Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
And all of this because one guy asked what books he can use during the USCG exam.

You can only apply for a towing endorsement if you have a years time on tugs.

Also note: The USCG are coming out with more Regs of education needed before you can apply for a license... So if you can, apply for one now and acquire one before those regs go into effect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Bosan, They are referring to "Assistance Towing Endorsement" Like you would use to work for sea tow or tow boat us.

10.482 Assistance towing.
(a) This section contains the requirements
to qualify for an endorsement
authorizing an applicant to engage in
assistance towing. The endorsement
applies to all licenses except those for
master and mate (pilot) of towing vessels
and those for master or mate authorizing
service on inspected vessels
over 200 gross tons. Holders of any of
these licenses may engage in assistance
towing within the scope of the licenses
and without the endorsement.
(b) An applicant for an assistance
towing endorsement shall pass a written
examination demonstrating his or
her knowledge of assistance towing
safety, equipment, and procedures.
(c) An assistance towing endorsement
on a license as master, mate, or operator
authorizes the holder to engage in
assistance towing on any vessel within
the scope of the license.
(d) The period of validity of the endorsement
is the same as the license on
which it is endorsed, and it may be renewed
with the license.

[CGD 87
017, 53 FR 18562, May 24, 1988, as
amended by USCG

19996224, 64 FR 63235,
Nov. 19, 1999]
§ 10.491 Licenses for service

Old 12-06-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Except, International vessels under 12 meters do not display a steaming cone. 12 meters and under Inland has the option.
This is sorta silly, but for the benefit of other sailors, we ought to be able to answer a simple regulatory question.

I went back and read Rule 25 twice. and I see no size exception in the International Rule 25. That's how I've always remembered it, perhaps I just can't see it. The International Rule is only one sentence long...where the Inland Rule is two sentences, one being an exception for size.

If you read here, FedReq - Pages 22-28 - Equipment Requirements/Navigation Rules the limitation of the size exception to inland is clear.
"
Sailing Vessels Under Power

During the day, vessels under sail also being propelled by machinery, must exhibit forward, where best seen, a conical shape with the apex pointing down (See Figure 9). Vessels less than 12 meters are not required to exhibit the dayshape in inland waters. "

Last edited by sailingfool; 12-07-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
You are not going to let this go are you? Your are using a second hand source that has a 1999 copyright. Boat safety . com. You must have searched along time to find a out of date and inaccurate reference thats supports your misinformation.

Again the link, from the horse's mouth. pages 78 and 79. It is the USCG Navigational rules publication and the one I was quoting from and the one I learned from to get my Masters of Oceans and the one that required to be on board if you are a commercial vessel over 60 meters. But I am sure your sources have more creditably.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/mwv_f...s/navrules.pdf

Last edited by bubb2; 12-07-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-07-2009
Banned

One more thing fool. IF you click on the Red Coast Guard banner of your reference, you will find out that the page you are using to support your claims no longer exits in the federal data base.

Here's your link again and you can try it for yourself.
FedReq - Pages 22-28 - Equipment Requirements/Navigation Rules
Old 12-07-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
One more thing fool. IF you click on the Red Coast Guard banner of your reference, you will find out that the page you are using to support your claims no longer exits in the federal data base.

Here's your link again and you can try it for yourself.
FedReq - Pages 22-28 - Equipment Requirements/Navigation Rules
All I can think is you are so irritated that you arn't reading your own references.

When I click thru on your link above, I get the text below, if you think that text states a length exception for international waters, good luck, up is down, black is white, and I give up:
"
Sailing Vessels Under Power
During the day, vessels under sail also being propelled by machinery, must exhibit forward, where best seen, a conical shape with the apex pointing down (See Figure 9). Vessels less than 12 meters are not required to exhibit the dayshape in inland waters. "

Last edited by sailingfool; 12-07-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Hmmm...thanks for the link, this is what I see on Page 78-79:

"

—INTERNATIONAL—
Lights and Shapes
RULE 25—CONTINUED
(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downwards.

{Image}
Vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by
machinery. Same for Inland except that a vessel of less than
12 meters in length is not required to exhibit the dayshape.

—INLAND—
Lights and Shapes
RULE 25—CONTINUED
(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downward. A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is not required to exhibit this shape, but may do so. "

I'd suggest that you are mis-reading the text if you believe that the exception comment in the IMAGE description is intended to apply to International...if it did, they would have just written it that way.

Understanding these exceptions are what makes the test a challenge. That there might be a difference of opinion as to what the words mean, would indicate the fundamental problem that the Rules are not very well written.
After reading it - I can see how it can be interpreted differently.

It seems that the following sentence - which appears to be a caption under the image in the "INTERNATIONAL— Lights and Shapes" section - is the sticky wicket:

"Vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by
machinery. Same for Inland except that a vessel of less than
12 meters in length is not required to exhibit the dayshape."

The language here, in the caption under the image, SEEMS to state that the exception applies to Inland - not to International. Yet, they put the sentence (arguably) in the International section. So you could read it both ways.

Strange. The government is usually so very clear about stuff.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-07-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
All I can think is you are so irritated that you arn't reading your own references.
Fool, I am not irritated at all. But, I know this stuff inside and out and use to teach it. What causes me concern is there are others reading these posts and misinformation is being quoted as fact. Steaming cones are not a big deal, if it was whistle signals that would be a whole different thing.

one more time: The same as, refers to the size, orientation, and placement of the dayshape

except that a vessel of less than
12 meters in length is not required to exhibit the dayshape., Refers to the
display of the dayshape.(not required means you don't)

Rule 25 is the sailboat Exception to rule 24. When reading rule 25 you must keep in mind it is referring to rule 24. That is the reason for the wording The same as, and except. If you read rule 25 on its own you would not know what size of shape the Coast Guard calls for. You have to go to rule 20 to find that out.

Last edited by bubb2; 12-07-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
If you are to remove the image and caption, here is how the rules read by themselves:

—INTERNATIONAL—
Lights and Shapes
RULE 25—CONTINUED
(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downwards.

—INLAND—
Lights and Shapes
RULE 25—CONTINUED
(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downward. A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is not required to exhibit this shape, but may do so.

So, from a "legal document" standpoint, the question is, does the image caption "count" as legal language in the rules? I don't think it would in most cases. But I'm not sure here.

This is actually a pretty interesting issue.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-07-2009
Banned

Smack I am no lawyer it might. Inland if you want to rig a steaming cone and are under 12 meters (40 feet) you can do so and no one is going to stop you.

It the International part of the rule that does not have the wording, but may do so, that is causing the confusion for some.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.