Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Getting past who has the wrong or right 'tude for the moment, has anyone suggested towing a dinghy with a small outboard? It's fun for exploring ports and shallow places once you're anchored, and you could hip it up to you in calm weather and just steer from your tiller, especially in those narrow marina streets and alleys where power can be handy.

I've done this on occasion, though not as a steady diet. Worked pretty well. And you could always use it on a transom bracket, though the long shaft for that might make you kinda deep on the dinghy.

I'm staying away from the lee shore in snotty weather discussion. A hipped-up dinghy isn't for that obviously. But for the everyday stuff it could be.
Another possibility would be to have some kind of power available, inboard or outboard, but never use it unless you, or somebody else, are in danger of assuming room temperature, That way you could pretend you are pure but with a way out to stay alive.

Dabnis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
"Regarding your lee shore question, what would you do in that situation? I'd prolly try all my hooks until one grabbed, or maybe I'd claw off, I dunno.. I'd have to have more info on the variables of the scenario to give you a better answer.["/QUOTE]

Chris,

I am not familiar with the waters you sail in. If losing power or not having any to begin within the SF Bay or outside ocean areas it could be challenging.
In the ocean waters outside the Bay much of it is deep right up to the shore line with a rocky bottom, very hard to get an anchor to hold. Also, high ridges tend to blanket the wind close to the shore line. Inside the Bay after you get past the entrance, about a mile or so in, it is not too deep with a mud bottom allowing one to anchor if necessary, but not in the ship channels. I suppose a lot depends on the area you sail in? As mentioned earlier, Commercial traffic is a big threat if you are dead in the water. The Duck boat back east that had engine trouble, anchored and was then promptly run down by a barge comes to mind.

Dabnis

Dabnis
I guess it is called "DUKK" boat? Here is a link to the story:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seaman...-phila-pa.html

Dabnis
Old 08-18-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
LOL, how did I miss this beauty of a thread?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 08-18-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I would love to see the no-engine zelots use one of those sculling oars or sweeps on my boat. The last time in history they were used on a 45,000 lb boat, the rowers wrists were chained to them.
MillyWilliams likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-18-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
LOL, how did I miss this beauty of a thread?

I put many an hour behind a scull oar in my scull boat hunting ducks. I think one would need a really long oar and a lot of muscle power to effectively move a larger sailboat? Sounds good but not sure how practical it would be?

Dabnis
Old 08-18-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I would love to see the no-engine zelots use one of those sculling oars or sweeps on my boat. The last time in history they were used on a 45,000 lb boat, the rowers wrists were chained to them.
That sounds very unsafe! I would recommend you downsize to a safer boat that you could manage if/when your engine fails...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 08-18-2011

glassdad is on a distinguished road
Chrisncate, if push came to shove, I probably could have sailied out of the storm. But in a rental boat of unknown maintanence history, it would not have been smart. I beleive an engine is a vital piece of gear and would not leave the dock if it was not working.

Sailing for me and my family is a fun sport. I don't want it to turn into a life or death situation if I can avoid it.
Old 08-19-2011
Banned

All of this has been an interesting read but probably didn't change anybody's mind about anything. Chris, let us know how it works out to be engineless.

Dabnis
Old 08-19-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
I wonder why there isn't a great "Rudderless Sailing" debate? I mean, if we're truly purists, purist, then they probably started without one.
Old 08-19-2011

OtterGreen is on a distinguished road
would and insurance company see this as an unnecesarry risk if something were to happen and you were completely without engine? sorry if thats been covered before

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.