SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

So what do we do here?

11K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  Mark S. 
#1 ·
I curious...who are the members from L&A here? I'm just wondering what the JV is supposed to be about. They seem like a fun crowd, and definitely know how to throw a party.

So how do we crank this thing up? I can start spinning some Jimmy Cliff if that will get some people out on the floor.

#2 · (Edited)
Hey Smackdaddy,

I have thought the same thing as I do enjoy the Mag. but why is there a section for L & A or Seafairing Magizine as it goes by now days.

Maybe if the good ole' Bob *****'in would make a drop in it would take off. I have dropped in a few times to see what was go'in on in there and have yet to find anything.

SD i'm also a TX sailor. Hope to see ya on the water.

#3 ·
I was wondering the same thing as all I hear on this forum is chricketes. JV = Junior Varsity and SD = sailing daily? I don't know what to think.
Ole Bob *****'in could drop in and I wouldn't even know if he did.
Good on ya' ole Bob.
Crickets...
Yawn.

#4 ·
Alright - we're all confused. So...

Dear Mr. Bitchin',

We would like to formally request a brief audience. We think this JV is a cool idea, but so far it's been like a Junior High dance where we're all sitting around the dance floor, drinking flat punch, adjusting our bowties, and looking longingly at the ladies as "I Can't Fight This Feelin' Anymore" blares over the PA.

Let's get this party started, dude!

Sincerely,

The above three SN members.

#9 ·
Hey, I should keep up on things here. I talked to him at the St. Pete FL boat show a few times. If I had known I could have told him he was being haled. Talked to him at the "Cruisers Party" but he might not have thought I was serious cause I might have dranks a bit.:D

#23 · (Edited)
Still waiting...

Thx SD, been lurking a little while. We have been closing on this boat for more than a month now, feels like forever. I'll start posting something of greater interest once we actually own it for sure... sigh :)

Did Lats&Atts become like so many mags before it, too successful and then more&more glossy and high-endy? And what's with the sort-of name change?

My husband says he wanted to buy a recent issue for plane reading but didn't want to be seen on base with something that had that kind of cover photo :eek: Guess some things haven't changed!

====

Update: July 28, we closed JULY 28!!! Whew that took a while. So maybe in the same manana spirit, Lats & Atts will show up here and do something fun ... some day :)

#16 ·
L&A is a cruising magazine. It had/has some kind of forum...but I think it was a pay thing.

As for what this partnership is supposed to be, your guess is as good as ours. It seems like a good idea. Those dudes know how to party.

But it's been very quiet around here. Too quiet. And that's not like Bob Bitchin' from what I understand.

#18 ·
Celebrities...what did ya expect?.....real people?

#24 ·
Seafaring was added to the name due to magazine stands and book stores were placing it in the travel sections instead of boating.
It's been part of their history to have a pic of a woman on a boat on the cover. I think there has only been a few with out.
I'm currently reading one of Bob Bitchins books, Letters from the Lost Soul. He has a funny way telling stories. Some of the stories aren't that good but he tells them well.

#26 ·
Hi, mostly lurker here.

Since L&A is a west coast mag, how 'bout if this thread is used for discussing uniquely west coast resources, problems, destinations and races?

Just a thought.

Margo

#29 ·
SD Dude,
I thought you were in a convent already? Or was that contempt or incontinent?
All seriousness aside this reminds me of a funny scene from one of the Airplane movies where there is a shot of a Nun on the airplane in uniform reading a copy of 'Boys Life' (glossy photo cover) and right next to her is reading a copy of the magazine 'Nun's Life' (also with a glossy photo cover).

The L&A website occasionally has some interesting articles but I have not checked out if they have a forum or not. Maybe they did not like Smack or maybe it is more like a graveyard as the Smackster alludes. I could also be confusing them with 'Lattitude 38' (?) from SF Bay area.
Latitude 38 - The West's Leading Sailing and Marine Magazine

This thread sure needs a lot of Tabasco sauce to bring it up to worth reading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.