Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I agree with some earlier posts that suggest the watch is totally cosmetic fashion and not functional. Your GPS has the time and your back-up GPS has the same time. Wear the bracelet as it pleases you. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Ok give us a break. If you don't like a watch dont wear one, but recognize some of us want to know what time it is when there isn't a GPS nearby.

My watch is my watch. Its a fairly expensive Seiko, but I wear it day in, day out, working, flying, swimming whatever I'm doing, not just sailing. If I loose it, Oh well, I'll buy another one, because I like having a rugged, nice looking watch that has proven the equal of the abuse I can dish out. I don't have multiple watches for different activities, its just my watch until it breaks, and then I get a new one.

As far as relyng on the GPS time, when I am sailing, I find I sometimes want to know the time when someone else is at the helm and looking at the GPS wouldn't be convienient. When flying, I find it much simpler to check my wristwatch than navigate away from the screens I'm using for navigation to the page to get the time.

Those are some valid reasons why people choose to have a timepiece on them. If you don't like a watch, fine but don't try to denigrate those that do as some followers of a fashion fad.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I for one am impressed...wind magic

My mind will not retain such data...I think I must have an early model...40 mega bites if I remember correctly...So I have to be careful what I keep and what I delete...

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 11-18-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I meant that if you're watching the sky a lot and know what phase the moon is in you know when the spring and neap tides are, and after a while you just figure out based on where you sail what the tides are likely to be doing. Is that such an odd thing to say ?
Sorry ...... if I sounded a bit harsh. Since I wear a digital watch anyway, and since the tide runs fairly strong in and out of my little cove, if I neglected to keep track of all the things involved...... and I'm getting to my dock - I just push a button and know EXACTLY what the tide is doing where I am and how it will affect my docking. Whether it's a GPS, Radar, or ChartPlotter I embrace the technology. Ya.... ya.... of course I have the yearly tide and current book, paper charts, a couple of magnetic compasses... and so on and soforth for backup .... but I'd just as soon push a button for information if it's readily available ...... just like you did to get here
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 11-18-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
And of course if one does not have GPS........GPS time does me what good?!?!?!?!

SO I will stick to my swiss army lanyard watch I spoke about 30 or so posts ago. Or if I really want to, I do have a SA wrist watch too..........not that I have lost any finners or wrists or close like stilly, I do not wear a wedding ring either, other than social events like last night, ring/wrist watch was off as soon as I got in the door!

I do know of a waterproof watch that fits over a rain coat, IIRC the band is a velcro, with BIG numbers. A few folks at the ski/snowboard school I work for swear by them. I'll still stick with my lanyard watch!

Marty
Old 11-18-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
I keep an old Timex Indiglo in the nav station, but never wear it. The last thing I need is to catch it on something when going on the foredeck.

Dave
Old 11-18-2009

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Apparently the Rolex Cup Regatta and Panerai Classic Yacht Challenge are not having the desired effect.

Mike
Old 11-18-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
My guess is the first thing one has to do is define "going to sea". If it means a coastal trip from one anchorage to another then any old watch will do and as some posts say, even no watch in some cases is good.

But if you're going to sea from one continent to another then a decent watch is essential. Having wizzbang atomic clock reporting in to your GPS is so useless for this because it is when your GPS stops working that you will hopefully be taking a sight with your sextant and you will need accurate time which your GPS can obviously no longer provide.

I have a Seiko Sportura multi time zone which has been accurate to the second since I first set it in March of 2007. I guess when it needs a new battery then it'll have to be reset but up to now it's been perfect. You can see the one I have here:

Sportura - World Timer Chronograph | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 11-19-2009
SV Déjàlà

braidmike is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Omatako. I like to keep practiced-up with my sextant, and it seems kind of silly to look at the GPS for time when using the old standbye. For noonsites, I like to have a digital readout: makes it a bit easier to keep track of things. My ancient timex needs replacing, I'm spending more time calculating seconds lost/gained than taking sites!
Old 11-19-2009
Underwater Basket Weaver

TintedChrome is on a distinguished road
I'm a watch guy too, and while I'll wear whatever I happen to be wearing that day sailing (it is, after all, just a watch, and my philosophy is that if all it's going to do is sit in a watch box and never be worn then it's useless), on an extended cruise where I'd be away from home for a long while I'd only bring two -

my quartz Luminox, simply because it's built like a friggin tank, is extremely accurate, and the luminous dials are mighty convenient at night..

and my "automatik" Sinn 556, because frankly I'm completely in love with it and it's a "dressier" watch to wear when making landfall.. Plus, it looks stunning in person and I love the attention it gets from the women despite its incredibly simple dial

Other than that, other watches that have made it onto a boat are an Omega Seamaster 120, old Gruen military watch, Glycine Airman, Swatch Chrono, and countless cheapies.. I've lost a Fortis Flieger Chrono over the side though (bummer!), so some crab off the coast of Brittany is sporting that one.. and I got so pissed off at the Seiko automatic and it's ridiculous 6-8 hr power reserve and chronic inaccuracy (granted it was a cheapie) that I voluntarily offered that one up to Neptune two years ago off the coast of Maine after it made an escape attempt by snapping one of the spring-bars and falling onto the cockpit sole.

But yeah, all that to say - it's a watch -wear what you like and what you're comfortable wearing for extended periods of time. And don't wear anything you're not prepared to lose or replace.
Old 11-19-2009

Icarus05 is on a distinguished road
Citizen Ecodrive Skyhawk

I would go with this b/c I've had one for 6 years with no problems. No batteries or winding. I has the digital bit for stop watch etc... plus can store and switch between timezones world wide. I used to be a professional pilot which is why I originally went with this type of watch. Of course you don't have to have it but I can't stand not. Even with access to a hundred other things that will tell you time and more, I like having it on my watch.

If you really want to get serious about the "going to sea" part and extreme circumstances, the other feature that this watch has that I actually use a lot is called an E6-B on the bezel. This is a sort of circular slide rule that all pilots learn to use at some point. They are easy to learn and use and do all sorts of calculations for time/dis., speed, fuel burn, etc....Again it is totally analog, easy to use and I've actually used it on distance races, road trips, etc...