Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, at least in the USA, you have recourse, especially if you used a credit card. A purchase is an unstated contract... you're buying X and paying Y... if you don't get X, you aren't required to pay Y....If you paid with a credit card, call your credit card company and explain the situation to them... you'll probably get a credit for it in short order. Also, write your state's Attorney General's office and tell them about this, since this is mail fraud effectively... they promised you a BBQ mount for your BBQ...and didn't send you one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
Since there's no "very bad vendor thread" I just wanted to warn people about marinenutz.com

I purchased a mount for my boat BBQ from them, because the product was discontinued but they were the only people on the Internet still listing them in stock. Turns out they were mistaken, and sent me a mount for a totally different BBQ, one that won't work and normally costs half as much money!

They have basically stolen my money, because I still haven't been able to get a refund after 7 months. They usually take about a month to respond to e-mails, and never answer phone calls. They did send a shipping label to return the incorrect product, but it arrived 2 months ago (it took 5 months of pestering from me to get a return shipping label)- and they still haven't refunded me any money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2010

garymcg is on a distinguished road
Blue Sea Systems

I purchased numerous Blue Sea components (3 panels, bus bars, fuse boxes, etc etc) for a rewire this year. Everything worked fine except for the 2 hydrosonic water tank monitors; one always read empty, one always full. I tried the differenct calibration procedures, did some testing with a voltmeter etc. and finally called their tech support. They couldn't have been more helpful, I was in email contact with 2 of their engineers who shipped me 2 new sensors that they had tested which cured the problem.

During the first call with one of the engineers, before I got off the phone he said "listen, I just want you to know that we will stick you until this gets resolved even if it means replacing every component in the system" (he was referring to the VSM 422 monitor).

Top notch products which they stand behind all the way.
Old 08-30-2010

Skipper995 is on a distinguished road
I have to say a big 'Thank you' to Greg Devine at Flexdel Corp, the makers of Aquagard bottom paint. Two years ago our marina decided to stop allowing owners to apply their own bottom paint. I was forced to let the yard do this instead. Within months the poorly applied paint was coming off the boat and growth was getting ridiculous. I was scraping and clean nearly every week to keep up. I wet store every other year so didn't haul the boat last winter.
A few weeks ago I called Greg to ask about their paint formula to see if anything had changed. I have been using water based Aquagard for years with great success. I explained that the last application had been done by the marina instead of me and the result was awful. He apologized and said that he wanted to keep his customers happy and would send me two new gallons of paint for free. Several days later I received the two gallons along with a couple of T shirts with company logo and a note. I responded with an email thanking him for his forthright manner and attention to customer satisfaction.
If anyone is ever interested in an alternative to the high priced 'name brand' stuff I highly recommend you give Aquagard a try.
Needless to say this year I'm winter storing at another marina who will allow me to bottom paint my boat.
Old 08-30-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Also, write your state's Attorney General's office and tell them about this, since this is mail fraud effectively... they promised you a BBQ mount for your BBQ...and didn't send you one...
Marinenutz.com finally sent me a refund, about eight months after selling and shipping me the wrong BBQ mount. They're not fraudulent, just extremely slow and lazy as far as I can tell. I got my money back, but I won't be buying from them again!
Old 08-31-2010
Marty

msulc is on a distinguished road
Imtra (Imtra.com) totally refurbished my 20-year old Muir Windlass after it stopped working. They did a great job and the price was very reasonable.

I think both Defender.com and Jamestowndistributors.com are great. I sometimes can't believe how fast I get my stuff with regular shipping (sometimes next day after ordering the previous night). Torrenson marine is good for Yanmar parts. Go2marine.com is good sometimes as well for parts.

After having a couple of dhingy lights rust or break on me, I purchased an all around light from Kayalite. It is worked wonderfully so far. (only about a year but longer than the others). It is not the completely stable on the back ledge of my dinghy but it doesn't ever fall off.

For wifi I bought from islandtimepc.com. The system has worked well and they were very helpful replacing a part.

When I needed someone to do some general work on my boat in Stuart FL, I used Damsel Marine. Carl did a really good job working on a variety of issues.
Old 08-31-2010

grmitche is on a distinguished road
Andersen winches sent me replacement drums for 10 year old, out of warranty winches - that had issues with the top plastic spring. All for the cost of return shipping. excellent service.
Old 10-12-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Beckson Marine Inc

Beckson Marine Inc Beckson Marine Inc.- Marine Hardware

I decided to just replace the lens, gaskets, screens, and knobs to latches on 9 opening ports on our 1982 T37. Stainless Ports from NFM would have been great, but I didnt want to spend the $$$ nor did I want to take the time to do a total refit, not to mention the frames were in good shape and not leaking, just the gaskets and some broken off hinges. So for about $500 we were able to get ports we can see through and it took us only about 6 hours to do them all.

Matt at Beckson was a pleasure to deal with. Due to a fit issue becasue their prodcution line changed in 1982, we went through some trial and error but got it worked out. Matt even followed up to see how the install went and if he could provide any more assistance.

Kudos to Matt and Beckson Marine, a professional company providning a great product.

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-12-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2010
Monty 17

rigbee is on a distinguished road
I'd like to give a thumbs up to Marine Servicenter, out of Seattle and Anacortes.I was very happy with their help and found they made the whole boat buying process very smooth.

I was particularly impressed with one of their salesmen Dan K. He knew his stuff and even though he dealt with larger more expensive boat than the 17 I bought, he never seemed to waiver from being interested and helpful.I tend to be very caustic to the salesmen who see you as nothing more than a wallet(I know thats their job), so I do appreciated the sales people who have a good balance of interest for themselves and the possible buyer.
Old 03-06-2011
Maine Member

BELLATRIX1965 is on a distinguished road
Hamilton Marine, Genuinedealz

I have to recommend my friends down the road at Hamilton Marine in Searsport, Maine (they're on the web and several other stores in Maine as well). Great, friendly folks and excellent prices - they usually match or beat Defender, and ALWAYS beat "Worst Marine" prices!

GenuineDealz is great too - high quality marine electrical cable, wire, fittings, etc. AND they will crimp heavy cable end fittings for $1 a pop labor. Oh, yes - and FREE shipping! Unless you have a wholesale account someplace, NOBODY, but nobody can beat their prices!

Let's keep this thread going - we're soooo quick to b**ch, but some vendors really deserve a pat on the back and some free advertizing!
Old 06-10-2011

Fodder is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Another vote for Blue Seas Systems

I have to give them big kudos for their response to my issue. This spring I took the tarp off the boat and hooked up all the bits and pieces. Everything worked except the DC Digital Multimeter I had installed last year. After assuming I had done something wrong and gone through every wire and fuse to confirm that I hadn't, I called their tech support line on a Friday at 7:30 p.m. my time (4:30 p.m. on the West coast). I was quickly put through to their Service Manager and I told him my story. His response: "Sorry about that, sir. Sometimes they just die. I will send you a new one right away. " Wow! I was really impressed. He didn't even ask me for the serial number or receipt info. I got the brand new component a week later (in Canada) and couldn't be happier. Two thumbs up!