Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Free Boat

I'm not one to usually pander to the free boat scene..but this one might be different.

Sounds like there is a sad ending to a gallant attempt here and possibly a gallant and heartfelt offering by someone one on the short end of life's rope passing his dream on to to someone worthy of it.......maybe not and its like all other free boats...a nightmare as well.

I have not looked at it but it is close to me so I could if anyone is genuinely interested.

Newbies... This is a complex boat so pleas don't think this is not going to cost 10"s of thousands to finish...and waste my time..

44' Ketch

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2009

MazeRat7 is on a distinguished road
You may be right. That one does sound a bit different. If I was not so far away, I would try to organize a group or team to work together to complete the restoration with the intent of making her a charter for others to enjoy.

The business angle is actually simple. Create a team of sailors/investors that are willing to contribute to making her sail with the understanding their investment may have no returns other than shared time sailing her.

Once ready and proven, pimp her and try to generate revenue. Sure it will not be much after operational expenses are covered but there might just be financial payback for the initial team. The pride payback for the work done of course is not measurable.

At the end of the day, one more boat is restored and available to those that worked to restore her. Like you said, it will be a money pit, but it would not be that bad if there were others to help with the burden and it was a shared project.

Cheers,
MZr7
1985 Catalina 36 Tall #404
s/v Peace of Mind
Austin, Tx.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook