Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Holy crap Oma, you've done some serious sailing, man! (though I always suspected that).

Do you have a blog, etc. on these trips? The delivery trip sounds incredible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2009

mintcakekeith is on a distinguished road
not a good idea with a new boat,you need at least a seasons sailing to sort out all the problems that will arise,personally I would go via Capetown but probably uninsurable that way.keith
Old 12-02-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Do you have a blog, etc. on these trips? The delivery trip sounds incredible.
Sorry Smack I don't have the time to keep with this forum let alone run a blog

But I did report on the trip from the US to NZ way back in 2007, FWIW if you looked for it amongst my posts you'd probably find it.

Sorry Dean, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 12-02-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I'm on it Oma.

Now what could possibly be keeping you too busy to waste time here?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-03-2009

deandavis1 is on a distinguished road
I've said it before and I'll say it again... thanks everyone. The trip can extend either way (ie start a month earlier and finish a couple of months later) if we are in the ball park.

Comments about Hurricane seasons are a major concern. I did a little bit of googling and thought i was on the cusp in each sea/ocean. Does anyone recommend a good all in one site to review timing of these? I will look further at Virtual Passage (thanks for the tip), and have been working my way through noonsite and plan to buy Jimmy Cornell's books.

In regards to storm window protection I had not thought or heard of this... any suggestions? I will also talk to the vendor about it.

As for self-steering... I am not sure yet but it will be a combination of autopilot, radar and GPS. I have done a couple of sails in Bass Stait and up and down the East Coast of Australia to know how important this is (and have had the autopilot die on me).

I have some flexibility with the duration but all in all early year departure and back in Sydney for Summer is what I'm aiming for.

I also hope to save some money by sailing it as it is about 30-50k AUD for delivery, but also want the experience. Timing is never good just to pick up and leave but i feel its now or never.

I was also considering taking my dog with me (a French Mastiff) but after reading many other posts think this is a bad idea.

Glad to hear the other way around has no support (thank Omatako).

I will ask Jeanneau about the affect on warranty but suspect the boat is built and sold for bluewater sailing so it should be fine. I am more worried about warranty support during the trip as I may not be near their network.
Old 12-03-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandavis1 View Post
Glad to hear the other way around has no support (thank Omatako)
But there IS support in the middle of the Pacific or Atlantic?

Who is going to insure you? You realize that if you finance the boat you will be required to carry hull insurance; and insurance is difficult to get if you are going beyond ~50 miles offshore. My first insurance policy only allowed me to sail within 20 NM of the enterance to San Francisco Bay (but the funny thing is the SF Bar is the worst area for rough seas).

If you are wealthy enough to pay cash for a brand new 45' boat; then delivery should not be a problem. In addition you should consider the cost of wear/tear on a boat sailing it over 1/2 the distance of the globe. The maintenance due to wear could easily equal the delivery cost.

In addition to all of this you should consider your personal experience; and the ability of even a newly constructed boat to sail non-stop 13000 miles. There are always problems with a boat's various systems; new or old. Brand new boats generally take at least a year of use before all of the bugs are worked out (but I don't know personally as I have never bought a new boat).

A Jenneau 45 is probably a well constructed boat and I'm sure that it would be fine in offshore sailing conditions; but I don't know if I would consider it a boat that is specifically designed for sailing across oceans. I'm sure it can be done; but I'm not sure I would choose a Jenneau for this task. People sail mass production boats like Hunters, Catalinas, Beneteau, etc on long offshore passages regularly; but there are also several known failures of new boats on passage due to problems like rudder posts snapping off (not built heavily enough).
Old 12-03-2009

again I recognise your points. The question of being able to afford a new 45DS has a lot of variables that is a little off topic but I would say that delivery is still a huge cost to Australia. However this is less about cost and more about value and experience with ticks in a few other boxes.
Old 12-03-2009

another question. what would be the normal number and type of sails to carry on such a trip. Obviously the boat will come with a standard head and main, but what would most of you take with you?

I guess also what other spares would you take?

Cheers
Old 12-03-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well we just race local BUT carry storm jib and depending on the race a mainsail with 3 reef points and sometimes thats to much sail

On a trip like this you pretty much need everything made in terms of saftey equmient

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 12-03-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Why not start later in the year? Catch the sailing season around Nov., and work your way home with favorable weather the whole way? I am wondering about your questions of sails? Just what experience do you have? To plan for a trip like you suggest. You should already know the sailing seasons, and sails needed?.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!