Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009

Punter is on a distinguished road
looking for shipwright training advice

Good day,

I'm a 20 something and im looking to start a career as a shipwright. I live in Vancouver BC and need some advice on which way I should proceed.

My ultimate goal is learn everything: boat building from 12' - 100 feet, sail making, inboard outboard mechanics, electronics, plumbing, refrigeration...

What I would like to know is wood boat building a fundamental when it comes to all boat building? Do you need to know how to understand wood boat building before you can help construct fiberglass boats?

I have found 2 schools that teach wooden boat building. SBSS on Gabriola island BC and the Northwest school of wooden boat building in Port Hadlock WA.

What are peoples impressions (if any) of these particular institutes?
Can anyone point out any other schools in the pacific northwest/cali?
What are the most reputable shipwright schools in the world?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your reply...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
Understanding wooden boat building is essential to becoming a shipwright since fiberglass boatbuilders are not shipwrights. As far as schools are concerned, they have produced more graduates than there are professional shipwrights here in the States. If you really want to learn the trade, I would suggest becoming a volunteer with an organization involved in the restoration of an old wooden boat or starting at the bottom with boatshop that specializes in wooden boat construction. The last wooden boat I built had 6-8 shipwrights and 3-4 times as many apprentices. [volunteers and paid] Several of the volunteers ended up with paid jobs where school grads were passed up.The profession is saturated with school taught people with little real experience and competition for the few jobs out there is fierce. I think you would do better to just get out there and do it. A willingness to do what it takes on the jobsite, a willlingness to learn,and realizing that you cannot talk and listen at the same time will take you further than a piece of paper. Good luck, I've been at it since '82 when I started out by painting bottoms.
Old 11-10-2009
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Try to get an apprenticeship at a yard that builds in wood.
Gannon & Benjamin, Van Dam Custom Boats, etc.
Old 11-10-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
Jumping right into it will probably be better than going to school(although it wouldn't hurt) but you will have to work your way up. A lot of people start with a job like a painter or apprentice and work their way into the construction side. You need to be at a yard that specializes in wood if that is the way you want to proceed. There are a couple of places around the country that would be good places to start like Port Townsend, Vineyard Haven, midcoast Maine, etc.
Old 11-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One of the members here knows the people at Gannon & Benjamin fairly well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-10-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punter View Post
..... I have found 2 schools that teach wooden boat building. SBSS on Gabriola island BC ...
I've stopped by at this school in Silva Bay a few times, it's a very small scale operation but has a pretty good reputation locally. As far as I know they have not built anything particularly large yet - mostly small rowing and sailing craft to say 20 feet - but what they produce looks very nice indeed.

If you're in Vancouver it's a nice day trip to check them out (though it is 4 ferries unless you fly Tofino Air - which is probably more cost effective and drops you 100 yards from the school)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-10-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
There are many schools that teach boat building... BUT! it's finding employment that is most difficult! All my life I wished I was in the trade but wound up in the HVAC biz. many boat builders of course have managed to actually sell their designs and plans to DIYers. I'm close to retirement, so it's not likely I'll ever find a niche for me.. May the employment gods guide and lead you Punter. You may find, (this a downside) that really successful boat building operations hire unskilled labor and farm out (use sub contractors) for the high tech work. good luck!

My boat is for sale.
Old 11-10-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
Two other options on the East Coast: International Yacht Restoration School in Newport, RI, and the Landing Boat School in Arundel (or Kennebunk) Maine. Both seem to be developing marine systems courses that provide more than just woodbutchering backgrounds for their students.
Old 11-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Both are excellent choices, and the scenery is unbeatable...as is the sailing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Two other options on the East Coast: International Yacht Restoration School in Newport, RI, and the Landing Boat School in Arundel (or Kennebunk) Maine. Both seem to be developing marine systems courses that provide more than just woodbutchering backgrounds for their students.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.