Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009

yboboat is on a distinguished road
New Hatches for Morgan 43

Hi Guys,

This is my first post , though I've been lurking for a while and have gained lots of help and insight. My situation is that I've bought a 1986 Morgan 43 that has Bomar hatches that are gone. I have found a good source for Lewmar Ocean hatches which match up pretty well but 2 of the hatchs work but not on the north- south orientation, they fit east-west. The larger ones, forward cabin and aft cabin will be in the normal oreintation, north-south. I realize it won't catch as much air as the "normal" mounting. What do you guys think about changing the "scoop effect"? Benefits vs downsides. Looking forward to + vs -. Thanks to all.

Lonnie Anderson
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
With your larger hatches doing the "scoop" work I don't think that having the others on a different axis will be a big problem - unless you don't like that look.

There's been a debate earlier here on the "open forward/open aft" issue, and many thought that the ventilation aspect worked well in either orientation.

I have seen factory boats with small hatches opening 'sideways' so to speak, I think it will be fine.

Expensive little items, aren't they? We recently changed a couple of hatches and went with Bomar, just couldn't buck up for the Lewmars. (but would have done had we plans for extensive open water sailing)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-06-2009

Hello Faster,

Thanks for the advice. Adapting the available sizes to my configuration is problematic. I want to do it right, the first and only time. It's a great boat but it needs all the ventilation it can provide, especially down here in sunny Florida. I sometimes wonder how the pioneers did it!

Lonnie
Old 03-28-2010

smartmove is on a distinguished road
Morgan 43 Hatches

I am thinking of buying a Morgan 43 but all its hatches need replacing. Do you recommend any upgrading to different types and what kind of budget would I need.
Old 03-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Really depends on what size hatches you need and what brand/make/model you decide to buy, and who you decide to buy them from. You can do the research via google pretty easily if you know the hatch sizes...

If you don't know the hatch sizes, go down to the boat with a pencil, notepad and a tape measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartmove View Post
I am thinking of buying a Morgan 43 but all its hatches need replacing. Do you recommend any upgrading to different types and what kind of budget would I need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-29-2010

I replaced my Bomar hatches with Lewmar offshore. The 2 hatches over the saloon, which aren't square, I mounted so they opened towards the centerline, not fore and aft. They don't really "scoop" the air but they provide the necessary ventalation. I can offer some tips on removing the old ones as well. The available sizes match up pretty well, but not perfectly. Best of all, they don't leak! I'm also replacing the old plastic portlights with stainless. Send me a PM and maybe I can be of further help.

Lonnie
Old 09-24-2013

kapua35 is on a distinguished road
Re: New Hatches for Morgan 43

I can't send a PM to YBOBOAT because I haven't posted enough. I've got a 1985 Morgan 43 and I'm looking to replace the portlights. Did you replace yours and if so, with what, where did you get them, were they expensive.

Thanks,
Norm
Old 09-24-2013

kapua35 is on a distinguished road
Re: New Hatches for Morgan 43

Just updated my profile.

Also interested in sail handling:
Stack pack or such
Mainsail battens (full/partial)
Gennaker or spinnaker flying
etc...