SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is Strictly Sail Miami a good show? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/60401-strictly-sail-miami-good-show.html)

MikeinLA 12-08-2009 04:52 PM

Is Strictly Sail Miami a good show?

Hi all. I've been thinking of checking out Florida and thought I'd plan a trip to coincide with a boat show. The Strictly Sail Miami show is in February and I'm wondering if it's usually a good show. I'm hoping to see some of the east coast boats that never come to SoCal shows. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Mike

cesarid 12-09-2009 11:15 AM

It is better than the Strickly Sail Show in Chicago but heard it can't match the Annapolis Boat Show. Hey it's a boat show, they are all great!

Yorksailor 12-09-2009 11:39 AM

It was not as good last year, many companies stayed away, but it is usually well worth the visit. There is a free sailing trip program too to get you out on the water.

Phil

mstern 12-09-2009 12:01 PM

It is a very good show, especially if you like catamarans. If I compare it to Newport, its not quite as good, but only because its really spread out. The Strictly Sail portion of the Miami Boat show is a self-contained event, but is part of the much larger Miami Boat Show. The rest of the boat show is at two or three other locations, one large in-water exhibit, and one very large indoor exhibit. Your ticket to Strictly Sail will get you in to any of the venues, and free shuttle buses run continuously among the locations. If you just want to see sailboats, you never have to leave Strictly Sail (which has been located at Bayside Marketplace for the past several years, a nice outdoor mall). However, if you want to buy accessories, you will want to take a side trip to the Miami Beach Convention Center. That's where the indoor portion of the Miami Boat Show takes place. There are some vendors at Bayside, but the majority of the guys who sell binoculars, electronics, clothing, or anything that power boaters also use will be at the Convention Center. Enjoy.

silverbranch 12-09-2009 12:13 PM

I think I'm going to this show too. I've got a room reserved at the Doubletree hotel which looks like it's right at the marina where a lot of the sailboats will be shown. There's a Latts & Atts concert/party Sat night. I'm probably going to combine it with a short cruise and make a nice vacation out of it.

nereussailor 12-09-2009 09:51 PM

Strictly Sail Miami

Miami has a great show if you like to check out the newest and coolest boats. I like the Chicago show for the seminars, and Miami for the boats. I haven't been to the Annapolis show yet, but I've heard that that is the best one from a lot of people. Maybe I'll catch that one next year.

Dave

RealityCheck 12-11-2009 07:39 PM

On the Eastern seaboard is it #2 after Annapolis but still worth the trip as is the St. Pete show which is smaller but as well presented.

SailorNate 12-28-2009 12:07 PM

Anyone have any ideas on cool spots / places to spend some time away from the boat show? Im in Afghanistan right now and while on R&R I am going to get my boat fix. But I want to spend some time away from the crowds with my girl, who while tolerant of my pastime (and the 44 kelly peterson in the driveway whithout a single complaint) does not share the same level of obsession I do. Something fun for a couple away from the show for bit? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nate

mstern 12-28-2009 02:11 PM

Nate: First, thank you for your service.

As to your question, you are in Miami, there are a zillion things to do. Here's what my wife likes to do when we are in Miami: go to South Beach. A walk along Ocean Drive is free entertainment. Lots of trendy clubs, stores and restaurants, but the people watching is free. Very poplular with eurpoeans. Go at night and see the models, eurotrash, and other tourists. Also, Lincoln Walk is a pedestrian way in the middle of South Beach. Even more restaurants and shops. We like Crandon Park, which is a city beach on Key Biscayne. Lots of room, beautiful beaches, bathrooms, snack bar, etc. If you like flea markets, go up to Deerfield, about 40 minutes north of Miami. The flea market is right off the exit from Florida's Turnpike, Sample Road. Its indoor, with a food court and lots of actually good stuff mixed in with the usual crap. Of course, there are about a jillion other tourist things to do, like Monkey Jungle, Parrot Jungle, etc. What is it that you are looking for? Tourist? Romantic? Shopping? Eating? Will you have a car? Btw, I just saw an ad for the Miami show, and I see it is in a new location this year. I wonder why?

SailorNate 12-30-2009 05:39 AM

Mstern,
Thanks for the reply, sounds like Ocean drive is a cool place to check out. I was thinking about renting a car but I didnt want to spend a bunch of time worrying about parking, maybe get one anyhow for checking out the town. Someplace romantic is the ticket, for starters and maybe check out whats over on Ocean drive after. By the way, whats a monkey/parrot jungle?

Nate