Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Would you like your in date flares replaced and the old ones taken away for disposal
yes 3 27.27%
no 6 54.55%
depends on cost 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
We contacted the Fire department and the Coast Guard and held a test-firing session at our club for out of date flares. The sailors were grateful for the experience of actually setting them off. The Coast Guard was grateful for the opportunity to provide a safety lesson and some PR, and the fire deparment was glad not to have to gather them up to dispose of them. Everyone liked it so much, we think we'll do it again next season.

P.S. Why is there a fine in Holland and France for carrying out of date flares? Why not just show them the current ones in that case? Would they fine you for non-solas approved lifejackets if you had enough approved ones? It doesn't make any sense.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2009

madman587587 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
I use the expired fuses to start campfires.
Best idea ever!
Old 11-25-2009
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
I tried to light a 15 yr old flare and the ignition button broke off of the end. Tried another old one , the same... Used a torch to get them started and found that they dripped a hot white molten liquid that solidified when it hit the driveway.
Also tried an old 12 gage, old 25 gage and new extended 12 gage red flares. I believed that the 25 gage would be the best by far... Results were surprising. The older 12 and 25 gage only stayed aloft about 3 seconds, not much height . Yes the 25 gage was brighter. The new 12 gage extended flare was twice the height at least and was as bright as the 25 gage flare...I was surprised by this.
Being in the USA, I'll keep the old flares on board but also realize that they may be less than desirable and may not even work. I will keep fresh flares on board to count on should I ever need assistance.
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 11-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, were these SOLAS or USCG approved flares. The SOLAS ones are required, by specification, not to drop slag, the USCG ones do not have that requirement AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roline View Post
I tried to light a 15 yr old flare and the ignition button broke off of the end. Tried another old one , the same... Used a torch to get them started and found that they dripped a hot white molten liquid that solidified when it hit the driveway.
Also tried an old 12 gage, old 25 gage and new extended 12 gage red flares. I believed that the 25 gage would be the best by far... Results were surprising. The older 12 and 25 gage only stayed aloft about 3 seconds, not much height . Yes the 25 gage was brighter. The new 12 gage extended flare was twice the height at least and was as bright as the 25 gage flare...I was surprised by this.
Being in the USA, I'll keep the old flares on board but also realize that they may be less than desirable and may not even work. I will keep fresh flares on board to count on should I ever need assistance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-25-2009

wookie is on a distinguished road
French are a law unto themselves any excuse to make a few bob. I think the reason given that the OOD flares are dangerous so classed as carrying hazardous waste without a licence. Soon all Goverments will catch, on you watch.
Old 11-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The French are also idiots... these are the same people who wanted to prevent certain computer related terms from becoming common usage in French... see article here. From the article...

Quote:
Before a word such as "cloud computing" or "podcasting" ("diffusion pour baladeur") receives a certified French equivalent, it needs to be approved by three organizations and get a government minister's seal of approval, according to rules laid out by the state's General Delegation for the French Language and the Languages of France. The process can be a linguistic odyssey taking years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie View Post
French are a law unto themselves any excuse to make a few bob. I think the reason given that the OOD flares are dangerous so classed as carrying hazardous waste without a licence. Soon all Goverments will catch, on you watch.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-24-2012

Shemlock is on a distinguished road
Re: Disposal of Flares

No way I'd pay!!!
Up here on the Merrimac river on the first Saturday in April on both sides, opposite the other, the Harbor Masters have a kind of war game to set those old 12 gauges to flying.Someone had a parachute type and it sailed clear over the river on to shore and they got a little nervous so they don't allow those types to fly anymore.
It is a lot of fun and it gives one a chance to experience how to use your flare gun.
Old 05-24-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road

I use the expired Orange Smoke ones to remind people not to park in my space. OK, maybe not, but I can dream.

Mike
Old 05-24-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Old thread, and one person WAS correct, in that I noticed recently, it is now a $1000 or some odd fine for carrying expired flares in/on your boat! NOt sure if it is the hazard-es part, or the fact you have expired flares......may need to look this up some. BUT, beware!

Marty
Old 05-25-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

" it is now a $1000 or some odd fine for carrying expired flares in/on your boat!"
Now Marty, unless the New World Order took over the world while I wasn't looking last night, there's no universal law, fine, or penalty about flares, food, sex, or sailing.

You might want to requalify that with the venue that has such a law, because in my home waters, it sure ain't so.

Unless, as I said, they slipped a revolution by me last night.