Floating Doctors, are they back from their voyage yet? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010
Seńor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Yep, I've dinghied past their vessel several times a day now for the last two days. They are firmly attached to the Riviera Beach Municipal Marina dock.

I've yet to see anyone on deck, but they've got LOTS of banners flying soliciting donations.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm very impressed that they made it as far as they did... Averaging a whole 12.8 nm per day... or .533 nm per hour... very impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
Wow, 192 miles in 15 days +/-, way to go!!!! and they caught a fish.

http://floatingdoctors.com/

Dr. Ben is proud of of the way his crew handled the "Open Ocean" transit. I can't wait for the next 19,800 miles (keep in mind that Haiti is only the first leg).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-14-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
Wow, 192 miles in 15 days +/-, way to go!!!! and they caught a fish.

http://floatingdoctors.com/

Dr. Ben is proud of of the way his crew handled the "Open Ocean" transit. I can't wait for the next 19,800 miles (keep in mind that Haiti is only the first leg).

we do that in a day, and more often. Of course we're not loaded down like them. Although we are carrying the wife's shoes ........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 04-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Your wife's nickname is Imelda I take it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
we do that in a day, and more often. Of course we're not loaded down like them. Although we are carrying the wife's shoes ........i2f

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-14-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey they got started. They've got my respect for that.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-14-2010

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Just to explain my interest....

I have been following the Floating Doctor(s) for a while and feel that I should explain my interest. I have served/worked in a number of "developing" countries and have a somewhat jaundiced view of some "aid' agencies. I hold the view that, either;

a. Dr. Ben is an outstanding individual who has set up a group that will eventually outshine "Doctors Without Borders".
OR
b. Dr. Ben leads a group of well meaning, but naive, under-qualified medical students with the misguided goal of bringing "enlightened" Western medicine to "primitive" people, using an unsuitable sailboat manned by the same under-qualified crew.
OR
c. Dr. Ben is an egotistical scam artist.
OR
d. A combination of all of the above.

If a. proves true I will happily contribute to the group. If either b. or c. proves correct I will be upset as this would not be a victimless undertaking. It will have served to divert resources from areas that desperately need help (e.g. Haiti). It will further serve to sour potential contributors to effective aid groups (e.g. Partners In Health (PIH)).

All I plan to do is to monitor the progress of the group and post details here. I hope that members will indulge me.

Thanks

Gerry

Last edited by gtod25; 04-14-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-14-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Appreciate the updates.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-14-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Same here. Thanks G.

As an ex-Peace Corps volunteer, I know exactly what you're saying with "b". I was one of those and saw how miserably Third World Development with this intent fails miserably.

So my money's on "b".....maybe with a smidgin of "c" because I've never met a fundraiser of any stripe that didn't have a little bit of those qualities in them.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-19-2010

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Floating doctors in Miami.....

Last edited by gtod25; 04-19-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2010

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
You did realize that "Dr. Ben" isn't licensed, recognized, legal to act as a Physician in the U.S.
It only says...
"Ben interned and worked as a medical doctor in the Irish Health Care System"

What the hell does that mean?
I see no place where he's earned a PhD. or Medical Degree.
The chicks ARE hot.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs