Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009

janmayen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to janmayen
The Atlantic - Chicago Howto

Just a quick "Hello and sorry for a maybe not so well english..." but now to the topic:

I am planing to sail from Europe to the US next year. The trip should continue to Chicago and down to Mobile later. But how to get to Chicago? At the moment I am in a little confusion weather to sail down all the Way from the Halifax Area or skip a few Miles and find a passage from the NY Area to the lakes.

So...suggestions are very welcome!

(I found some publications at "Skipper Bob" but it turned out to be difficult to optain them in Europe.)

thanks for all kinds of help.
Hinnerk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2009

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
NY up the hudson then thru the Erie canal to Lake Erie
Note on passing thru the Chicago canal to the Mississippi .... right now they are having problems with asian carp , the electric field to keep them out of the Great Lakes isn't working as well as expected. Many of us Great Lakes boaters are trying to get them to shut down the canal to save the lakes. Don't know what the situation will be next year, if it will still be open?
Old 12-09-2009
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
We took the St Lawrence to the Welland canal then through the lakes. Great trip. They just poisoned the carp so the canal to the Mississippi should be open next year. The advantage of the Seaway is you can leave your mast up all the way to Chicago. For the canal trip you can get it unstepped at Larsen's (Waukegan) or Crowleys (Chicago).

Like your user name- We'd like to visit there some time in the future.

Last edited by cormeum; 12-09-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2009

so it's still 50/50 :-/ but with some more detailed information.

Would be a great surprize to sail all the way into the Great Lakes an back because a carp made the locks locked ...

I am sailing that part single hand and a few people warned me about the locks on St.Lawrence. And very rough conditions for a just 31ft vessel. I mean normally stuff like doing locks singlehand is nothing new to me... And keeping the mast up on that trip sounds very good.

Jan Mayen - its pretty cold up there and does not eaven have a harbour... but beeing there you can say "Sibiria is now in somewhere south"...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2009

Gary M is on a distinguished road
You are not allowed to go through the Welland canal near Niagara Falls single handed, you must have three boat handlers on board. You could likely find some helpers here but you would need to set that up ahead of time.

Not sure if that applies to other canals or not but suspect it does.

Good Luck

Gary
Old 12-09-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
You can do the NY canals singlehanded. They are fairly easy, small locks built for barges, not ocean going vessels. Highest lift is about 40 feet. One main attraction is that you go through a lot of small, friendly towns and you can tie up every night for nothing. Beautiful trip up the Hudson from NY City and then a scenic trip through upper and western NY state.

Old 12-09-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
I like the St. Lawrence route, probably because I am used to larger vessels. The coast of Nova Scotia is really nice (assuming that you can see something). This trip involves a lot more sailing.

Some of the legs will be long enough that you will have to make them overnight in a boat your size or really hug the coast. I don't know whether being solo and sailing overnight worries you or no but I like to always have someone on watch.
Old 12-09-2009

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
I second cruisingdreams's recommendation. I've done the Hudson River and a good part of the Erie Canal singlehanded and had no difficulties. Getting your mast stepped and unstepped is no big deal at either end of "Clinton's Ditch".

Have read blogs about cruising the St. Lawrence. As I recall, tides, currents, and weather offer real challenges, even to those heading downstream.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2009

Oh that's a point I have not concidered yet: It's upstream... I start to like these NY canals more and more... Eaven if it must be a beautiful scenic along the St. Lawrance route.

Old 12-10-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
check out America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association lots of info on what you want. Hope it helps.