Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Somali Pirate situation - general

An interesting report on the Somali Pirate situation

Why haggle? Somali pirates' ill-gotten wealth driving up prices for everyone

Rik
Old 01-02-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Jeez, these chumps just won't quit. Now a chemical tanker. That just has bad written all over it...

Pirates seize 2 more ships off Somalia’s coast
Cargo ship, chemical tanker are hijacked within hours of each other

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
15 years ago there would have been a simple solution to this issue, shoot first and ask questions later. I really don't understand the problem here! I know that there are economical issues and problems with international fishing in Somli waters but the BS that people were doing this to feed their family's is over. It is now a business for some of these people.

When every major power was faced with piracy throughout history they met force with force, today everyone wants to talk about it... As crude as it is a few head shots or smart bomb to a mud hut and the situation would start to resolve itself.

The 'Rules' don't apply when you are dealing with lawless people. Can you imagine the state of Pakistan if they had to continually stop to talk too the taliban or other extremest groups? Yes I know the two situations are not the same but the principal remains, some people only respond to force.

I do not normally advocate violence but there is no way to change the situation off the North East Coast of Africa... It has gone past the tipping point when goons are pulling in that much money with such little investment. If nothing is done soon this will give carte blanche to other lawless coastal area's of the world where they are looking for an easy way to make money.

Can you imagine if this was happening off the coast of Cuba?!?!

(not saying Cuba is lawless, just imagine what America would do if a couple ships were hijacked off the coast of Cuba)

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

Last edited by krozet; 01-02-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2010

DavidLin is on a distinguished road
Pirates of the oceans

Has anybody thought about the conduct of European and Asian fishing fleet depleting the ocean, and wiping out all forms of life off the coasts of Africa? In the end, local communities have no means of subsistence. Personally, i would become resentful to see large foreign fishing vessels taking away my livelihood and the future of my children. Destroying the marine environment right in front of my eyes: Can we call that another form of terrorism?

I am not trying to justify kidnapping, no, no no..

But the fishing policies of western nations have dire implications and consequences for the already impoverished and vulnerable locals. It is sad.
Old 01-06-2010

Starlyte is on a distinguished road
The head-shot idea works for me.
Old 01-06-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLin View Post
Has anybody thought about the conduct of European and Asian fishing fleet depleting the ocean, and wiping out all forms of life off the coasts of Africa? In the end, local communities have no means of subsistence. Personally, i would become resentful to see large foreign fishing vessels taking away my livelihood and the future of my children. Destroying the marine environment right in front of my eyes: Can we call that another form of terrorism?

I am not trying to justify kidnapping, no, no no..

But the fishing policies of western nations have dire implications and consequences for the already impoverished and vulnerable locals. It is sad.
I'm trying to remember or a pirate attack on a fishing vessel....

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the over fishing problem needs to be addressed desperately but that is an issue for the UN, not pirates.

The pirates have made it clear that they are in it for the money, not social justice. Now if the pirates gave all the money to the government to purchase a couple warships to protect their waters from over fishing? Well then they could say they had a cause (not a right or justified cause mind you) but they are taking the money are living the high life.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 01-06-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
No, I don't think we can call that another form of terrorism.
Old 01-06-2010
NorCal refugee in SoCal

CoastalEddie is on a distinguished road
DavidLin had a valid point. This whole problem with Somali pirate problem started when asian and european factory ships started over-fishing the coastal waters of the western Indian Ocean. The UN, and other international organizations didn't give a damn about the problem (at least, they didn't do anything), and the local fishing fleets fell on hard times. Fishing captains who couldn't make a living anymore got pissed and started to attack, and sometimes hold for ransom, foreign fishing vessels. Some of them soon realized that they could make even more money going after shipping vessels.

All this doesn't excuse their actions, but it does put them in a different perspective. Perhaps if developed countries had respected the economic exclusion zones of african countries (the way they expect their own exclusion zones to be respected), we wouldn't have the current situation.

Last edited by CoastalEddie; 01-06-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2010

dillybar is on a distinguished road
These guys are nothing but opportunistic thugs. For the life of me I cannot understand in this day and age, with all the technology available why this problem can't be dealt with once and for all. I suspect for 1/10th of 1% of what we spend in Afganistan we could station a helocopter capable war ship or two off the coast. Why is there no will to deal with this?
Do marinerss and maritime business have that little political clout?
As far as protecting their fishing rights goes IF they had only attacked commercial fishing vessels they might have some credibility and garnered some support, but we all know that's not the case.

Last edited by dillybar; 01-06-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I don't see how any of this puts piracy in a different perspective.

What is this new perspective?

I know you're not saying it's the "actually piracy is okay" perspective because you've both said that you don't think piracy is okay.

Is it's the "we have to stop them but then apply a more lenient punishment because of mitigating circumstances" perspective? Well fine, but let's stop them first and worry about punitive measures later.

I hope it's not the "maybe if we talk to them we can work out our differences" perspective... surely history teaches us that that never works against a large movement that has gathered any momentum.

Maybe it's the "I just wanted to raise awareness of the context here" perspective, in which case thanks for reminding me that while we may have fished in their waters, we have not been accused of kidnapping them and holding them for ransom.

So yeah I'm not seeing how the knowledge that we were bad to them in the past puts the present in any new perspective.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.