SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Going to Sea? What watch would you wear?

8K views 57 replies 46 participants last post by  SundancerKid 
#1 ·
Hello all

I am in the market for a new watch, so if you were going to sea what watch would you wear?
- Casio sea pathfinder with it's atomic time keeping?
- Seiko for the quality?
- Timex ironman just because their cheap and reliable?

Pics would be great.

Thanks,
John

#41 ·
Ok give us a break. If you don't like a watch dont wear one, but recognize some of us want to know what time it is when there isn't a GPS nearby.

My watch is my watch. Its a fairly expensive Seiko, but I wear it day in, day out, working, flying, swimming whatever I'm doing, not just sailing. If I loose it, Oh well, I'll buy another one, because I like having a rugged, nice looking watch that has proven the equal of the abuse I can dish out. I don't have multiple watches for different activities, its just my watch until it breaks, and then I get a new one.

As far as relyng on the GPS time, when I am sailing, I find I sometimes want to know the time when someone else is at the helm and looking at the GPS wouldn't be convienient. When flying, I find it much simpler to check my wristwatch than navigate away from the screens I'm using for navigation to the page to get the time.

Those are some valid reasons why people choose to have a timepiece on them. If you don't like a watch, fine but don't try to denigrate those that do as some followers of a fashion fad.

#30 ·
wow 28 replies in 24 hours, nice.
A couple of random questions/comments.
1) The casio with atomic time keeping, can you still set the watch manually?
While the atomic time keeping and solar powered are nice I am not sure I want that much technology attached to my wrist. The higher the technology content the greater the chance it will stop working.
2) The luminox watches are spectacular, but pricey, are they battery driven?
Rather than motion driven like some of the seiko's/citizen watches, again less technology is some times better than more
3) I like the look of the new timex ironman's nice big and simple display, the molded watch band concerns me but as was posted the 10$ replacement is nice.
4) At this point I have no criteria beyond simply designed, accurate and well built. I have no interest in buying a watch only to replace it in a couple of years.

Keep the posts coming,
Thanks John

edit: smackdaddy I had a mickey mouse watch once, I still kick myself for loosing it.

#31 ·
Casio Data Bank when I wear a watch.

Waterproof to 30 feet at least I think it is. The last one was.

•150 Page Databank.
•8 letters and 12 numerals per page.
•Memory shared between telememo and schedule memo.
•Auto-sort function.
•EEPROM memory protection.
•8-Digit Calculator.
•Constants for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
•EL Backlight with Afterglow.
•World Time.
•24 time zones (23 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off.
•Daily Alarm.
•Countdown Timer.
•Measuring unit: 1 second Countdown range: 1 minute to 24 hours Auto-repeat Function.
•1/100 second stopwatch.
•Measuring capacity: 23:59’59.99” Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times.
•Hourly Time Signal.
•Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2094).
•12/24 Hour Formats.

Now I can really impress a girl in a bar when I explain all it can do.

Oh yeah around $30. Bought two just in case one goes plop.

#35 ·
I've had Freestyles for a few years. They are digital and I can see the tide in a glance. The problem is I bought it before they changed the Daylight Savings dates and since that info was 'hard coded' into the watch - I have to reset it 4 times a year now :eek:

#36 ·
I think one of those tide watches would be useful if you didn't sail often. I am interested in star gazing so I just naturally seem to always know what phase the moon is in, so I wouldn't really need it, but for people who aren't interested in such things I would think that could be very useful.

#38 ·
My input

I have worn the cheap timex for years, because they are cheap, and reliable with many funcitons. I do have some nice watches but do not want the heavy or expensive watch on all times. A dive watch really hurts your wrist when banging down a mountain bike trail. Also it is hard to convince a salesman you can't afford something when wearing a Rolex, even if it is a fake.

If I were to wear a watch on watch, a disposable timex would be my first choice. I do have and wear a casio pathfinder now and really like it. I got it online for less than $200.

PAW 1300
It has a bunch of cool stuff on it and I like cool stuff.
solar panel
Atomic clock sync
barometer
altimeter
compass

I thought some of the features were unecessary but bought this model anyways and have enjoyed never having to do anything to it for 2 years and have all those functions available and an accurate time to set all my other clocks with.

Whatever watch you get, I recommend getting a "band" watch. Chisco - The Band Watch Band
Unless you get a nice heavy watch then it looks cheesey. But if will allow you a variety of fits so you can put it under or over a few layers. Also, if the watch gets caught on anything it will break one pin and the watch and band will still be with you. You will need to replac the pin though so get some spares.

#42 ·
I for one am impressed...wind magic

My mind will not retain such data...I think I must have an early model...40 mega bites if I remember correctly...So I have to be careful what I keep and what I delete...:D

#44 ·
And of course if one does not have GPS........GPS time does me what good?!?!?!?!

