Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Indeed!....
Yep..part of it can be attributed to the foil affect of the keel as well..As said many factors indeed.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2009

Tempest is on a distinguished road
yes...many things...and we haven't mentioned proper tuning of the standing rigging, mast rake..etc

I think there's a lot more that goes into determining weather or lee helm than whether the boat is heeled over.

So my answer to the op's question would be.....it depends
Old 12-07-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by alman View Post
When you are heeled hard over, does it produce lee helm or weather helm?
On our boat, it produces a "yeehaw".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-07-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I believe most boats are designed with the center of lateral resistance (Clr) forward of the center of effort, (Ce), so that they will have weather helm when they get over powered going to windward. I also believe the keels angle of attack will change as the boat is heeled over resulting in more lift to windward, up to the point it stalls and the boat rounds up. If you loose control of the boat temporarily, I think most would agree its better to do so with the bow to weather. I'd never thought of the differential of lwl between windward and leeward, but it might be an additive factor, though I still believe that most of the turning force is a result of the relationship of Clr and Ce.

Admittedly, my experince is pretty limited, but every boat (Tartan 37, Tartan 40, Oday 322, Catalina 36, Catalina 350, Beneteau 411) I've sailed has demonstrated weather helm when they get to the point of being over powered. This is with the crews paying attention to proper sail trim and focusing on pointing as well as they could.

I think if the boat is showing lee helm going to weather, there is probably a rigging issue that needs to be addressed or a poor design, but I stand ready to be edu-macated by the more erudite members of Sailnet.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 12-09-2009 at 08:09 AM.