Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Very Good Vendor Thread

We always have threads complaining about this or that or this product or that marina, etc. How about a thread where we thank some of the vendors that do a good job and take their customer service seriously.

I will get it started with a few that I would use again in a heart beat.

First:

Catalina Yachts

If you pick up the phone and call them, right now, they will take your call and take the time to speak with you. If you have a problem, they get on it. Warren and Gerry Douglas take a VERY personal interest in helping people and being involved in their products. I am not going to speka for Catalina or all issues here, but let me just tell you that I have witnessed many instances where Catalina took responsibility for fixing things that were NOT their problems and in my opinion that they did not need to fix.

Maybe they do not make the best boats in the world. Maybe they are not Oysters or Hinckleys. But they take their products seriously and they take customer service seriously. For that reason alone I will put them on the very top of this list of Very Good Vendors.

Next...

Mastervolt

I have owned both Mastervolt and Fisher Panda. First, regarding Mastervolt, they have replaced items out of warranty for me and reply to my questions within 24 hours. Now, I have had problems with my generator. However, they took an interest in getting them resolved and did it without concern. I would buy one of their products again.

Fisher Panda Generators

Let me tell you about a very recent experience with Fisher Panda. There was an owner (it is on Sailnet) that had an out of warranty FP generator. Fisher Panda could have just let him deal with it himself. Instead, they offered to fix it for free. That is a classic example of taking pride in your products and standing behind them. Generators and engines in general are things that can and will break. Nothing is perfect. What seperates good manufacturers from the bad ones is not the breakage, but the customer support and being there for the customer afterwards. Good job Jtill.

Others members, feel free to post your POSITIVE experiences here and manufacturers that you would reccomend to others.

- CD
JulieMor likes this.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Can we start a VERY BAD VENDOR THREAD too??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-12-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Bartlett Sails in Austin.

They did a great job on our canvass covers - and worked hard to address even small issues that came up. Great guys.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-12-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Good and Bad

On the Very good side: A&D Yacht Repair at Rocky Point near Portland, OR. Good work at a fair price and unlike almost every boat yard I've used, they stick to their estimates as their final price!

On the other side: Schooner Creek in Portland, OR. Send me a PM and I'll tell you my story as to why I will never go back there again.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 11-12-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I know as sailors (as any individual in fact) we are quick to criticize and slow to thank. The truth is that there are some really good vendors out there that go way out of their way and rarely get recognized because they do it right. I could certainly make the case that this thread will be at least as important to someone making a buying decision as a 'Bad Vendor' thread.

Anyways, everyone, please participate as you can.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-12-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Keith Donaldson of Advanced Sails in Saint Petersburg Florida.

I literally, in 15 years have never heard anyone say a bad word about him.
Old 11-12-2009

Faith of Holland is on a distinguished road
In 39,000 miles, circumnavigating the world, we rarely found "bad" vendors. There was the occasional incompetent vendor, but all in all, in the sport (hobby, lifestyle) we've chosen, the people servicing us have demonstrated integrity. I have a hard time thinking about the 'outstanding' vendor because from West Marine shipping a stove to us in Malaysia (they had to ship three times, because of damage in transit), to local hardware stores, chandleries, and shipyards everywhere, we've dealt with top-notch people.

Sailing Faith: Home Page
Old 11-12-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith of Holland View Post
In 39,000 miles, circumnavigating the world, we rarely found "bad" vendors. There was the occasional incompetent vendor, but all in all, in the sport (hobby, lifestyle) we've chosen, the people servicing us have demonstrated integrity. I have a hard time thinking about the 'outstanding' vendor because from West Marine shipping a stove to us in Malaysia (they had to ship three times, because of damage in transit), to local hardware stores, chandleries, and shipyards everywhere, we've dealt with top-notch people.

Sailing Faith: Home Page
What a nice post.

I do think that most people, at least the smaller companies, go into business with a real desire to serve and to make a good name for themselves. You can't please all the people all the time, but if doing so is one's goal, I think that it happens more often than not.

One of my favorite sayings is that it take ten happy customers to make up for one dissatisfied customer. It only makes good business sense to try to be a top notch vendor.

I love to work for people who have attitudes like the one displayed in FOH's post.
Old 11-13-2009

14432 is on a distinguished road
Layline - on the rebound

Some of you, especially those who race, may have dealt with a company that was originally in Raleigh, NC called Layline. A few years ago the original owner sold the business and it was relocated to Buford, GA - after which the service declined considerably. According to the website Walt, the original owner, has bought it back and will be reopening back in Raliegh in the near future. I look forward to their return to the market.

I also have been dealing with Annapolis Performance Sailing for years and recommend them highly.
Old 11-13-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Living in the midwest makes getting access to good sailmakers difficult. When I was researching to have a good composite sail for my j/34c built, Harry Pattison (owner) with EP sails took all the time (and patience with my AR questioning) necessary for me to get a sail that fit my boat properly and meet my expectations. After I recieved the sail, I mananged to damage it and EP's followup service was excellent. Fair priced and quick. Though located on the west coat (Newport Beach) they did the repair for about 1/2 what I thought it would be and turned it around in 2 days after they recieved it. I will do business with them again.
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003