Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009

mstern is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorNate View Post
Mstern,
By the way, whats a monkey/parrot jungle?

They are "tourist attractions". Monkey Jungle is in Miami, but in the southernmost part of town that still has farms. It is "where the humans are caged and the monkeys are free". You walk thru caged pedestrian ways in a jungle setting where lots of monkeys roam about freely. The monkeys don't run away because they get fed. You can feed them and watch them up close and personal. I also remember that they have more traditional zoo-like exhibits for bigger primates like gorillas and such. Parrot Jungle is a higher rent place that is located on one of the islands in Biscayne Bay between Miami and Miami Beach. It focuses (surprise, surprise) on parrots and other birds. they have displays and shows where trained birds ride bikes and do other tricks. Both are really just specialized zoos. If you want that, the Miami Zoo is really a world-class place itself. My grandparents used to take me to both, and I have taken my kids to both. Not really in the romantic category of activities, and you need a car to get to either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2009

btw, I just took a quick look at the show's website. They have moved the sailboat part of the show from its own venue (its been at Bayside Marina for about the past 10 years) and consolidated it with the power boats at one marina. Considering that in past years the power boat show was big enough to need two in-water venues on its own, this move has to be indicative of the sad state of the marine industry.
Old 01-05-2010

SailorNate is on a distinguished road
Anyone know of a discount promotion code for tickets this year? I see Facebook has a contest going if they get 500 posts but they are below 100 so far. I also see there were 50% discount coes for Chicago. Anyone know of any they would like to share?

Nate

Last edited by SailorNate; 01-05-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2010

reillyjd is on a distinguished road
Where can I see which boat models will be shown at Miami Strictly Sail? The website is not very helpful.
Old 02-06-2010
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
The Sailboat portion of the show is at Sea Isle, the marina just south of Bayside. There is a free water taxi back and forth to both marina's. The Strictly Sail portion is very very small this year. Almost no sailboats in the water. Benneteau, Jenneanu, (Sunsail and Moorings) and Island Packet yachts will be there. The Catamaran Company will be there for the multihulls. That's it. Catalina and Hunter, both Florida companies are absent this year. Very sad to say.
I will be working the SSCA booth on Sunday from 2-4pm. It is over at Sea Isle by the Marriott Hotel. If around come say Hi.
For those that want to go sailing, Friday and Saturday I will out in the bay I hope. Let me know for I need crew because I had surgery on my shoulder a month ago. Email me here or at Melrna2001 at yahoo
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 02-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
The Sailboat portion of the show is at Sea Isle, the marina just south of Bayside. There is a free water taxi back and forth to both marina's. The Strictly Sail portion is very very small this year. Almost no sailboats in the water. Benneteau, Jenneanu, (Sunsail and Moorings) and Island Packet yachts will be there. The Catamaran Company will be there for the multihulls. That's it. Catalina and Hunter, both Florida companies are absent this year. Very sad to say.
I will be working the SSCA booth on Sunday from 2-4pm. It is over at Sea Isle by the Marriott Hotel. If around come say Hi.
For those that want to go sailing, Friday and Saturday I will out in the bay I hope. Let me know for I need crew because I had surgery on my shoulder a month ago. Email me here or at Melrna2001 at yahoo
Ouch. That's sad. Just a couple of years ago, the Stricly Sail show was huge. So are the power boats and sailboats together at one location? That's what I thought after looking at the show website, but it looks from your post that there will be two in-water locations. Sorry to say I won't be there this year, but I would be very interested in your views on how it goes. I just happened to go to the Hartford Boat Show a couple of weeks ago. It is a powerboat show, and it was fairly crowded.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.