Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
After having spent a lot of time out in the pacific North West I would have to say Puget Sound and all the way up to the northern part of AK has to be some of the most beautiful coastal waters in the US. Port townsound is awesome. You have to get a wooden boat though if you’re going to live and sail out of there. I think they shoot people if you have anything other than wood just kidden. Yeah I would say the Puget Sound area. You have everything you could ever want out there. My first whale, fist close call with a sub. My first salmon my first day at the wheel of a fishing boat was all there. The San Juan Island are just the best and if you do make it there you have to stop in at Friday harbor and drink a Guinness Go west young man or stay west young man, stay west.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post
Hello Folks,

-Ability to live outside a town or city of more than 10,000, less than 20 minutes away, and rent or buy a small house with at least 2 acres for less than 120,000.

Matthew
I imagine you can find a lot of places in the country where you could rent a house on two acres for 120k.

I have read a lot of the responses as i hope to be in a position to move soon, when the economy turns around. Is there really a place where you can sail, find employment and get a home for less than a quarter million?

I am not sure of the rest of the country but here in the Rocky Mtn region home building is non existent, the talk in the hardware stores is about lucky to be employed at anything.

FYI
Puget Sound
Carolinas
Portland OR

are on the wish list if I could find employment there.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2009

marujosortudo is on a distinguished road
You can live very affordably in Downeast Maine and the sailing is INCREDIBLE. Plenty of homes with land under $120 (fixer uppers mostly, but not all). That said, the sailing season is short and also occurs during the time when it's easiest to find work. It is also much easier to find work here than it is to find jobs, if you get my meaning. Lots of folks here are self-employed and resourceful and get income from a variety of sources. The economy here is always a bit on the slow side even in high times. You'll never get rich living here (that's why land/homes are still inexpensive), but it is a wonderful place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2010

MatthewM is on a distinguished road
Update

Well, I thought I would give an update for all of you that have been sitting on the edge of your seats.

After a lot of research, we have narrowed where we will move to down to the Puget Sound area, and the Maine coast. Our first choice is Port Townsend and the surrounding area. Now it will come down to where we can find work, most importantly where my wife can find a teaching job.

If any of you are principals looking for an excellent elementary teacher, get in touch.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I will update this thread as things fall into, or out of, place.

Take care,

Matthew
Old 01-05-2010

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Not that this should be a deciding factor, but since you mentioned climbing I would point out that the Maine Coast (and points farther south) will give you access to great waterfall ice (New England probably having the best variety in the lower 48) and very good rock climbing in the spring/summer/fall.

Puget Sound area will provide limited waterfall ice (but you can go to Canada) and excellent mountaineering and rock.

Being a climber and a sailor, I'd have a hard time picking between them. I live outside of NYC, but before the kids arrived the wife and I did a lot of climbing in the Northeast. I also do a lot of work in the Seattle area and have climbed out there a fair bit. Either way, it's all good.
Old 01-06-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, it sounds like you've narrowed it down to two very good options. I've only visited PT once, but I liked everything I saw out there. I also like Maine, but I think the climate would be much colder then coastal Washington/PT.

I think you need to ask yourself, "How much do I like winter?"

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-06-2010

mobilchuckje is on a distinguished road
We're basking in the PT winter right now. High temp for the month (January) already 54F. Yesterday I was working on the boat in my yard (sure-fire PT indicator species) and peered out from under shrinkwrap to see Whistler and the mts. above Vancouver lit up like pink cotton candy. 100 miles away, straight up Rosario Straight, they looked like they were just across the road.

I will say that all my teacher friends here have trouble finding permanent positions and those that do covet them greatly.

Have you come for a visit yet?

You'll love it,
chuck.
Old 01-06-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"-Ability to live outside a town or city of more than 10,000, less than 20 minutes away, and rent or buy a small house with at least 2 acres for less than 120,000." And be within an hour of salt water?

I'd be shocked to find those criteria can be met. A condo on Florida's Gold Coast for half of that, but someone please, tell me where you can find two acres within an hour of salt water for $120k, with or without a cabin on it.

Of course Florida is out of the question for school teachers, they've been laying them off in mobs and that entire line would have seniority over your wife.
Old 01-06-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
but someone please, tell me where you can find two acres within an hour of salt water for $120k,
Definitely Eastern Shore Maryland, not to mention Eastern Shore Virginia. If all you need is cheap and close to water, there you go.

Not much climbing, except maybe a few water towers and a landfill.
Old 01-07-2010

marujosortudo is on a distinguished road
Hellosailor, let me shock you. Meeting these criteria is possible where I live, but just barely. Further south on the coast of Maine land prices go up, and north town sizes go down. Even here, most homes in that range would be mobiles or small cabins. Of course, jobs are very hard to find here, even in the best of times. Odd jobs are easier to find and you can piece together a living from a mixture of income sources if you're clever and motivated. So, it is doable, but not neccessarily easy.