Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Very Good Vendor Thread

I'm the first to complain about bad service/poor work quality, but I also like to note the people who seem to know what they are doing. I needed a starter rebuilt, and someone local pointed me to Butch at Glen Burnie Generator in Glen Burnie, MD. He tore the thing apart in no time, cleaned it up, replaced everything that needed it (and some that didn't, which in this case is a good thing). When I walked out of the shop a little over an hour later, I had a nearly new starter and he charged me less than half the cost of a new one. I had the added comfort of knowing that it was going to match my engine perfectly (he used my old front end), and it worked great. I was VERY pleased with him and his work, and if you need a starter or alternator rebuilt, or a new one, I HIGHLY recommend them.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

I'm very happy with Gulf Coast Rigging in Punta Gorda, FL.

Ray was great to deal with. He is a real pro. Great work. I highly recommend.

He replaced a broken mast step and ran a new main halyard for me.

Ray Bradford
Gulf Coast Rigging
www.gulfcoastrigging.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TheWollard; 04-04-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: forgot to add the services he provided.
Old 04-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Wanted to give a shout-out to our own Maine Sail/ Compass Point Marine.

Apart from the stellar advice and support MS provides to the members of the forum(s), dealing with CPM is a pleasure as well. I ordered a custom alternator and smart regulator, it showed up (after cross-continent shipping) on time and as promised. Installed now and working as advertised.. A very happy customer.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-10-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

I like these guys - called about my A/C not cooling. They traced the problem to an internal tripped breaker (duh!) and did the honest thing: told me and didn't charge me (except for the trip to the boat)

Shiver Me Timbers
Marine Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
P.O. Box 40
Deale, MD 20751

301-452-0503

Office Location:
Herrington Harbour North Marina
389 Deale Road, Suite C
Tracys Landing, MD 20779

email:
services@shivermetimbers.us

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 04-21-2013
Jim Sanders

Jimmy E is on a distinguished road

Noah's Boat Building Supplies (Toronto)
This supplier of marine grade wood & teak is 2 hrs from my home. I was running late one day, and called ahead to see how late they were open. Realizing I was going to miss their closing time by a half hour, a clerk stayed back, so I could pick up my order. Not only that, the employee happily ripped the plywood I needed without even a sideways look,even though I had already held him up 45 min.
That type of customer service will always bring me back!

Cheers,
Jimmy
rikhall likes this.
Old 06-03-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Got old winches and need a handle?

Looking for handles that fit old winches? See this post regarding Auclair Nautic.
Old winch handle replacement
After searching for years, I'm a very happy customer!

Last edited by L124C; 06-03-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Ritchie Compass.

I got one of their bulkhead mount "explorer" compasses, which is on the lower end of their range. A few days after I installed it I noticed that it was missing fluid, and when I took it out it had a slow leak. I returned it to Ritchie under their warranty, they agreed to replace it due to a defective seal, and got it back to me today, less than 3 weeks after I mailed it to them.

I thought for sure a leaky compass would be blamed on the purchaser, especially in such a low-end unit, but they owned up and replaced it. Relatively quickly too considering that this is the busiest time of year.

It's a nice compass too for the money, only quam is it should have an LED bulb instead of old style incandescent, but that can be replaced.
Old 06-05-2013
22' Westerly Nomad

Travelnik is on a distinguished road

I would recommend Don's Marine Salvage in Clearwater Florida.
Welcome to Don's Marine Salvage. Your new and used boat parts heaven!

I had to replace my boom after I got my boat back, and they sold me a new Dwyer boom with all the fittings for a lot less than I would have had to pay Dwyer for the extrusion alone.

I got it 2 days after it shipped.

Good service (but they close early on Friday), and easy to work with.

It's nice to be able to say good things about vendors, rather than having to warn people about the bad ones!
Old 06-05-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Great service recently and fast friendly personal responses for maintenance/support of these 2 products:

thanx to Debi at LED Marine Lights and John at Peek a Booo? sailboat privacy shutters, blinds, shades, and window treatments for portlights and hatches.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 1 Day Ago

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Someone in another thread was asking about boat covers. I just wanted to mention how impressed I've been with my cover from Fairclough Sailmakers in New Haven, CT.

The cover came with the boat when I bought her and from the date penciled on the back side it was ordered with the boat when delivered in 1995.

After 19 years the cover is still in very good condition. After last years tough winter I noticed a couple of stitches at the top of the main zipper starting to open up. I'll get that fixed before I haul for the season. I can't see any reason why I wouldn't get at least another five years from this cover. That's great quality by anyone's standards.

I used tarps on my old boat, but after having a good quality cover I'd never go back to a tarp. It's worth it just for the peace of mind when a nor'easter is blowing or when we get the kind of snows we did last winter.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White