Conjure;v. The "To Do" list, the "Want" list, the 700 miles from home port List .. - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009

Jasper Windvane is on a distinguished road
Conjure;v. The "To Do" list, the "Want" list, the 700 miles from home port List ..

Here is the scenario. She, a 32' sloop of mid 1970's vintage, on the
hard, 700 miles from home port. Although you have not stepped aboard,
you feel that she is the right boat. So far, her condition report is: solid hull- no blisters. Solid deck-no moisture. Good standing rigging-relatively new. Her sails are almost new. But, she has been sitting. Sitting is never a good sign when thinking about purchasing a sailboat. Her interior? A mess. No head. Salon cushions all worn out. Galley is dirty, needs fixing. Ice box needs attention. Old wiring, old interior lighting, she has the look of neglect below. Her engine is old but reliable, a diesel. The owner understands the situation, he has his hands full with personal obligations.
How would you proceed? Let's say you now have established a price for the boat, leaving you with a refit budget of $6,000 dollars. How would you spend the refit money? New running rigging? Hull paint-awlgrip? Deck refinish? Get the interior cleaned up and painted? Within the refit budget, you must purchase a tender/dinghy/inflatable. Any useful addons, or doo dads, you would purchase? Dodger? Bimini? Cushions?
Where would you seek reliable boat contractors? Who would you contact?
Marina's charge lots of money, and sometimes do not do a very proper job.
Would you look to the marina for help? Ask the surveyor? Contact West Marine store?
I'm sure some of you have purchased sailboats in far off ports. And I'm sure some of you have run up against obstacles, marina's that want your money for shabby work, people who looked at you as a victim, lack of support when getting your new/old boat ready for sailing, etc.. How did you deal with the
distance dilemma? Who was the most supportive? Who helped the most getting the right repairs, good people, to get your boat in sail away condition? Thanks for the input.. Not all of the above is necessarily applicable to the boat I am searching for, but in the last few days, I've conjured up a list of probable issues as I've looked at boats in far off ports.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2009

closehauled14 is on a distinguished road
Where is your home port, and is the 700 miles up a coast line or a blue water passage? Have you narowed down to a couple of boats? Maybe be more descriptive of witch boats have what problems? Do you plan om rowing the dinghy or do you require a small outboard? How about the ground tackle on these boats?
Old 11-24-2009

closehauled14 is on a distinguished road
Btw, always get a survey done before you purchase a boat. Those guys can find things a normal person wouldn't regardless of miles under the keel.
Old 11-24-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Jasper, you a carpenter? You're gonna have to build the head, it's bulkheads etc.. It's tougher with a glass boat because the bulkheads are mfg during the layup process. Not saying it can't be done but there are a LOT of old boats out there for sale...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're thinking of contacting a WestMarine store for advice on buying a boat, you need to have your head examined. In many of the stores, at least recently, you'll be lucky to find anyone that knows anything about boating at all, and no one knowledgeable enough to be worth seeking advice from.

If you haven't bought the boat, I would recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether this boat is worth looking at further, but it would require a trip to see the boat.

Seeing the boat will also give you a much better idea of what is involved in some of the work you're talking about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-25-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If you're thinking of contacting a WestMarine store for advice on buying a boat, you need to have your head examined.
You're way off here. I've been to WM. They have sailboats right in the store, rigged and ready to go and presumably cross the Pacific.

Also they often have folding bicycles.
Old 11-25-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough

Step 1 Get someplace to work thats cheep like your driveway

Congrats you just spent 2500 dollars

Step 2 Remove motor and fix or replace with seacocks ,wire ect so it runs 100% correctly

Step 3 Fix rusty steel mast step beam (at least on a CAL )

Your 6000 grand will allready be LONG gone if you cant do this 100% DIY

Step 4 spend 1000 dollars on running rigging EASY

Step 5 go sailing and hope you like boat

Step 6 Fix more stuff every winter

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-25-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Been There, Done That

Jasper,
We bought our boat in Antigua and sailed home to the Chesapeake but except for distance and boat size what you're talking about was what we went through.
We did just what you've been advised to do (except for the Boat Inspection Trip Tips which didn't exist then. My wife and I flew down to the island -- made it a little vacation and saw the boat. As with your boat, she had been sitting but was cleaner than we expected. Standing rigging was in good shape and the sails were relatively new. To us she was beautiful and just what we were looking for. I made a complete listing of everything on the boat, its condition adn what we would need to fix or replace. The we-iring was strange and not to code, the sinks were pitted. The pressure water system (surprise surprise) actually worked but all the plumbing woyuld have to be replaced. The head would have to be replaced. The cushions would have to bre replaced and wopuld the dodger and bimini but no immediately. Winches were undersized..etc.
We had the boat surveyed can't overstate how important it is to do this. We used a local surveyor Nik Bohachevski who di a really thorough job (would have to pull papers out of our files to see what it cost ) and found the boat sound except that the engine couldn't be started. Contacted the owner and he agreed to have the engine fixed and the steering cable replaced (recommendation from the survey). FYI this is a Volvo diesel and it takes forever (in this case 5 months) to get parts from Volvo. I fixed the engine myself and did the simple things like putting on new zincs, greasing the thru-hull seacocks replacing light bulbs. I bought new batteries, just for the trip and a cheap wter filter so we could at least drink the water from the tanks. . HAd the boat dropped int he water and had a sea trial. That was interesting cause the owner was in Britain so we had to get a proxy. Also getting the boat transferred from British to American ownership was a trip. Actually I paid a firm that specializes in that sort of thing to do it. I'm not real good at that kind of paperwork.
Getting the boat home was took nearly a month and we did it in stages. I have offshore experience and I had a lot of volunteers to sail her back. Basically four of us all with offshore experience and a few with ocean racing experience sailed the boat back with different people for each stage. We rode the stream most of the way up, a bit rough at times but the extra SOG was worth it. We also proved that Enchantress was a very good sea boat.
QWe were lucky in a number of respects. Except for the engine everything was in good shape and with a manual I can build or rebuild and engine from the ground up. The marina was more than helpful in everything (think it was Jolley Harbor) I think they wanted the boat out of there and were really happy we would oblige. I made three trips down to the boat one for the inspection/survey, one to fix the engine and the last to take her home.
Anyway this is probably far more than you want to know but buying a boat that's far away is possible and for us meant a boat we really loved at a price would could afford and have money left over for the inevitable projects.
Don't know where you are and you boat is so don't know what it would take to get it back. Might be worth it to have it put on a truck and delivered on land.
Good luck with your boat and I hope it all works out.

Azi

Last edited by bloodhunter; 11-25-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-25-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Jasper,
An addendum. I was able to wait until I got home to do most of the work.
I left out that the boat came with a Switlik 6-man life raft which I had refurbished before I left -- that cost me a lot I think about $600 but I'd have to look it up in my files.
As has been pointed out if you can't do a lot of the work yourself, it's gonna cost you far more than $6k. I did projects from December to April and sailed the rest of the year. I still have more projects this winter.
Again good luck.