Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know of a firm who will do a tent job with the boat in the water in Florida.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I had dry wood termites on my boat in Florida about 15 years ago and had them successfully killed off. FORGET THE TENT! ,- it's a waste of $! The tent is usefull to seal a house, but it's easy to seal a boat without the tenting expense. With tape, plastic sheeting & foam plugs appropriately used you can seal your boat yourself very easily and quickly. I sealed my own boat and used the Terminix service to rid myself of termites. I don't recall my exact expense, but For the cubic feet of my 41' boat I think the total charge was near $200. No expense of tenting is required for a boat! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 11-12-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
32oz of Orange Oil concentrate= $15.00; syringe(s)= $9.00

dead termites@ $24.00

32:1 mix

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-09-2012

svfreyja is on a distinguished road
Re: GOT TERMITES What to do.

Ill try the Orange oil myself , but i have a termite issue to the point i need to kill them and then start replacing 4 bulkheads in the boat > Im going to call terminex and a few others in the ft Myers area and post back with the results
Old 08-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I have a question about tenting a fiberglass boat - why do you need to bother with a tent? Seems to me you could just tape up the seams of hatches and other openings and then set off the bomb inside.

Houses need to be tented because there is no practical way to seal them up and the bugs can be on the outside as well - that part would be the same for a wood boat as well but if all the wood is inside the glass hull & deck?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-09-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Here in Hawaii people do tent the boats for dry wood termites (as they do for houses). Tenting would be required if there was external (or wood hull/deck) where termites are. If they are only internal- sealing the boat with tape and gassing inside would work.

I would think you have dry wood termites. These can fly into a boat and do not need a water source. Ground termites need to get to a water source (could be your bilge), but I believe ground termites are rare except for a boat stored on land for a long time.

Terminex should be able to gas the boat. Who ever you get, make sure that are licensed and have insurance- the gas is deadly.
Old 08-09-2012

saltidog is on a distinguished road

This thread reminds me of an article many, many moons ago in the British monthly Yachting Monthly about blisters on the hull of those GRP hulls. Explanation of course was polyestermites.

Lots of folks fell for it too.
Old 08-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltidog View Post
This thread reminds me of an article many, many moons ago in the British monthly Yachting Monthly about blisters on the hull of those GRP hulls. Explanation of course was polyestermites.

Lots of folks fell for it too.
Termites are real, as well as concretemites.
Old 08-09-2012

good link:
Boat Fumigation - Bug Central For All Your Termite & Pest Control Needs (800) 557-9123
Old 08-10-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I once had an old wooden boat that had Carpenter Ants. It sank. When refloated, voila, the ants were gone! Salt water is a good insecticide.

I have used the insect "bombs" whereby you seal up, open up hatches and lockers, set it off and come back the next day. Those seem to work (without paying $600...geeez). Usually do this every couple of years. It's a bit of a pain because getting the mist all over everything like clothes and dishes, can't be too good. I usually remove whatever I can and make sure to wash down counters, etc. afterward.

Last edited by smurphny; 08-10-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: grammar