Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009

ebreeden is on a distinguished road
Question Beneteau First 42 - German Frers design

I am in the hunt for this boat. Are there any published reviews on it out there. All I'm able to google is a reference to a Yachting World October 1982 article that I've not been able to find. I appreciate any opinions or leads-
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2009

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Beneteau First 42 Reviews

I found 42s7 and 423 reviews at Cruising World, but so far as I can tell neither was a Frers design.

I had a bit more luck at SailboatOwners.com - There are three owner reviews of '80s boats that appear to be a G.Frers design. As with all owner reviews, they are biased and far from complete. However, they're better than nothing.

Regards,

DaCAP
Pasadena, MD
Old 11-27-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
This couple:

Liza & Andy Copeland - Cruising Authors

did a multi year circumnavigation with their then-young children on a Frers designed Bene 38 - she's written a couple of books, in which there is a bit of discussion on what they did with their boat to prepare it. They survived a severe lightning strike off the African coast, among other adventures. There would be many similarities between their boat and the one you're looking at. I know they did do some modifications for the cruise.

I suspect that if you contact Andy he'd be happy to share his thoughts.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 11-27-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2009
"Nevis Nice"

hphoen is on a distinguished road
Here's a link to check out...

Ocean Angel
Old 11-27-2009

Thank you all. I started months ago looking to replace my Pearson 10M. In order, the "evolution" has gone from Cal 40 (classic, but not much more volume and most are projects), to Pearson 40 (not many out there and leaking toe rails seem common), PJ New York 40 (beautiful, but tight below for family of 6), C&C 40 & 41(Perhaps a bit too light and cored hulls), and now the First 42. All I read impresses me. Should anyone want review articles, I've collected several now.
reza likes this.
Old 11-28-2009
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
You might try the same search on Yahoo.com or Bing.com. Don't assume Google links you to everything.
Old 11-29-2009

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebreeden View Post
I am in the hunt for this boat. Are there any published reviews on it out there. All I'm able to google is a reference to a Yachting World October 1982 article that I've not been able to find. I appreciate any opinions or leads-
This is a great boat. I have raced and cruised on it. Fast and well-built. Much better build quality than on the Beneteau cruisers. Look for one with a lead keel. Only criticism is that the aft cabin is a bit small for two. Otherwise, two thumbs up.
Old 11-29-2009

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
I've done a couple of Macs on a Frers Beneteau 42. They sail like a freight train upwind in a blow. Not too bad upwind in light air/flat water. They don't perform that well while reaching which befits their IOR design pedigree. The interior is well laid out and nicely finished. Now the bad news. These boats are highly loaded with a large rig. Sail handling especially with the genoa is a pain. You need a very large roller furling unit or it will be overpowered. The toe rail is aluminum and quite high which is good for safety just don't plan on sitting there for more than about 5 minutes as your legs go numb. The hull is all glass which is nice but it flexes unbelievably in a seaway. I can remember laying diagonally in the forward cabin resting my head agaisnt the hull. The boat turned upwind after a mark and the subsequent flexing of the hull as we pounded upwind was downright scary. I never would have guessed that.

Bottom line is that boat fitted out properly might make a nice cruiser. Be sure to get the lead keel model. Depth could be an issue as these boats draw over 7 feet. Fit out with proper roller furling, a 135% genoa, battcars to tame the main a little, and you should be could to go. My personal choice would be to look into stiffening the larger panels forward but that's just me.

BTW- The B42 is absolutely a beautiful hull design. I saw one that had the cabintop decals removed and the topsides painted. It looked spectacular.
Old 05-08-2010
Custom User Title

Heinous is on a distinguished road
Did you get the 42, ebreeden? I'd be interested to see those articles you found.
Old 05-10-2010

Yes. Awesome!! Maidened yesterday in 30 kts. Sent PM. What a boat! All the good press is justified.