Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
You didn't mention the need to make a living, other than your wife working, is employment for you a concern at all?
I would recommend the Bellingham/Skagit County area of WA state. I think it meets all of your requirements and you have access to great sailing areas in both WA and BC. Bellingham is a college town, prob. 30-50,000 (maybe more) and further south you have Mt. Vernon and Anacortes. Great place to live and sail year round.
Good luck.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Eastern shore of the Chesapeake. Many places to explore on week long or weekend trips. You can keep your boat on the Cheasapake for years and never visit the same creek twice if you dont want to. Neat older towns Established as the country was born with lots of history. Cost of livig on Eastern shore may fit your bill of 120,000.

2 days to Cape May and the Atlantic. We travel this every year in the summer and take a few weekes in New England. Last year we did Northport, Mystic and Block Island. This years we are headed to Marthas Vineyard Cuttyhunk and Newport. So there is ocean sailing nearby

4 seasons. Mountains are 2 hours away by car as is the ocean. Great museums and cities within 2/2 hours, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York. Washington DC and the many museums.

NO HURRICANES like North Carolina usually, although I like NC.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-26-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2009

MatthewM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
You didn't mention the need to make a living, other than your wife working, is employment for you a concern at all?
I am a little worried about finding employment for myself. But I have experience in many fields and am flexible in what I would be doing, so I think it will be easier for me to find work than my wife. Also, I have experience building, and although I am looking to do something else, that is usually a field a person can find work in.

And thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I am looking into them all.

Closehauled, you have done a great job selling me on Southport. I need to share all this with my wife and I might have more questions.

Matthew
Old 11-27-2009

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
You could find everything you wanted in Florida except the 4 seasons and Florida is a hot-bed of sailing activity. I've often thought that if I moved anywhere it'd be N Carolina or maybe the Georiga coast.

Gardens grow great here, too.

DB
Old 11-27-2009
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
Pensacola or Fort Walton, Florida. No state income tax, too.
Old 11-27-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I have lived in Del,Texas,SC,TENN and NY and in my IMHP the cost of life is pretty much tied to the ease of making a living

When my parents passed away a while back i had inherited a really nice NEW home in Rehoboth Beach Delaware (i am a native) and theirs No way i could have earned a living there that would have allowed me to put my children through collage LOW tax or not

And depending on were you go there is a BIG outsider issue

There is also a pretty big spread in public school quality as my daughter lived with some host family's for 3 years during high school while she was in a ballet company and it was what it was even just 4 years ago

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 11-27-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2009

marujosortudo is on a distinguished road
The coast of Maine meets all of your requirements with aplomb, and has incredible sailing to boot. I won't try hard to sell you though, too many folks are already onto our "secret"

Old 11-27-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
Research

If you are thinking of getting a job in home construction in the lower 48, please re-think, unless you have a connection you haven't mentioned. Oil-rich Alaska has not been hit by the recession as hard as the rest of us, even though your budget surplus checks may have been curtailed up there. Around here, housing starts are 'way off, and existing houses take months to sell. People are not building. The builders can't get financing, and neither can many potential buyers. If she can find one, your wife's teaching job will likely be providing you with health insurance. In our town and in others near here, teachers have accepted contracts with no raises for next year. The school district I work in, with about 250 teachers, had NONE retire last year, so there were no openings or new hires this year. As a teacher, I would suggest the first thing you might want to do is research what states accept your wife's certification credentials without her having to take additional classes or coursework. You might also want to research teacher pay levels in the various places you're considering. Finding out the the Bond Ratings of the different towns or school districts is also a good idea - you don't want to move to a job in a town that has trouble paying their teachers, or squabbles over every dime in the education budget. You don't want to be on the wrong side of a last-hired/first-fired school district policy in such a town. Others have mentioned the tax rates in their areas.
What about transportation costs? Is there public transportation? Probably not much in places that offer 5 acre spreads. Would you need two cars instead of one, then? That might offset the benefit of higher salaries. There are a lot of variables involved in your move. Giving yourself until April doesn't leave a lot of time to find out what they all are and weigh them in. Guess you'll have to get to work! Good luck!
Old 11-28-2009

MatthewM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
If you are thinking of getting a job in home construction in the lower 48, please re-think, unless you have a connection you haven't mentioned.
As i said, building would be a last resort. Also, I wasn't specifically talking about home construction. And although new home construction is down, some companies are starting to build again, as well as an increase in government projects. But I am hoping to get out of building anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Oil-rich Alaska has not been hit by the recession as hard as the rest of us, even though your budget surplus checks may have been curtailed up there.
I really wish this was true. If it were, my wife would not have been laid off. Tourism makes up a large percent of the economy, and companies were happy if they were at 60% of last summers numbers. So we do understand the implications of the current economy and what it means to our search for a new home.

Your points about teaching definitely hit home. My wife found herself in the last hired/ fist fired situation. The is exactly why her finding employment initially is more important than mine.

Thanks for all your other advice, we do have lots of work to do. Hoping for more suggestions from everyone, and I will try to keep everyone updated along the way.

Matthew
Old 11-28-2009

Illbedog is on a distinguished road
Look into the area around Temecula, CA, its beautiful, not too far east of the coast in Southern CA (about a 45 min drive to the ocean, San Diego about an hour). The area is great for hiking (San Jacinto Mts close by), at least 2 lakes for sailing and an abundance of local wineries.The city of Temecula has had a population boom in the last 10 yrs, so there should be great opportunity for teachers. I live in Palm Springs, Ca and it takes me about an hour to get there, driving there I have noticed just outside the city an abundance of secluded land for sale at pretty affordable prices. It might be worth looking into........Good luck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.