Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009

diogenes726 is on a distinguished road
St.Augustine to St. Simons

I am sailing my Tartan 27 from St, Augugustine, FL to St. Simons Island for Thanksgiving. Beach Marine in Jacksonville has been recommended as a mid-way anchorage. Does anyone have any practical experience to help?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2009

Undine is on a distinguished road
Beach Marine has a City Park next to the entrance. The Party Hearty crowd is thick in the summer. We ran aground (4' draft) dodging idiots and drunks in June. Stay to the right of the fairway and go slow. It should be cold enough to keep the party down but it is a holiday so who knows. Since you are in St. Aug. you are probably aware of our problem areas in that vicinity, the folks trying to get a good look at the Bridge of Lions ( stopped in the channel when the bridge was open) and the St. Aug Inlet ( missed a small buoy because a jet ski was tied to it).
Old 11-24-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
If you are sailing outside Beach Marine is a long way out of your way. You'd have to go up the St. John's River (not easy if the tide's ebbing) and then south on the ICW nearly to McCormick sp? Bridge. Actually it's now a highrise but don't know if it's the same name. That's a very long way out of your way. An easier stop might be the marina in Mayport if you want to stay in a marina. Beach marine does have a nice restaurant though. Also Beach marine is far from mid-way from St. Aug to St. Simons Is. It's only half a day up the ICW from St. Augustine.

If you're doing it on the ICW there's lots of anchorages. You don't need a marina. If you're sailing outside get a good jump on it and go into Fernandina Beach for your halfway destination. Good marina or moorings or anchor and lots of restaurants if you're hungry and don't cook much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vasco; 11-24-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
If your plan is to enter the inlet at the St. Johns for an overnight anchorage, then Beach Marine is way out of the way. I would suggest that you either choose the area south of the first green marker west of the ICW or proceed to the excellent anchorage to starboard just before Blount Island. If your travelling on the ICW, Pine Island is a great anchorage or north of the St Johns River you can anchor next to the Kingsley Plantation. Fernandina is a good stop from offshore or on the ICW if you're interested in restaurants and amenities. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 11-25-2009

Thanks for the advice. I want to go outside, so I'll try to make Fernandina my first stop.
Old 11-25-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
The closest place to anchor to the ocean at Mayport is Sister's Creek. S.C. is actually the ICW on the north side of the St. John's river.Just to the north of the drawbridge on the starboard side there is a spot across from the boatramp that is pretty well protected .
Old 11-25-2009

Second thoughts...

Perhaps the outside passage to Fernandina is too much. I have been advised the seas are 5-6 ft. with a Northwest wind at 15 knots. Is that going to be too rough? I really wanted to sail, not motor up the ICW.
Old 11-25-2009

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
diogenes,
That's pretty rowdy water on that point of sail. If you were heading for Miami for the holidays, then it might be big fun.

By the way, I'm heading south from Hilton Head Island to Jacksonville in a couple of weeks. If you decide to wait, let's try not to bump into each other.

Best of luck to you, Captain.
Old 12-16-2009

Pattyh is on a distinguished road
How did it go?

How did your trip go? Where did you stop? We are planning our first trip going the opposite way ( Brunswick to St. Augustine) this weekend.

Thanks,

Patty