Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Garffin UP DATE

Give him a fish he will eat for a day, show him how to fish with a sailboat and he will eat for a life time. Today Garffin caught a 22" Rock and we brought it over to a Trimarian that posted on sailnet a few weeks ago , they will be mooring for 6 months. Right now Garffin and them are neighbors ( Hope they enjoy there dinner). Anyways Garffin is now thinking about getting a slip for 6 months on the South River ( I might be paying him to much).

I tried to prove Gps is OK to Garrfin.
1. we could see we where are doing 3 knts. to cath fish
2. We where caught in a fog for three hours and Gps won over DR
3. Could check the Depts. to drop our lures.

He still Isn't sure ?

I forgot who whants to meet up in B-more but Pm Garffin We might.

Garffin will probable post tomorrow and it better have a picture of our Fish.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i posted for a meet up, either in fells point or canton. close enough for me to get there with out having a car.

i just pmed a phone number to you
Old 11-20-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
lapworth,
Congrats on that rockfish (we call 'em stripers up here or striped bass) but you boys are gonna do what you do.
South River? Watch out for Harness Creek; a great little gunk hole but a bit shallow but not for Dan's boat. A real nice spot too.
Best navi-guessing I ever have done was in the fog on the LI Sound using the GPS co-ordinates to figure out where the hell we were in the limited visibility by plotting those same co-ordinates on the chart. Once Dan sees that this can be done I bet he will gain a certain amount of confidence in that newfangled device. It will also come in quite handy and is easier then 'Dead Reckoning' and I will call it: 'Dumb Reckoning'.
'Dumb reckoning' helped me navigate from the Blue Water marina to the Wye River's mouth around Bloody Point in the dark with a mostly full moon. It is one way to get there.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2009
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
However a smart Captain of a boat or aircraft will never let his/her DR skills go rusty. One day that will be all you have. In this age of GPS we still teach compass, map and stopwatch.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
However a smart Captain of a boat or aircraft will never let his/her DR skills go rusty. One day that will be all you have. In this age of GPS we still teach compass, map and stopwatch.

Jerry
I've argued the same thing here before. GPS is a fix, that's it, and a fix is not navigation, in fact it has very little to do with navigation. If all we needed was a position fix then we wouldn't need Bowditch. People make huge navigation errors all the time knowing to within inches exactly where they are when they make them.

Please support my
Old 11-20-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
Today Garffin caught a 22" Rock....
Might need to budget for some dentures after eating that rock!