Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Hmm subtle Smack. What forum could you possible be referring to??

Hey Look I agree with all of the above posts. There is two sides to this partnership however, lets admit that as a 'digital medium' Sailnet is somewhat of a dysfunctional family with its only issues.

I hate to say it but the best part of this site was it's heyday and things like the articles........the range of contributors..........and the most recent one of them was like what 9 years ago???? This site is like Grandma and Grandpa's house.......yeah there may be some kids running around down here in the basement having some fun, but guys the house hasn't had a lick of paint in a decade, grandma smells real bad and can't make it down the stairs much anymore and the garage is full of old crap from the good old days.

CD is a visionary, this is one venture in which he tried, as he contiues to try to inject life here, however he is only one guy. If we all, and also the owner of this site won't also inject some life then we may well have something to learn from latts and atts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 02-18-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Hmm subtle Smack. What forum could you possible be referring to??
Heh-heh. Hey "if the tiller cover fits...". No, I won't name names, but I will say that they've come a long way over the past year or so from what I've heard. I hear they're really nice to newbs now, patient with questions they think are ridiculous, and even go out of their way to greet newcomers. All stuff they used to complain about. So what's not to love? I'm just glad I could be a critical part of their seeing the light. Doing good where ever I go. That's my thing.

Now, back to the dinghy full of boobs...and definitely NOT your stinky grandmother's.

My take is that what's missing here are good, frequent articles and other content. The crap in the garage is gold - but it's old. Combining a thriving forum (like Sailnet) with REALLY GOOD, FREQUENT stories/articles some of which are technical, some of which are fun, some of which are about people out there doing it, and some of which are just salacious and fleshy, is what works. You essentially become the HuffPo and/or Newser of sailing with a combination of great stories pulled from across the media world, stories created by users, a few stories created by the editors, etc.

SA almost has it right - but they can't seem to get past the bitter nature that's part of their DNA. And that gets old after a while. Although they too are getting better.

Truth be told, the LA model (based on the biker mag thing) is pretty worn out - but I'd much rather read/look/watch stuff about scantly clad chicks having fun in the Caribbean, mixed with hard-core sailing chicks like Jeanne Socrates, mixed with casual cruisers like Zanshin who tell a good story and take a great pic, mixed with boat reviews by actual owners, etc. - than bounce around to a million sites to get all that, or go to a store and actually buy a wad of paper.

It's doable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-19-2011
Soldier/Sailor

kr3728 is on a distinguished road
Anyone want to clue a newbie in as to where I should look for longer-range planning. Trying to get 2 berths (me, wife) for when we return to UK from Afghanistan.
Old 07-19-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Crew Wanted - SailNet Community

(looks like you already found it)

Welcome to SN dude.

Old 08-10-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
NOOoooooo not stanky granny o,0,,,...,,, Just need a lil l33t sall a place n33ds
At least SN got the ball and playen !

I lurked everywhere for a while but only signed up here , if I'm avg then it a trend lol

I saw no action at Latts & Atts and allways thought it was a corner stone ?( heard of them for years )

Smacky theres something bout using the words "Dink" & "Boobs" in the same sentence ....
Old 07-19-2012
Last Man Standing

Re: So what do we do here?

I just got an email from Bob passing the hat (literally) for his new venture: CRUISING OUTPOST. $250 bucks gets you a 5 year subscription and the hat:

Quote:
We know, money doesn't grow on trees, but the sooner we raise the cost of printing the sooner we can start the print version.
Print? Again? Oh well, I wish him luck.

Old 07-19-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

email from bob passsing hat i believe went to everyone on mailing list. lotta dough considering glossy rags dont come into my boat--i opted out. wasnt impressed with the quality of the forum staff either, so --nogo.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 07-22-2012

Mark S. is on a distinguished road

Wishing Bob the best of luck in down times. You've lived a life so many only dream of, yet so few can process. You've touched heros and mix with all. I hope to see you cruising out there soon!