SO I will stick to my swiss army lanyard watch I spoke about 30 or so posts ago. Or if I really want to, I do have a SA wrist watch too..........not that I have lost any finners or wrists or close like stilly, I do not wear a wedding ring either, other than social events like last night, ring/wrist watch was off as soon as I got in the door!

I do know of a waterproof watch that fits over a rain coat, IIRC the band is a velcro, with BIG numbers. A few folks at the ski/snowboard school I work for swear by them. I'll still stick with my lanyard watch!

Marty

#47 ·
My guess is the first thing one has to do is define "going to sea". If it means a coastal trip from one anchorage to another then any old watch will do and as some posts say, even no watch in some cases is good.

But if you're going to sea from one continent to another then a decent watch is essential. Having wizzbang atomic clock reporting in to your GPS is so useless for this because it is when your GPS stops working that you will hopefully be taking a sight with your sextant and you will need accurate time which your GPS can obviously no longer provide.

I have a Seiko Sportura multi time zone which has been accurate to the second since I first set it in March of 2007. I guess when it needs a new battery then it'll have to be reset but up to now it's been perfect. You can see the one I have here:

Sportura - World Timer Chronograph | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION
http://ld_tc.html

#48 ·
Thanks, Omatako. I like to keep practiced-up with my sextant, and it seems kind of silly to look at the GPS for time when using the old standbye. For noonsites, I like to have a digital readout: makes it a bit easier to keep track of things. My ancient timex needs replacing, I'm spending more time calculating seconds lost/gained than taking sites!

#49 ·
I'm a watch guy too, and while I'll wear whatever I happen to be wearing that day sailing (it is, after all, just a watch, and my philosophy is that if all it's going to do is sit in a watch box and never be worn then it's useless), on an extended cruise where I'd be away from home for a long while I'd only bring two -

my quartz Luminox, simply because it's built like a friggin tank, is extremely accurate, and the luminous dials are mighty convenient at night..

and my "automatik" Sinn 556, because frankly I'm completely in love with it and it's a "dressier" watch to wear when making landfall.. Plus, it looks stunning in person and I love the attention it gets from the women despite its incredibly simple dial ;)

Other than that, other watches that have made it onto a boat are an Omega Seamaster 120, old Gruen military watch, Glycine Airman, Swatch Chrono, and countless cheapies.. I've lost a Fortis Flieger Chrono over the side though (bummer!), so some crab off the coast of Brittany is sporting that one.. and I got so pissed off at the Seiko automatic and it's ridiculous 6-8 hr power reserve and chronic inaccuracy (granted it was a cheapie) that I voluntarily offered that one up to Neptune two years ago off the coast of Maine after it made an escape attempt by snapping one of the spring-bars and falling onto the cockpit sole.

But yeah, all that to say - it's a watch -wear what you like and what you're comfortable wearing for extended periods of time. And don't wear anything you're not prepared to lose or replace.

#50 ·
Citizen Ecodrive Skyhawk

I would go with this b/c I've had one for 6 years with no problems. No batteries or winding. I has the digital bit for stop watch etc... plus can store and switch between timezones world wide. I used to be a professional pilot which is why I originally went with this type of watch. Of course you don't have to have it but I can't stand not. Even with access to a hundred other things that will tell you time and more, I like having it on my watch.

If you really want to get serious about the "going to sea" part and extreme circumstances, the other feature that this watch has that I actually use a lot is called an E6-B on the bezel. This is a sort of circular slide rule that all pilots learn to use at some point. They are easy to learn and use and do all sorts of calculations for time/dis., speed, fuel burn, etc....Again it is totally analog, easy to use and I've actually used it on distance races, road trips, etc...

#56 ·
#57 ·
Tag Heuer- any one of them are good. If it fits right, and you keep an eye on it, the losing it over the side chances are reduced, (although not eliminated, obviously). I've only had one. It has lasted through two very aggressive careers, multiple outdoor adventure sports, and two boats. I can't say enough about it- it's a one time expense, has gone 23 years now with no problem except the bezel stop wore out, and so now the ring will go backwards as well as forwards- only life changing if you dive without a computer.

#58 ·
I have a few watches but like a few others, I prefer to go the cheap and replaceable route when sailing. My sailing watch is a Casio Sea Pathfinder (which I believe is a cheaper version of the Pathfinder). Waterproof to 100m, back light, alarms, tide graph, stopwatch and dual time. Gains one second every 5 days which is easy enough to keep track of. Has taken a few years of some tough punishment. Don't know how much it cost because I got it free with a magazine subscription. :cool: If I lose it, no big deal...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.