Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard OUPV question

I am getting geared up to take the OUPV test and I am self studying. The rules of the road section is closed book and I know those very very well. I should be able to pass that section, however I am wondering what they mean by "open book" for the other parts of the exam. For instance can I bring in all of my study guides, Dutton's, etc? I know that the CFRs are there, but what other books are available and what can I bring with me?
Old 12-04-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
They will provide the books for you(or at least they used to). There is a list of all the books available to you available with the testing information. You should be able to find it by searching their website. Realistically, they probably won't be that much help if you have studied. When I took the test, I think that I may have looked up 2 or 3 things in the CFR's and that is it.

There is also a member here who teaches the classes and he might have the list on hand.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
IIRC in addition to the CFR's they have the Coast Pilot's and Chapmans, and some others but they should be able to tell you what is there. You can go there and get familiar with it prior to taking your test, time well spent. Good luck, I home studied too and passed (50 ton) but it ain't easy. I have a friend that teaches classes and he has said he doesn't know how anyone can do it because of the volume of material to cover.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-04-2009

closehauled14 is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't sweat it too bad. If you have the sea time to get your 6 pack, then you probobly already know most of it anyways. The thing that I struggled with was the dayshapes. I still have never seen a dayshape on anything other than a dredge or a ship. Honestly, does anyone fly the cone from the spreaders when motorsailing?
Old 12-04-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
If you are not a seasoned offshore merchantman, to pass the Safety and General section you need to be familiar with the organization, structure and format of the CFRs. From my one exposure to the test, an experienced boater will get about 30-40% of these questions right off the bat, then about half of them can be found by careful searching of the CFRs, if you have some idea what to look for, and of where to look, giving you the 70% passing grade that is required. You can't study the CFRs.
Old 12-04-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
The Open book part is on the Nav Plot, Nav gen, & Deck Gen/safety.
You will have for the area you are testing in; Coast Pilot, Light List, Tide & Current tables and the CFRs (Code of Federal Regulations). Plus a Diagram book that covers all subjects.

For OUPV you may have one or two questions requiring the CFRs.
For Nav Plot & Nav Gen you will need all others that I have listed.

Bring your own plotting tools. Your Caculator can not be programmable. But a good scientific caculator such as a Casio FX300 will do you good. But you have to be really use to it before the exam.

Also the Geographic range table & the Luminous range table are found in the light list. You may have a question or two that may require the use of them.

The deck exam contains; Deck safety, Seamanship, Boat construction, Fire fighting, First aid, CFR, and Weather. The CFRs and the Diagram book are needed here.

Mark (boasun)
Maritime Instructor
USN Ret.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 12-04-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2009

Man, 70%? I should have home studied too, and saved myself some cash. I went to "Sea School", spent $800, and had to make a 90 on everything except rules of the road. Had to score a 100 on that part.
Old 12-04-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by closehauled14 View Post
Man, 70%? I should have home studied too, and saved myself some cash. I went to "Sea School", spent $800, and had to make a 90 on everything except rules of the road. Had to score a 100 on that part.
Well then you are better equiped to work your vessel offshore then....
Consider it money well spent.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 12-04-2009

You're probobly right. I went to their school in Charleston. It took like ten days, but I had a blast while I was down there. Met some pretty cool people too.
Old 12-04-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by closehauled14 View Post
Consider it the best $800 you ever spent compared to going it alone. The classes go over what you will need to pass the tests (since they know what is going to be on the test). You have to study everything on your own because you have no idea what might be asked. It took me three months of studying, a lot, but I passed first time. It's amazing how much I've blanked out already though

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse