Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Yes another Free Boat thread.

Well I guess I screwed up the other day and my Thread didnt get posted.

So We will go at this backwards.

here ya go.

This thing appears to have a very high build quality...The hull is very fair and hard to detect much flaw. He has definitely paid attention to detail and is a meticulous type person... what little of the strip planking that was still visible was tight and well encapsulated with no signs of air pockets or poor saturation.

The Keel arrangement is unusual to say the least and IMHO will be the toughest part in finishing this design.
Those familiar with racing designs will notice this one has its own mid ship water tight compartment for the keel and its canting hydraulics ( which were not to be seen ) to sit in and does not share the common saloon interior..

This does split the ship in two separate sections..much like a few Bill Garden designed boats....but a definite plus for hull integrity if something were to go awry with the keel...The keel box could basically flood and not affect the safety of the ship from a sinking standpoint.

The sticks seem short for the boat being Keel stepped as they are barley longer then the hull itself and it might be beneficial to deck step them to gain some aspect ratio.

All and all this is one of the finest hulls and decks I have ever seen for a home built...although I did not venture into the craft without having permission and I could not peer into the main salon due to it being locked up.

The plumb bow and the hulls forward sections of entry look exceedingly fine and I wish my boat had it...The stern is canoe and plumb as well.

I tip my hat to this gentleman and what he has accomplished so far.

Whomever is chosen to receive this craft will be handed down some fine craftsmanship..but will also be handed down a boat load of unknowns to deal with as well.

My feeling is if this boat would have not had the complexity of the canting keel it would have been completed long ago..If it were not for that I believe one person could have a sail-a-ble boat within a year of steady work or 2000 man hours however you went about that...All guesses are off with the canting keel as I know little about them and I saw little of the mechanics on site to make it come together.

Attached Thumbnails
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...p;d=1258593758 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...p;d=1258593758

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...p;d=1258593758 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...p;d=1258593758

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...p;d=1258593758

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
44' Ketch

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 11-18-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Well I guess I screwed up the other day and my
The sticks seem short for the boat being Keel stepped as they are barley longer then the hull itself and it might be beneficial to deck step them to gain some aspect ratio.

These are freestanding masts. There is no rigging, so they can not be deck stepped.

They are not short for this type of rig either.
Old 11-18-2009
Handsome devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
These are freestanding masts. There is no rigging, so they can not be deck stepped.

They are not short for this type of rig either.
OH ya I forgot about that..thanks

Old 11-19-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I think your looking at 100k to finish as its pretty radical and a bit of and experment i can see some serious insurance issues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Red Herring was an extremely famous boat. This is not just some throw-away. She is a living piece of history. Wooden Boat did a great article on her some years back. She has a very good track record. I am not sure about the insurance issue, but a boat that is this well documented should not be that difficult to insure and would be a real kick to own.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 11-19-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I know nothing about her at all. Not much comes up on Google either.

Any info would be good to read.

http://mshipco.com/pdf/SailingWorld_CBTF_Sep2008.pdf

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-20-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Either cruisersforum has taken those pages down, or the links are fubar. They're not working today.

A canting keel is a nice concept, as long as you balance it against "critical high power moving parts extending below the waterline" and the extra ways that can break a boat.
Old 11-20-2009

marujosortudo is on a distinguished road
cruisersforum got hacked yesterday and is down right now.
Old 11-20-2009
Handsome devil

OK here are a couple pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Yes another Free Boat thread.-100_0259.jpg   Yes another Free Boat thread.-100_0281.jpg   Yes another Free Boat thread.-100_0280.jpg   Yes another Free Boat thread.-100_0267.jpg   Yes another Free Boat thread.-100_0277.jpg