Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Dog and Klem, that is all very interesting, I did not know that. I had thought that hybrid electric was basically a done deal for boats, that we were just waiting until the day. I know there are people out there installing electric drives on their boats, or at least I've heard people saying they were, I have never actually seen one myself. It is unfortunate in a way, I was looking forward not only to the eventual fuel savings, but also to new designs that moved the heaviest part of the propulsion (power generator) to a place that was more seaworthy, towards the center of the boat no doubt, and lower.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
What about the solution that modern ships use: an inboard engine that generates power for electrical motors on the hull?

You'd still have to deal with a diesel or A4, but instead of a tranny and driveshaft you'd just have electrical leads to the motor. That seems like it would reduce a lot of complicated connections.

I'm sure I'm wrong, though. But where?! Cost, probably, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 11-13-2009

jbarros is on a distinguished road
all this talk of electrics is cool, but it doesn't work for someone looking to buy a $10,000 boat. This means that you're looking at something under 30' in most cases, and will be on a tight budget.

So the answer is, get a good boat in decent condition with a blown motor. Get on ebay and get an inexpensive 5-6 hp long shaft outboard and some mounting brackets. The next time you haul out, pull the internal and patch the throughhull the propshaft went through. Recycle the old engine to get enough money to pay for the tankage you're going to install where the internal engine was. As an added bonus, the motor mount can be brought to the upright position and you have even less drag than a feathering prop would.

That would be my solution anyway. ymmv.

-- James
Old 11-13-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Gas Engine & Power Company unknown

One of the most frightening power sources for a boat I've ever seen was at the Phila maritime museum boat shop. ( used to volenteer there) it was a launch powered by a Naptha engine. If I understood it correctly the naptha was heated from gel to liquid into high pressure gas then drove the pistons like steam then condensed and so on... also it was used to fire the boiler... and we think propane is dangerous??? No matter how we try to reason it. Diesel really seems to be the best engine for boats. even stink pots with big gas engines are being converted. but again it all comes back to spending money and not getting even half of it back when you sell.

Someone please take the OP sailing without an engine! The OP will be happy (or not) to know the A4 is on display at mystic seaport museum!!

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 11-13-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: here's a link
Old 11-13-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I feel bad about helping to pull the OP's thread off course a second time, but then part of me is not sure what the OP is even asking at this point. I mean you don't like the motor, you live with, replace it, or get rid of it, none of them are very fun options, but that's just how it goes. And sellers ask what they want for a boat and if you can negotiate a difference price good for you, and if not, then not so good for you! It's not a conundrum without an answer, it's just a question with answers you don't like!

Please support my
Old 11-13-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
A bit off track, but what has always amazed me is the cruising catamarans with 2 Yanmar or similar engines, one is each hull. Seems to me that a better solution would be one engine installed in the centre driving either 2 electric motors or 2 fluid drives. There have been hydraulic drives on boats before so they are proven afloat.
Brian
Old 11-13-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
The easiest solution is to find an older boat thta has already been repowered, then the owner is selling for whatever life circumstance. The best "values" in my opinion are old boats that have been kept in specatacular condition and maintained to like new. The owner will never get the money back that he's spent on keeping up the boat. Every once in a while you'll find a boat on yachtworld where the prior owner spent elaborate sums of money on a cruising dream that was sidetracked for whatever reason (money, job, divorce, or death)...but those are the bargains if you can get 'em, even if they cost 2-3x the cost of a neglected boat with blown out sails and bad engine.

Last edited by night0wl; 11-13-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2009

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the OP wants a good boat and motor but doesn't want to pay for them. Even a 1oo pound thrust electric trolling motor is 5 or 6 hundred dollars.
Old 11-13-2009

mstern is on a distinguished road
Jasper:

I believe your original question was how do you go about telling someone that you feel their boat isn't worth the asking price because the engine is in bad shape?

I think the answer is easy, if not so pleasant: "Thanks for showing me your boat, but I am looking for one with the engine in better shape. Good luck." You are under no obligation but common courtesy. Yes, there are a lot of boats priced at about 10K out there with A4s that are less desireable because of their engines, but there ain't much anyone can do about that. If you like the boat and can't fix the engine, and all you want is assistance in getting in and out of the marina, an outboard is the way to go.
Old 11-13-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXBOT View Post
Sounds like the OP wants a good boat and motor but doesn't want to pay for them. Even a 1oo pound thrust electric trolling motor is 5 or 6 hundred dollars.
I think the OP wants a $15K boat for $5k, but since a the boats at $5k have suspect motors, the owners should give them away as it will cost him more than the boat is worth to repower it with a must have diesel. I do not see anyone giving away a boat that is in otherwise good condition unless the mortgage on their home is in danger of foreclosure.

I am wondering when Tager will chime in with an alternate source of boat propulsion he can make himself or get for $300.

PS I thought the reason hybrids work efficiently in cars is free energy in city driving with braking energy used to produce power to the batteries, but gas mileage not so spectacular on the highways.

Last edited by jephotog; 11-13-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Hybrid question