Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I think that sums it up nicely.

One thing about city island..from my research, there's no diesel fuel at least none that I'm aware of... where does everyone get fuel, Manhasset?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2009

brob76 is on a distinguished road
Pluses for CI are that it is accessible by public transit from the city (though it takes over an hour and the line is not all that safe after hours), access to Manhasset Bay and the entire north and south shore of the LI sound, lots of restaurants and shopping all within walking distance, handful of full service marinas and yacht clubs.

Minuses are the that it's a pain to get to by car or public transit (Port Washington just across in Manhasset bay is actually easier via public transit), western sound is very crowded on a nice day (although less than the upper bay), wind sucks in the summer (predominate SW breeze goes over a lot of land before reaching the western sound), marinas I've dealt with on the island are overpriced and the people running them are rude and don't seem to want your business.

I don't have personal experience with the clubs on the island but I've heard good things about each. If you really like the western sound, I recommend that you check out Port Washington or New Rochelle.
Old 12-13-2009

A lot of the people I met on CI go up to Nichols in Larchmont for diesel.

Last edited by brob76; 12-13-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2009

AndrewMac is on a distinguished road
I looked into a club there that was pretty reasonable - think it ran about $500-$600 for launch service and they would prorate, which worked for me as I keep the boat in maine for the summer and was looking for a place to keep her in the fall around NYC (also mitigated the wind problem for me as I understand the winds to be generally good September-Thanksgiving). I was concerned about access. Kept imagining getting stuck on the BQE after a great sail and arriving back in Brooklyn having lost my post-sail peace of mind. As for public transport, I've taken that 6 train before and it gets [I]real[I] local once you hit the Bronx. Never did check out manhassat/port wash as it didn't occur to me that it was quicker - makes sense though with the LIRR (solves the traffic problem anyway). Any recommendations/experience on clubs out that way?
Old 12-14-2009

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Pleased with Western L.I. Sound

A good tool to graphically search out mooring fields/marinas/yacht clubs is Active Captain ActiveCaptain - The Interactive Cruising Guidebook - Marina Reviews, Fuel Prices, Anchorages.

Just put my Catalina 25 up for the winter at a club (Stuyvesant YC) on City Island after two seasons in Mamaroneck. Pleased with the new place...friendly, competitive, accessible.

Re: public transport from NYC, if you're thinking about the LIRR's Port Washington branch, consider also MetroNorth's New Haven division out of Grand Central Terminal. From New Rochelle station (about 30 min. from GCT), New Rochelle Harbor is 1.25 miles and Echo Bay (municipal marina) is 1 mile. From Mamaroneck train station (35 min. from GCT), entrance to Harbor Island Park (surrounded by YCs and marinas in two harbor basins ) is 0.5 miles walk down a main shopping street.
Old 12-14-2009

Great - thanks. Will check those places out.
Old 12-14-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaviGsr View Post
Could you elaborate a bit on the pluses and minuses of keeping a boat at City Island?
I was talking about the pluses and minuses of western LIS, not City Island specifically. To sum it up, western LIS offers tons of great places to go with deep harbors, you sail in relatively protected water, there are lots of services for boaters, and there are many active sailing fleets. The negatives are light wind in the heart of the summer, the water is not the cleanest (though getting better), and there's a bit of traffic in certain spots.

I've never kept a boat at City Island, so I don't have that level of personal experience. The general story with City Island though is that it has a lot of really good restaurants, even more so-so restaurants, and it's got a sort of "urban art deco" kind of feel. Hard to describe, but it's the Bronx, you know you're in the Bronx when you're there, but it's also a yachting center, and it's got that kind of feel too. There are places where you can get good and serious work done, and there are places to keep your boat as well, whether on a mooring or at a slip. It actually is not that convenient of a place to get to by land, particularly from Manhattan. Though it's got its merits, it would not be my first choice for a place to keep a boat in the area, particularly if you live in the city and are looking for a place to keep a boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMac View Post
... I was concerned about access. Kept imagining getting stuck on the BQE after a great sail and arriving back in Brooklyn having lost my post-sail peace of mind. ...
Any recommendations/experience on clubs out that way?
We used to keep our boat out at Great Neck in Steppingstone Marina/Park (available to Great Neck residents only) and commute from Bklyn & Manhattan. I can attest to the phenomenon of a traffic jam harshing my after sail mellow. The LIE and any roadway around NYC in the summer time can be choked with traffic, especially in summer. Using mass transit makes sense if you don't have too much gear to carry. LIRR from Bklyn to LI is not a bad way to go but most stations are at least a mile from the shore with the exception of Oyster Bay which is right at the water front
Consider the Hempstead Harbor Club as well: Hempstead Harbour Club - Since 1891
It is a working club and the dues used to be a lot cheaper then most 'yacht clubs' (<$2k/year including winter IIRC). They only have moorings but have a launch service and a nice club house. It is about a mile from the Sea Cliff and Glen Street stops on the Oyster Bay line and about an hours train ride from Bklyn.
There is also the Glen Cove Yacht Club which should cost <$1K/year but does not include winter haul out. Glen Cove Yacht Club - Glen Cove, Long Island, New York
As JJ noted, the Mamaroneck train station is walkable (about 1/2 mile) to the waterfront. I am fairly certain that the marinas there are full price/full service places like Brewer's - I could be wrong though.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2009

Caleb -

Thanks for the info. Looked at the links - very helpful and interested to check them out in the spring.
Old 12-15-2009

If you're interested in CI, you can get a mooring for $35/ft with launch service from New York Sailing Center. They operate out of Consolidated Yacht's yard. I had my boat there last season and was pleased with the service. Just don't like the drive. Also, North Minneford marina which is right next door has a good deal on winter storage: $30/ft for boats under 30 ft.