Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Hand held gps

My girlfriend is buying me a handheld gps for a belated birthday gift. Any recomendations? I participated in a race from Marblehead to Provincetown this summer, and the skipper had a Garvin, not sure what kind. But I like the feature that gave you corrections in degrees to get back on your set course.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Slayer, dude, long time no see! How'd you guys do in the race? Personally, I'd buy the one that the winning skipper used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-18-2009

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Good to see you smackdaddy. We placed fourth in our class. It was an overnight race with torrential rains and heavywind right on our nose for most of the race. And great advice about finding out which one the winner used. LOL
Old 11-18-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
We have a Garmin GPSMap 76cs+. It's a decent little unit with a lot of features including Blue Charts, color screen, barometer, compass, SD card capable, floating/waterproof, etc.

The screen resolution/color/brightness could be better, but for a reasonably priced handheld we're happy. We purchased a West Marine branded 76cs+ for $129.99 at West Marine just before the stopped making them. Garmin no longer makes the cs+, but has replaced it with the csx.

Old 11-18-2009

marujosortudo is on a distinguished road
I really like my eTrex Vista HCx. The screen is a bit small, but it's waterproof, BlueChart compatible, great for hiking, has an electronic compass built-in, and can track barometric pressure over time. Even pulls in a good signal in heavy forest (if you're a hiker, or having real sailing difficulty ). Seems rugged enough and easy to read outdoors. It doesn't float, though and likes fresh batteries. No tide tables either, which would be nice. It struck be as the best sailing/hiking combo back when I was shopping.

Garmin 76CSx looks pretty great for a primarily marine solution.

Last edited by marujosortudo; 11-18-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Have the Garmin 76CSx. Love it. Waterproof...floats. Perfect backup to the chartplotter. Plus I've loaded it up with both marine & land charts so its good on the water and off.

I like the new Garmin Oregon & Colorado, but in a marine environment...it needs to float and be a bit tougher than those other units can offer.
Old 11-18-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Plus I've loaded it up with both marine & land charts so its good on the water and off.
One word of caution for the CSx or just about any Garmin that's BlueChart capable: The charts are quite expensive if they don't come preloaded. For example, the BlueChart for Lake Michigan that I need for my CS+ cost about $125, or roughly the same amount I paid for the whole GPS unit.

Old 11-18-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Still using older Garmin 76Map... works fine, I expect the newer colour screens are easier to read.

Bluechart unlock codes are expensive.... you do get one region with the software purchase, but additionals can add up quickly.

Note: you can designate 2 units for your 'licence' so can load the charts twice without paying for the second unlock code.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-18-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by marujosortudo View Post
I really like my eTrex Vista HCx. The screen is a bit small, but it's waterproof, BlueChart compatible, great for hiking, has an electronic compass built-in, and can track barometric pressure over time. Even pulls in a good signal in heavy forest (if you're a hiker, or having real sailing difficulty ). Seems rugged enough and easy to read outdoors. It doesn't float, though and likes fresh batteries. No tide tables either, which would be nice. It struck be as the best sailing/hiking combo back when I was shopping.

Garmin 76CSx looks pretty great for a primarily marine solution.
i dont know if that was a positive review or a negative one

as for the gps get one that has charts and make sure its a new one with the most updated charts. it will be cheaper in the long run, at 150 bucks plus for electronic charts
Old 11-18-2009

captainmurph is on a distinguished road
I've had three Garmin Etrex units, the last two were Legends with full mapping capability. I've used them in the Caribbean for years and think they're the best investment you can make.

But, I'm not sure of the future of marine applications for handhelds that don't meet some of Garmins new hardware specs. The Bluecharts are going away and the replacments may not work with existing units.

Having said that, we should keep in mind that the accuracy of any GPS unit as to depicting hazards and features should be secondary to paper charts.

I'll continue to use my Blue Charts in the BVI and may even look for a used set to use on Lake Michigan next year.

Murph'