Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
The downside to inflateables is that they use CO2 for auto inflatation. This can flash freeze the cloth adjacent to the inlet port of the inflatable bladder. I used to inspect liferafts and we had many customers that would autoinflate their rafts prior to bringing them in for a repack and new cylinder. The freezing causes the impermeable backing on the cloth to begin delaminating.[why accounts of time spent in the rafts include so many stories of them leaking] I would not want to spend any amount of time depending on this method of floatation. I wear the West sport vest that several others have mentioned after having spent only 16 hours adrift in the aftermath of flipping a 32' catamaran off the coast of Florida. I was glad to have the positive, long-term floatation of closed cell foam then. There are also several good vests manufactured for the whitewater industry that are comfortable and suitable for use on a sailboat as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2009

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
White water vest

Being dragged backwards by a kayac vest will probably save you from drowning. If you don't have a spray hood on a normal vest you probably will drown. Also you should have crotch strap to prevent vest being pulled too high on your body.
Old 12-04-2009
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
The problem with the Cabelas jacket is that it does not offer any head/neck support. If you crack your melon going over the side, you'll drown while you're unconscious. Your body will float so that it can be recovered for the funeral, however.

David, I don't think you're irrational for choosing a non-inflatable PFD. I have no advice for the product you're looking for though. You might consider mailing letters to the big manufacturers, telling them what you'd like in a product. You can point back to this website to show them that others would like it as well.
Old 12-04-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I understand the OP is looking for non-inflatable PFD's but the reason most people don't wear PFD's is that they are either uncomfortable, hot, restrict what you can do, a harness won't fit over them, or they look dorky (technical term ). I didn't wear one (unless conditions warranted) until we bought Mustang auto-inflate w/harness. Now I wear it whenever on deck and when leaving/arriving at the dock. Unless the PFD that you choose all but disappears while you have it on most people find an excuse to take it off, and then doesn't do much good. Just my two cents...

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-04-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
David...

I also wear a non-inflatable PFD, although I don't wear it as religiously as you do. Also, unlike you, I have managed to resist all temptation to spend boat bucks on one of the inflatable jobs.

I normally only wear the PFD if the weather gets snotty, which usually means I'm going to get wet. The vest helps keep me drier and warm.

Paul
Old 12-04-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
How about taking a jacket like this and changing the harness:
Kokatat Watersports Wear - ProFIT Tour
You would need to make sure that there are adequate provisions to keep the belt from riding up but at least on the one that I have(it is an astral but that wouldn't work as well for sailing), it is well sewn in in several places. You would probably also want to replace the quick release with something that you could clip your safety tether into but that would not be hard. I have rappelled off my jacket twice and it always did quite well. The only problem with this setup is that it won't keep your head up if you are unconscious. At that point though, most people would just be willing to accept it as an inherent risk to the sport.
Old 12-04-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
You might also want to check out some PFDs that are used in the white water industry. I know my PFD that I use is awesome. This one is almost like the one I have. Believe it or not but ww kayaking is extremely physical. The one greet thing I like about it is the fact that there is a strap that goes around through the PFD with a metal ring on the back for hooking up to help tow people or boats that you can just pull a cord to release if needed. Thinking that it might come in handed if I use it to tie off to cloud my sailboat.

Type V PFD. With 22 lbs of flotation, adjustability to fit chest sizes from 30 to 58 inches, and all the features you will ever need in a rescue vest the NRS Rapid Rescuer can handle any situation.

With box-stitched stress points and a 500-denier Cordura® shell, the NRS Rapid Rescuer is tough enough to handle any situation.

Two huge front pockets stretch to hold anything from a GPS to a VHF. Quick release buckles with adjustable nylon webbing secure the pockets shut.
Three lash tabs on the front are great for a knife, whistle or anything else you need to keep handy.
A D-ring, strobe holder, and tether attachment round out the attachment points on the front with a safety light stick holder on the back and reflective tape everywhere.
Universal Plus sizing will fit chest sizes between 30 and 58 inches, with 8 adjustment points to ensure a secure fit.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-04-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
How about this one from Cabelas?
No harness??
Old 12-04-2009

I have used my pfd to repel down on a few occasions. Some of the creeks in western North Carolina are very steep and getting to them is sometimes have the fun. Yes my PFD is rated so as you can pull me out of a rapid, from out of a undercut rock, from being trapped under a fallen tree or just pull me up! So it is a harness of sorts. I wish I had a pic of it. Its funny I didn’t even bring it with me on my trip from RI to Md. When I go home this Jan I will get it and use it on board. Dan

Yes this me hand paddling with my ole micro 240 in the winter with a rescue pfd on [/IMG]
Old 12-04-2009

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.