Floating Doctors, are they back from their voyage yet? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Relax Cardiacpaul....

I don't want you passing out because of either Dr. Ben or the chicks.

He actually IS a MD. Qualified in the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland. Sort of an expensive school for rich kids, mostly from the Middle and Far East. May not be board certified in the States, but probably didn't kill anyone in the Irish Health care system

I met him briefly today and he came across as OK. I suspect a combination of ego and naïveté. He was good enough to chat for a while and I told him that I had followed his blog. I pointed out that he had a long way to go as he planned to cross the Pacific. He then hinted that "maybe we will stay between here and Central America, as there are lots of poor people to help". I suspect that the reality of the undertaking has/is sinking in.

There was a total lack of movement onboard that I would not associate with a relief mission. The only other guy around was Nicolas the "Clinical Director" he was on his cell phone but was polite enough to address me as "Sir" which I hope reflects on his militarily background and not my advanced years. Tragically no sign of the ladies.

I was more concerned about the stowage of all the stuff on the bow. I never found that sticking a life-raft on the pointy end was a good idea. Dr. Ben did say that he was sorry he hadn't gotten round to painting the uppedecks. This concern might have caused by the fact that they were berthed behind a luxury hotel near two super yachts. I bit my tongue and did not suggest that the time might be better used stowing all the crap as low in the vessel as possible even if they had to sleep on deck.

I suspect that we will see the vessel languishing back in the States at some time in the future and Dr. Ben will be on the motivational speaking circuit.

But as I say, I've been wrong before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I would just love Ben to prove us all wrong. Please, Ben, amaze the world. Seriously. It'll be hard as hell - but you've GOT to do it.

Pity about the chicks. They were the best part of the whole thing. I was this close to signing up as skipper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-20-2010

Ok, Now I might be getting a bit annoyed.....

New message on the FD(s) facebook page.

"Help us raise the funds to get the rest of our supplies left in Miami to leave room for our Haiti Load shipped to us! $5 from 1000 people will give us the money to be able to get them without us sailing back to the United States!"

"On Twitter; $5 from a 1000 people will get us the fuel to carry on with our mission and get our supplies to us!"

I thought the reason for having this boat was to get the supplies to where they were needed. Now you are going to ship supplied to next location after Haiti (possibly DR). So why spend two years working on a donated boat, installing a lot of donated equipment and then shipping stores by container. There is a reason why the world no longer moves cargo around in small sailboats!!!!!!!!!

Passed the Southern Wind again today (I was moving a sailboat - great day on the water).

At least the Air Conditioners are working! Please, please cover the sails.

Old 04-21-2010

Miami, we have lift off....

Southern Wind has sailed. "Crossing the gulf stream is a beautiful thing!". I wish them Fair Winds and a safe and successful trip. Weather forecast looks good.

Old 04-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
at the speed they made in their previous voyage, it might take them a month to cross the gulfstream...... I hope their weather window holds.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-23-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
As I type it is a 5 knot beam reach if they are heading straight for the Jumientos, and then south to the Windward Passage. Hopefully they have LOTS of fuel!............i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 04-28-2010

Floating Doctor(s) arrived in Haiti..

From their Facebook page;

Floating Doctors | Facebook

Well done. Having spent 6 months in that "amazing" country their first reaction will be WTF!

Old 05-16-2010

Smack... here's your chance....berths available

End of week two in Petit-Goave «

"It is an exciting thing to be here at this time—if anyone wants to come, this is a chance to meet a culture in transition, and to put some fruit back on the tree. Get in contact while there are berths available onboard!"

Dr. Ben is still waxing lyrical. His dream of "a multi-skilled, highly adaptable relief team aboard a self-sufficient support platform that could use 21st Century medical technology, classical medical diagnostics and adaptability to different needs and resources to create long-term health benefits in developing world communities, making a difference one person at a time." has obviously been realized. Pity about the generator.

I not saying he is not doing "some" good, its just a "bang for the buck" thing. Speaking of bucks they still need donations to ship their supplies out to them. My donation is on hold for the moment.

Old 05-16-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Meh - 2 years in the Peace Corps. I've done my time.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-20-2010

motorboater is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Floating boating

Has anyone checked out the renovation pictures. Some bucks were put into this boat! No wonder there is no money left over to buy fuel and to ship supplies. Not sure who is left on the crew-still one MD, not licensed in the US. The Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin is a reputable medical school but the real training comes in post residency. I don't see any evidence of post graduate training. As a surgeon I trained for 6 years after medical school and then went on to Board Certification as reassurance of standard quality training. Don't see any evidence of that here. Some people may say credentials do not matter but like it or not this group and any group for that matter working over seas are diplomats of the US by default. One bad outcome and they could end up like the religious group who tried to smuggle Haitian children out of the country: in jail.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.