk that the buyer changes there mind in the spring and I have held the boat all this time,

1999 Catalina C320
JoeAbb is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 11-05-2009
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Aboard
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
It seems you agree on survey now, and probably the deposit, however you should firm up what happens to the deposit should the buyer walk because of some precondition on the sea trial.
I don't believe it's out of line to either make the sea trial happen now, or to continue marketing your boat. I don't think you can ask for both. Either it's a done deal or it's not a done deal, and having the sea trial hanging doesn't quite make it a done deal. But the whole thing is really a matter of what you can negotiate with the buyer. None of its a deal breaker with me, but I'm not the guy buying your boat.
Faith of Holland is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 17 Old 11-05-2009
Senior Member
 
tommays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,295
Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
If the sea trial can be done NOW what would keep the deal from being compleated ? NOW

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY


If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tommays is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 17 Old 11-05-2009 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
If the sea trial can be done NOW what would keep the deal from being compleated ? NOW
Buyer is in Canada and wants to wait until Spring. I am OK with
keeping the boat until spring, but if the final deal is not done until spring even with a deposit the boat to me is still available. I would return the deposit if I found another buyer.
JoeAbb is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 17 Old 11-05-2009
Emerging Sailor
 
erikdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Berkeley Marina, San Francisco, CA
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
I agree with the comments from the other folks. If you're going to allow the purchase to be delayed, then let the buyer delay the survey and sea trial, ask for the 15% deposit and right of first refusal if you receive another written offer. The terms of forfeiture of the deposit should be clearly spelled out with a specific date to complete the survey, sea trial and purchase.

Seems like a win for all concerned with those terms.
erikdj is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 17 Old 11-05-2009
Senior Member
 
tommays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,295
Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Its sounds like a lot of deals this time of year on who eats the winter storage costs

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY


If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tommays is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 17 Old 11-05-2009
SailGunner
 
cesarid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
First I think a 15% deposit is a little high. But why would the buyer put anything down if you are still going to market the boat? It should be either a deal or no deal and the buyer takes his chances by waiting. I would try to close the deal now, the buyer owns the boat, and you would just store the boat for free until spring.
cesarid is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 17 Old 11-05-2009
Senior Member
 
MikeinLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 516
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarid View Post
close the deal now, the buyer owns the boat, and you would just store the boat for free until spring.
Bingo! My thoughts exactly.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 17 Old 11-05-2009 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarid View Post
close the deal now, the buyer owns the boat, and you would just store the boat for free until spring.
I think that is the route I will take ..... Thanks everyone
JoeAbb is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of 17 Old 11-05-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,006
Thanks: 5
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 11
     
If the buyer really wants to wait you could sell him/her an option to buy. That way you pocket a little cashola whether they buy or not, and all you have to do in return is take the boat off the market for a few months.

What are you pretending not to know ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wind_magic is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question about selling a boat jbarros Boat Review and Purchase Forum 2 12-19-2002 05:05 PM
Selling a Boat Jon Shattuck Buying a Boat Articles 0 01-14-2002 07:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome