Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude, I went over there and said hello. The place is a freakin' graveyard.

I love the L&A attitude, personally. But jeez, if that's party cruising, I'm moving into a convent.
Maybe their sleeping it off...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
the latsand atts magazine is good. the forum is lame and cliquish. this forum and cf seem to be the good ones, and sbo. jmho. btdt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Zee - I'm with you. This SN/LA hookup had some promise. I mean the LA people know how to make sailing appealing to the average schmo. Just look at the pics!!!! And SN had a bit of a stick up the old rumpus in the old days. It needed an injection of cool (and I can't carry the load by myself). So CD was on the right track.

But, hell! Where is the LA chutzpah? Where is the "let's fill the dinghy with breasts and see what happens" kind of attitude toward plying the oceans blue? Bob B must be pullin' a Hefner and living in an iron lung!!!

I'm very disappointed in this so-called "partnership". It had so much potential. But the LA people dropped the ball.

If you are a LA persona grata - grow a pair and step up and inject some fun into the world of sailing. Otherwise, you're nothing more than a subscriber.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Zee - I'm with you. This SN/LA hookup had some promise. I mean the LA people know how to make sailing appealing to the average schmo. Just look at the pics!!!! And SN had a bit of a stick up the old rumpus in the old days. It needed an injection of cool (and I can't carry the load by myself). So CD was on the right track.

But, hell! Where is the LA chutzpah? Where is the "let's fill the dinghy with breasts and see what happens" kind of attitude toward plying the oceans blue? Bob B must be pullin' a Hefner and living in an iron lung!!!

I'm very disappointed in this so-called "partnership". It had so much potential. But the LA people dropped the ball.

If you are a LA persona grata - grow a pair and step up and inject some fun into the world of sailing. Otherwise, you're nothing more than a subscriber.
hay smack!-was wonderin' whenye was gonna come out and say something---- i am glad to know i am not the only one not infatuated.

Old 02-15-2011

badsanta is on a distinguished road
It looks as if LA puts as much interest in this joint effort as there own site. I do love the rag but their Internet effort is showing. What a missed opportunity.
Old 02-15-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
You know, it's the problem that all "old media" faces. How do you make it work digitally? You don't just port the magazine over. Even Rupert Murdoch gets that - and he's 128 years old.

They tried with their "TV Series" - but that sucked....just as bad as OTWA over at SA. And they tried with the radio - and that really sucked.

They had the "edge" - they just had no direction on the digital translation of that edge and how to monetize it. I thought maybe the partnership with SN was a first step toward that.

Oh well, no HuffPo payoff for LA any time soon.

Old 02-15-2011

latsandatts forum was decent before i was turned over to non cruisers to manage . has become the most cliquish site i have seen on internets other than 300zx.com..... not so much fun-- too many nonsailors in the mix. if you are not a friend of one of the moderators, you dont be there. i was kicked out for calling that moderator's wife inappropriate. she was. very much so.

Old 02-15-2011

Bob and his crew are so nice and personable, I do wish them the best. I had assumed they would at least try to drum up some subscriptions. I really enjoyed the first few years of the TV show that I saw on DVD and agree with you about the rest. But it would not take much info or encouragement here to really roll. Come on LA where is the joint effort. I was a member in the LA cruisers club, but got nothing for the money except a nice membership card. I have sense put the money in the cruising kitty. But I was really hoping to be reinvigorated about this.
Old 02-15-2011

well life moves on and they may be kicking back and enjoying life. A lot of things change for the worse when the original people step back from operations. The passing of the reins are never easy. If that be the case. But I remember the days that I read the mag cover to cover and dreamed. Now I have the boat and still dream and I guess I will move on. But I still hope. Come on Latts & Atts, this is your link and here are 4 pages of hope, Do something, check your mail! and answer it, please
Old 02-15-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
latsandatts forum was decent before i was turned over to non cruisers to manage . has become the most cliquish site i have seen on internets other than 300zx.com..... not so much fun-- too many nonsailors in the mix. if you are not a friend of one of the moderators, you dont be there. i was kicked out for calling that moderator's wife inappropriate. she was. very much so.
Yeah - there's another forum that comes to mind that has always been seriously cliquish, lame and hypocritical at almost every level. But I won't go there. Different strokes for different blokes.

I actually logged on over on the L&A forum for the first time in months and saw where Bob was trying to drum up new subscriptions through a "Refer a Friend" program that gives you a store coupon for each referral. He mentioned that subscriptions had fallen off 20% over the past year - and that they needed to get the numbers up to cover printing.

See? That's the problem. He's still focused on printing. Time for a digital approach dude!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-15-2011 at 11:18 AM.