Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: Very Good Vendor Thread

Today, while pulling a mast from an Irwin 38', we managed to damage the mast step. (note, when pulling masts, make sure there isn't a piece of hardware bolted through the mast and into the step ).
The boat was being decommissioned in order to be trucked from the area so time was an issue.
I took the step to my friends Daryl and John at EMBREE Welding Service, who we use for most all of our metal fabrication needs. They not only stopped what they were doing to repair the step, but they didn't charge me a dime because they knew that it was coming out of our own pocket. I don't imagine that they would do that for everyone, but they do excellent, timely and fairly priced work and are a pleasure to deal with.
A hearty recommendation.

EMBREE Welding Service
690 43 St. South
Saint Petersburg, FL 33711
727 321 8771

Last edited by knothead; 03-29-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2012

Kielanders is on a distinguished road

I've been thinking about posting this for awhile, but thought it would appear like a sales pitch. This thread provides a really nice opportunity.

I'd been boat shopping for over two years now, and a couple of boats I was serious about were listed through Vela Yacht Sales in Victoria, British Columbia.

Shawn Dunand who owns and runs Vela worked with me very honestly, and being a prospective new owner, helped me understand whether or not the boats I was looking at were right for me.

I'm now very close on the purchase of a boat not listed through Vela. Even so, after I made Shawn aware of this, he called me and talked with me about the boat as he knew the somewhat rare make - and spoke of what a great boat it looked to be, how if it surveyed well, it would be a boat that would be a perfect fit for me, gave me advice on what to look for in the boat and a surveyor, and how to structure a fair contract since this boat was offered by-owner.

I am stunned that such honesty exists.

Last edited by Kielanders; 04-17-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

All,

I just finished replacing the standing rigging on my Alberg 30. Just wanted to list the vendors that helped me along the way

Rigging Only-Fairhaven, Ma

B&S Bolt- Norfolk, Va

L&W Machine- Norfolk, Va

These guys were very reasonably priced and exceptional service!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 05-01-2012
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Just had some engine work done on my Yanmar 3HM. Needed a new exhaust, fuel filter, water filter and the motor serviced.

List Marine in Sausalito did the work and they did a VERY clean, professional install of everything. They ended up making so much extra room in the engine/lockers that I can probably keep at least 50% more gear in there. The exhaust was installed completely in the engine compartment with just the final exhaust hose coming through a locker. (wasn't like that before) Again, VERY clean install.

Dealing with Tom, Jessica, Hans and the rest of the crew there was always spot on with regard to customer service. Very professional, all of them. The final price ended up being a bit more than I was quoted but the quality of the install and the addition of the raw water filter (not originally discussed) made the price more than acceptable.

If I could find any problem I had it would be about not informing me of the additional costs before I came to pick up the boat. However, they were very understanding and let me send them a check later the following week.

As an out of area boat owner, they made the whole process so easy, locals should have an even better experience.

Check them out: List Marine: Sailboat, Power Boat Engine sales and service
Old 07-13-2012

rackham the red is on a distinguished road

Good morning
Question about Barlett Sails, Do they do all size of sails if you know? I am going to take my boat to Port Aransas so they would be convenient.

Further note. Great idea thank you very much.

rochelle
Old 07-13-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Maritime Plastics in Annapolis for hatch lenses, windows etc. Keith is easy to work with and charges a fair (not cheap) price.
Old 07-13-2012

rackham the red is on a distinguished road

Since we are listing vendors who serve us well, does anyone know about boat insurance? I am bringing my boat from Cayman to Texas. LLoyds of London insured here for $2200 a year.

The best quote I have gotten here with much less coverage is US Boats for double that price.

Help. and Thanks
Old 07-27-2012

HBBurlington is on a distinguished road

Abbey at Island Canvas in Toronto - great upholstery and canvas.
They did an awesome job of sprucing (replacing) up all our interior cushions and foam.

Marine Express Parts - Maine - imported fuel system parts from them into Canada because (sadly) the bottom line was still le$$ than what we would have paid for them here.

West Marine - we bought a BBQ from them and within two days, my hubby dropped the gas regulator knob overboard.
Hhhmmm...it didn't float. And he wouldn't go get it.
They replaced the entire regulator assembly, not just the knob.
(I did buy the warranty).

The Store - Mason's Chandlery, Port Credit.
Lori Mason - for her WOW Seminars, (Women On the Water), and her excellent and rational advice.
Mason's are also one of the best stocked, and fairly priced outfits in the Mississauga region of Ontario, Canada.

Cheers
Old 07-27-2012

dongreerps is on a distinguished road

Tropic Aire in Belize. Still run by real people. If everyone ticketed on a flight shows up early, the flight will leave early. Pleasant. More important, on more than one occasion I have seen them faced with a situation in which they have more passengers than seats. (delayed inbound flights, etc). They simply pull another plane out of the hanger, gas it up, load up and go. And every employee seems to like to smile! Ever seen a domestic airline put an extra plane in service?
Old 07-27-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Sea Frost Refrigeration

So a few weeks ago I ran into Cleave, the owner of Sea Frost Refrigeration, on the dock at our club. We got to chatting and I asked him if there was any possible way to convert our Shore Assist refrigeration system (120V) to 12V. He stood there, scratched his head and said, "Sure I don't see why not.". I could see the gears turning....

Our boat has a beautiful Sea Frost engine driven refrigeration system and also had the upgraded second 120V compressor system for when plugged into shore power. We are on a mooring and rarely if ever at the dock. When we cruise we anchor out. My wife actually dislikes docks and we cruise to get away, not be near........ As such the 120V Shore Assist system was sitting there doing us no good. I had actually removed it from the boat during the re-wire and never re-installed it.

Engine driven refrigeration relies on an engine driven, belt drive compressor and a massive aluminum holding plate that freezes to about -25F to -30F and acts like a massive block of ice. With one hour of engine a day we put some charge into the batteries and get cold food for 20 - 24 hours. The catch, is one hour of engine per day, every day.

There are times I would LOVE to flip on a 12V fridge and not have to sit there on the hook and run the motor for cold food..

Because our holding plate has two sets of coils in it, engine and 120V system, converting to 12V was as easy as a control module, Danfoss BD80 12V compressor and a new 120mm 12V fan. Because this new compressor is 12V I can run it at a dock or when off cruising and not wanting to run the motor in a beautiful anchorage.

The engine side will still be our primary refrigeration but this gives us an extremely "gourmet" package. If one side of the system goes down we still have the other, cold booze and grub is very important you know....

So the long and short is that I dropped it off at Sea Frost in NH on Wednesday and it was back on my door step this evening for a VERY REASONABLE price.. They did an absolutely gorgeous conversion and for a custom conversion this can't be beat.

I will never own any marine refrigeration system other than Sea Frost as long as Cleave owns the company. His customer support goes BEYOND tremendous..

12V and engine driven refrigeration, can't beat that! I just can't believe it took me this long to think of it......

Thanks Cleave!!!!

T37Chef likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.