Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
You are welcome!
I know a guy who kept his boat in Sheepshead bay mooring field. He wasn't member of any club. I know that he just blow up his dinghy somewhere and paddle to a boat. I'll try to reach him tomorrow and pry some info about Brooklyn.
Old 12-11-2009

AndrewMac is on a distinguished road
I've spent a lot of time looking into Brooklyn options - seems you really need to go to Sheepshead Bay area, at which opint there are a lot of choices. I'm in Carroll Gardens and was hoping to find something a bit closer - in or around Red Hook, for instance, but no luck there. Supposed to get a Marina in Brooklyn Bridge Park, but who know when that will actually get built (and isn't, obviously, a mooring). If you come across any options in the Upper Bay I'd love to hear about it - good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Sheepshead bay update.

I didn't reach the guy, but I spoke to his (and mine) friend. It seems like mooring permits are obtainable through same Park Office.
There is a 24/7 launch service available for $800 year.
There is a yacht club.
However, for cash starved it is possible to launch very light/inflatable boat somewhere off commercial docks of Emmons avenue. Friend described it as "ladder down to water level". Parking can be scarce there - it is busy street with lots of waterfront entertainment.

I did a lot of dog walking in the area in past. There is also access to water at the mouth of the bay, off Brigham street, it is fishermen's favorite spot. Small light boat can be launched there if you don't mind to curry it a hundred or so yards and row/paddle into bay, sometimes against a tide...
Old 12-11-2009

brob76 is on a distinguished road
$800 is very reasonable for a mooring/launch service. The yacht clubs in Sheepshead I checked with were in the range of $3K/yr. Thought that was quite excessive since all I need is a mooring/dink launch. Thanks for checking...I'm going to look into that.
Old 12-12-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
I love that Sheepshead Bay area. I grew up in Manhattan Beach right there. My uncle taught sailing out of Kingsborough Community College. It has undergone a bit of a revitalization. A benefit of mooring there is that once you get off the boat there are tons of things to do within walking distance.

That said, it isn't known as the greatest sailing area around, depending on what type of sailing you want to do. If you're dead set at being in NYC, how about the 79th Street Boat Basin?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2009

I lived in the area (Midwood) when I was growing up and love the bay. I was attracted to Sheepshead because of easy offshore access. I'm trying to get all the offshore experience I can as I would like to do at least a partial circumnavigation in a few years.
I moored a boat at the 79th st BB a few years back. It was very convenient since I lived on the UWS but the commercial/recreational traffic and current made it almost unbearable. Plus, how many times can you sail up and down the Hudson. Beautiful scenery but it gets boring after awhile.
Old 12-13-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brob76 View Post
Plus, how many times can you sail up and down the Hudson. Beautiful scenery but it gets boring after awhile.
I agree with that for sure, but you're going to have the same issue at Sheepshead. Out to the ocean, get beat up a little bit, then back home, with less scenery. At least at 79th, you can easily sail down to the upper harbor where the sailing and scenery are great, though there is a fair bit of traffic.

The concept of having places to go and things to do is an issue you should consider. I get the concept of wanting ocean experience, but you're not really going to get that by doing day sails from Sheepshead Bay. You are going to need to do passages for that, even if they are just one or two nighters at first. Keeping the boat in Sheepshead is not going to make much of a difference for that kind of thing, IMHO.

If it were me, and these things are entirely personal preference and subjective, I'd pick a spot that offers more in the way of easy access to good places to go. For your (our) area, that really is Long Island Sound. I know you say you've had a boat at City Island, so I presume you know the pluses and minuses of the western Sound, but perhaps consider something out east (Sag Harbor, Three Mile Harbor, Conn. River, Mysic/Noank). It's very pretty, the wind is great, plenty of places to go for great weekend and week trips, and it gives you relatively easy access to the ocean, depending on where you choose to keep the boat. The negative of course is that you would need to drive the better part of two hours to get to the boat from the city. Just food for thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2009

Very good points. I really enjoy sailing the upper harbor...can't beat the scenery. And you're right...how much ocean sailing can you really do after work? I love City Island and sailing the LI Sound in general but for me, it's not worth doing the "Cross Bronx Crawl" each way. Starting to think about a live-aboard situation possibly in Liberty Harbor. The slip/electric/water charges would be about 1/4 of my current rent. I also work downtown so the commute would be shorter than my current commute. Now to sell this idea to the little lady.....
Old 12-13-2009

NaviGsr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
If it were me, and these things are entirely personal preference and subjective, I'd pick a spot that offers more in the way of easy access to good places to go. For your (our) area, that really is Long Island Sound. I know you say you've had a boat at City Island, so I presume you know the pluses and minuses of the western Sound,
Could you elaborate a bit on the pluses and minuses of keeping a boat at City Island?
Old 12-13-2009

AndrewMac is on a distinguished road
I don't have first hand experience, but spent a fair amount of time researching it. Seemed that the pluses included: sheltered waters so no ocean swell, interesting places to go for overnights on no. shore of LI and CT shore, relatively easy access to NYC (closer than LI and westchester/CT ports), less boat traffic/currents than the upper bay and pretty reasonable cost wise. Big downside, as I was told, was light winds during the summer months (I was told that "the western sound is where wind goes to die") - spring and fall are supposedly good though. Like I said, I don't have first hand experience, but spent a fair amount of time looking into it and that was what I came up with.