SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Road Trip to the Coast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/60362-road-trip-coast.html)

MatthewM 12-07-2009 10:27 AM

Road Trip to the Coast

Hello guys,

I started a thread "Where to Live?" a while ago. Now my wife and I are making a road trip this week to see some of the places suggested. After a lot of talking and researching we decided to start out visiting Southport NC, and probably heading north from there up to the Chesapeake Bay area.

We are interested in any suggestions about our trip, as far as what towns we should look at, sights to see, anything. It is our first trip to the east coast. Hope to hear some thoughts.

We will be leaving from Indiana, and have a few days to explore.

Thanks,

Matthew

Joesaila 12-07-2009 07:58 PM

Chesapeak bay

That sounds like a great area, I wouldn't go much further North this time of year. Great sailing in the spring & summer but its only a 5 month season. Me I'm hoping to venture south soon :)

paulk 12-07-2009 08:26 PM

Touristy places:
Mariner's Museum Newport News VA
Williamsburg VA
Monticello VA
Mt. Vernon VA
Annapolis MD
Washington DC...
You may have to move there and explore every weekend for ten years to see everything there is.

wwilson 12-07-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewM (Post 548620)
We are interested in any suggestions about our trip, as far as what towns we should look at, sights to see, anything. It is our first trip to the east coast. Hope to hear some thoughts.

Matthew,

(Where to live) If you make it up to the Chesapeake look at Cape Charles, VA, Onancock, VA, and Urbanna, VA. All three are very quiet - off the beaten path, pretty little towns that you might like. The first two are on Virginia's Eastern Shore i.e. well off the beaten path, Urbanna is up the Rappahannock R. on the west side of the bay. All are sailing towns.

Visit Williamsburg, VA and the Yorktown Battlefield and walk through the (Chesapeake) Waterman's Museum on the York River by Yorktown. There's plenty more - I'll stop there.

Wayne

Tempest 12-07-2009 08:58 PM

So much to see, So little time.....

Keeping with the water theme, I might try Oriental, NC and then head to Edenton, NC, St Michaels Island Md. and of course, Annapolis...

Edenton is always on somebodys best places to retire list.

MatthewM 12-08-2009 09:02 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are leaving in about an hour, planning on camping in WV tonight. I should be able to pick up the internet a few times on the trip, so more thoughts are welcome.

I will give an update of the trip when I can.

Thanks again,

Matthew

PalmettoSailor 12-08-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwilson (Post 548795)
Matthew,

(Where to live) If you make it up to the Chesapeake look at Cape Charles, VA, Onancock, VA, and Urbanna, VA. All three are very quiet - off the beaten path, pretty little towns that you might like. The first two are on Virginia's Eastern Shore i.e. well off the beaten path, Urbanna is up the Rappahannock R. on the west side of the bay. All are sailing towns.

Visit Williamsburg, VA and the Yorktown Battlefield and walk through the (Chesapeake) Waterman's Museum on the York River by Yorktown. There's plenty more - I'll stop there.

Wayne

I didn't see your other thread. Are you looking for a place to retire? If so, the above are not bad suggestions.

I'd add the Whitestone/Irvington/Deltaville area to the list as well.

If you want to keep working the Tidewater area of VA probably has more to offer.

Onancock was voted among the 10 coolest small towns in America by readers of Budget Travel Magazine. It is a neat place to hang out on the "Liars Bench" by the town docks and watch the transients come and go.