Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandavis1 View Post
...In regards to storm window protection I had not thought or heard of this... any suggestions? I will also talk to the vendor about it.

As for self-steering... I am not sure yet but it will be a combination of autopilot, radar and GPS. I have done a couple of sails in Bass Stait and up and down the East Coast of Australia to know how important this is (and have had the autopilot die on me)...
Dean,

The "Deck Salon" is a popular design feature that really creates a lot of light and openness below decks in the main salon. But it comes with a price: Those giant windows are a potential liability in storm conditions off-shore.

Personally, I would not choose a design like this for extensive off-shore sailing, but that's your call. Regardless, you need to have a plan to address the possibility that you could have a large hole in the mid-deck of your boat during bad conditions, or to prevent that from happening in the first place (hence the storm shutters).

On the autopilot, you might be wise to have completely redundant systems installed, especially if you will be shorthanded during some of the longer passages. I'm not sure how easy it would be to install a windvane on this design, but you might consider one instead. 13000 miles is a long way to count on a single electronic autopilot.

Sail inventory: You'll want a full complement of sails. Probably 2-3 minimum of working headsails of different sizes and construction weight. A reefable, cruising weight mainsail. Storm sails (storm jib, storm trysail) and any necessary hardware to fly them. Spinnakers for light air, with a pole and associated hardware/control lines. Others?

You'll also want drogues and sea anchors, but that's a subject for another thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 12-03-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added italics
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Dean, you've received some pointed cautionary advice, and as this thread progresses I (and others, apparently) have to wonder whether you have the experience and knowledge to undertake this extensive voyage as you are planning to do it.

All the cautions made to this point are valid... I'd urge you to take them very seriously, esp those from the folks that have 'been there done that'.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-03-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Firstly insurance: If you can't get decent insurance anywhere else, let me know - I got my boat covered for the blue water trip at a rate only marginally more than my domestic sailing rates. And the insurance is fully underwritten by Lloyds.

Secondly sails - I did the trip with a main and head sail and a spare headsail. Stupidly, I never had any storm sails (never had time to organise any, another reason not to have a tight schedule) and would strongly recommend at least a storm jib. Also give some consideration to how you will fly it without any major effort. Stuff that takes major effort always ends up being left until it's too late

Thirdly weather windows - don't pay lip service to this, this is a very important aspect and good weather routing is essential to your safety.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 12-03-2009

bb74 is on a distinguished road
What I would recommend (not knowing hte details) is pick up the boat in March - do the shakedown for 6 months in the Med and Atlantic (maybe a crossing) - ley her up for repairs, and get it shipped the rest of the way. In one month you're going to be wasting you time in the Med - you really need 3-4 months minimum to even begin to see the sights and destinations. The schedule is not +/- a month - try +/- 3-6 months minimum. Fatigue, injuries, mechanical problems, etc, are going to happen and unless you're a Vendée Globe class sailor, I don't see how it's remotely reasonable to set-up such a schedule.

I fail to see the logic on the shipping costs as with the $ where it is vs. the €, you'd be better off financially to rent in Europe, fly to the US, buy and have the boat shipped. Check the US prices - most of the boats are quoted nearly the same number value in USD (for the US) as EUR for Europe.
Old 12-03-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Those giant windows are a potential liability in storm conditions off-shore.
That's in addition to the windows that are in the sidewall of the hull. I can't see how you would trust those not to leak or get damaged in some way while on an ocean crossing.

Somehow I don't know if you would get the best deal on a boat directly from the MFR. One reason is that US markets are slow now so they will want to be making up for lost revenue. You might consider buying on the west coast of US; you could probably find either a new one for rock bottom price or a "repo" given the economic climate.

Also, Beneteau MFR's boats in the US (forget where) but delivery to the US west coast would be much cheaper than from France.
Old 12-03-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
A "NUMBER" of the Jeanneaus that are in the 40+ foot range have done ocean crossings. The local Jeanneau dealership owner took his family from Seattle to Oz and back over 2 yrs in a SO49iP. I personally am not to sure I would want a deck salon for ocean going, BUT, as I recal Oyster is designing some, so it must not be a REALLY bad idea!

The 49iP is for sale in Seattle, ready to go. Granted it is not a deck salon, but it is ready. As also mentioned, the World Arc, had more Jeanneaus than any other brand. IIRC mostly 49i's.

If you want to know how a DS will do offshore etc, Try to get ahold of zanshin on this site, or go the www.jeanneau-owners.com and find the forum and see if you can find him there too. There are a number of others that have ocean experience with Jeanneau's.

Also, look up the world Arc route and see when they went and where. as that was planned over 15 months or so, to miss most of the heavy wind time frames, ie hurricanes etc.

Marty
Old 12-13-2009

deandavis1 is on a distinguished road
Thank you everyone for your wealth of advice and suggestions. I have been doing a lot planning based on this would like to solicit feedback on the following revised plan (TIMING AND LOCATION ONLY).

I know there are a lot of other issues besides timing mentioned above and that has not gone unnoticed, but to focus on the feasibility of the schedule please let me know what you think of my following logic...

Sep 2010 - Yacht delivery in France (Antibites) Aprox 2 weeks+ prep etc.

Sep - Nov 2010 - (2 months) exploring around the Mediterranean. I believe this is Autumn and the best time to go.

Late Nov 2010 - Sail the Atlantic (14-21 days) I got this from the Arc Rally.

Dec 2010 - Jan 2011 - (2 months) Sail around the Caribbean (seems the right time to go according to Noonsite).

Feb 2011 - July 2011 (6 Months) Following the approximate route and time of previous World Arc Panama to Australia.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-13-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Much more realistic.

However I do wonder where in the Med you plan to leave from in November. There is a good chance of poor weather between the western Med and Gran Canaria in November. That trip can be a bit of a slog.
Old 12-13-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Much more realistic.

However I do wonder where in the Med you plan to leave from in November. There is a good chance of poor weather between the western Med and Gran Canaria in November. That trip can be a bit of a slog.
Agreed. That is a more realistic schedule, if still a bit hurried. You could easily spend much more time exploring the Med and Carib. Also, it doesn't allow a lot of time for shakedown of the new boat.

As for the Med portion, you probably will want to confine your ambitions to the Western Med. You could make a hop across to Corsica from the Riviera (but make sure you have a good weather window), then down the west coast of Corsica to Bonifacio. From there, time dependent, you could see a bit of Sardinia or head west to the Balearic Islands (but winds will likely be contrary). Then to Gibraltar via coastal Spain.

I would think you'd want to be in Gran Canary a week or two ahead of the ARC fleet. And try to leave a few days ahead of them so that there are plenty of boats out there with you during the crossing. Or why not just join the ARC?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 12-13-2009

deandavis1 is on a distinguished road
I might join the Arc. Although I had a look at some of the youtube videos and there is something in my mind saying that having soooo many boats around me kind of defeats the purpose of being out there.

I could not find much in formation on sailing routes in the Med other that 7-14 day charter company sites. I could spend more time there (which would also allow more "boat shake down") by arriving at the end of Summer (August).

I would be interested to hear of any routes/duration in both The Med and Caribbean.

Point noted re weather window to get to Gran Canary. Given that it will be the start of Winter in the Med I might want to leave earlier anyway... thanks.

Last edited by deandavis1; 12-13-2009 at 04:23 PM.